BBO Discussion Forums: Do you enjoy barometer scoring at pairs? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you enjoy barometer scoring at pairs?

#21 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-29, 11:52

the sacramento regional back in the 80 always had a barometer event on friday
qualifying to finals with 50 top in finals...it was great
then someone came up with flighted KOs and matchpoints sort of went away <_<

#22 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-December-29, 14:05

I didn't realise that there was barometer scoring for live games, my only experience with it is on BBO.
I could take it or leave it, it can be quite exciting or humbling to know if you are +2 or -100 against JEC
but I think it can also put me on a tilt, if I am not careful I change my game depending on the score.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-29, 14:39

Many years ago, before duplicating machines, there was a weekly barometer game in (or maybe near?) Berkeley, California. A set of boards was provided for every two tables. What a lot of work it must have been duplicating the boards by hand. But anyway it was my first experience of barometer games, and to boot people like Mike Lawrence and Stansby and Martel used to show up from time to time. So it was pretty decent for a club duplicate, and I have liked barometer games ever since.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-29, 18:56

View PostVampyr, on 2012-December-29, 14:39, said:

Many years ago, before duplicating machines, there was a weekly barometer game in (or maybe near?) Berkeley, California. A set of boards was provided for every two tables. What a lot of work it must have been duplicating the boards by hand. But anyway it was my first experience of barometer games, and to boot people like Mike Lawrence and Stansby and Martel used to show up from time to time. So it was pretty decent for a club duplicate, and I have liked barometer games ever since.

Just saw the Sacramento regional is having one in Fef
qual and final is barometer...in Feb 2013

a club with a duplicating machine could have all sorts of barometers
I guess if you could afford the machine you could afford the sets of boards

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users