• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hand 2 from tonight

#21 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-18, 21:06

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-October-18, 20:37, said:

I didn't get to see the traveler, but the 2D bid was normal (was 54 and they had a 9 card spade fit). The others either got to play in 1NT or 3D all making.

so the opp have a 9 card spade fit and you get a zero?

so pard has a stiff spade, opened 1nt and passed 2s?
no x for takeout,, no 2nt for minors??

You hold Qxx, Jx, 9xxxx, Axx and partner (in 3rd seat) opens a 15-17 NT.

Ok, thanks all. I passed this out, and 2♠ was cold for a 0 for u

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-October-18, 21:21

Yes rabbit, if you have 3 spades and they have a 9 card fit, the 1NT opener opened with a Spade singleton. Are you saying this was standard across the field? Seems highly unlikely;y.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-October-18, 23:38

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-October-16, 22:05, said:

So your plan is to bid 2NT and try to leave partner in 3D?

Pleading poor vision - I could'a sworn there were 6 cards, partner, honest!
Changing my vote to pass on 3=2=5=3 with too little strength to double immediately. Let's defend.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#24 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2012-October-24, 13:28

I think in most situations where overcaller shows 2 suits (e.g. Michael's) doubling shows an interest in penalizing and does NOT set up a force. Passing then doubling shows 100% penalty. Passing then bidding is takeout-ish. I believe this to be pretty standard and it sounds like your partner applied that principle to the auction in question.

In the case of interference over our strong NT circumstances have changed since we own half the deck. Doubling should set up a cooperative force through 2 and subsequent doubles become penalty. Passing and doubling should be takeout.

On this hand I'd opt to defend if the opponents were vulnerable. As they are not, I think competing is clear at MPs (this should be done directly over 2, I think that passing then bidding 2NT should show the minors). At IMPs... I don't know what to do but I'd probably pass.
Kevin Fay

#25 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-24, 21:12

View Postkfay, on 2012-October-24, 13:28, said:

I think in most situations where overcaller shows 2 suits (e.g. Michael's) doubling shows an interest in penalizing and does NOT set up a force. Passing then doubling shows 100% penalty. Passing then bidding is takeout-ish. I believe this to be pretty standard and it sounds like your partner applied that principle to the auction in question.

In the case of interference over our strong NT circumstances have changed since we own half the deck. Doubling should set up a cooperative force through 2 and subsequent doubles become penalty. Passing and doubling should be takeout.

On this hand I'd opt to defend if the opponents were vulnerable. As they are not, I think competing is clear at MPs (this should be done directly over 2, I think that passing then bidding 2NT should show the minors). At IMPs... I don't know what to do but I'd probably pass.

AH! Thank you! I hadn't put the first part and his idea together--I was so surprised about his opinion over 1NT that I didn't realize.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-24, 23:25

Sometimes its ok to pass with a balanced hand and Qxx of their suit lol. Sounds like you got fixed by the majors bid, oh well, it happens. Competing to 3D on 5 small and Qxx of spades is just a joke.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users