• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

distracting your opps

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-27, 14:58

Declarer plays A everyone follows, then K, East plays the queen thinking K is a low one.

It can be argued that the reason why east got distracted is mainly because another played, who happens to be declarer's team mate from the closed room, has an ongoing yellin argument (for 2 minutes already) where he is asking tournament director to go outside for a punch fight. To the poojnt where it is really hard for dummy (let alone East, who is very old) to even hear what cards partner is asking him to play.

Is there any law where something can be claimed here?

#2 User is offline   ereff 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-27, 17:00

Hola,

The partner of declarer, called the dummy, is not to speak. Dummy is from the term dumb animal, which means an animal which cannot speak. The partner should NOT speak at all, let alone make negative or loud remarks. You may call the Director. By the way, Dummy is not allowed to call the Director.

#3 User is offline   ereff 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-27, 17:03

P. S. If you are referring to declrer's partner on a Team in annother room, you can still call the director to have a better atmosphere.

#4 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-27, 21:33

Where is there any reference to dummy speaking? The OP says that the person yelling is a teammate in the other room. Was the OP edited to clarify this?

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-28, 01:46

Why didn't their opponents get disqualified?

#6 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-28, 02:07

Rule 1. You do not talk about fight club.

Rule 2. If you talk about fight club, the director is empowered to assess a procedural penalty.
Kaya!

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-28, 10:07

I would think that if the TD is cordially invited to come outside for a punch fight, the player who does that is cordially invited to leave the tournament. Unless there is a replacement player available, the team will be disqualified, and the outcome of the board will not matter anymore.

I could imagine that the players at this table want to play the rest of the match for fun. In that case, I would suggest to South that he gives East the Q (as it will restore/improve harmony at this table and it doesn't make sense to make something out of something irrelevant).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-28, 10:37

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-October-28, 10:07, said:

I would think that if the TD is cordially invited to come outside for a punch fight, the player who does that is cordially invited to leave the tournament. Unless there is a replacement player available, the team will be disqualified, and the outcome of the board will not matter anymore.

This. B-)

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-October-28, 10:07, said:

I could imagine that the players at this table want to play the rest of the match for fun. In that case, I would suggest to South that he gives East the Q (as it will restore/improve harmony at this table and it doesn't make sense to make something out of something irrelevant).

There's no law that would support this, afaics, but as you say, it doesn't matter, since the declaring side has already been disqualified.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-October-28, 15:43

disqualified or not, its a round robin with many teams in competition

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-28, 16:58

Question: if the team is disqualified, what do their opponents get for this match?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 03:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-October-28, 16:58, said:

Question: if the team is disqualified, what do their opponents get for this match?

That is a matter of regulation (and CoC)

#12 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-29, 07:36

View Postereff, on 2012-October-27, 17:00, said:

Hola,

The partner of declarer, called the dummy, is not to speak. Dummy is from the term dumb animal, which means an animal which cannot speak. The partner should NOT speak at all, let alone make negative or loud remarks. You may call the Director. By the way, Dummy is not allowed to call the Director.

No rule prevents dummy speaking, in fact he is specifically allowed to say certain things (such as "No spades partner?"). There are obvoius things that he should not say ("play the ace partner". etc.) and anything negative (or loud) is likely to be against the laws. Most poeple, however, would consider it common curtosy to say something like 'Good luck partner' and 'Would you like something from the bar' is normally warmly welcomed.

Dummy is not allowed to draw attention to an irregularity, but when attention is drawn to one, it is dummys responsibility, as it is of every player at the table, to call the director.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-29, 07:52

View Postpran, on 2012-October-29, 03:11, said:

That is a matter of regulation (and CoC)

Certainly. I'm just curious as to this specific case.
--------------------

#14 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 11:41

I was quite disappointed to find out that my Round 5 forfeit (in the North American Open Swiss, no less) was a 12-0 win. Pretty much killed our chances to recover from our poor showing in the afternoon and qualify.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users