• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Renaissance Men Some thoughts on Ginsberg and GIB

#21 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 11:33

View PostScarabin, on 2012-October-25, 02:06, said:

Not to try to resurrect this but are there no anecdotes on Ginsberg or Culbertson?

I glanced at Culbertson's Blue Book, written in the 1930's, the other day and was amazed to find it could serve as a very good template for a computer play engine.

if anyone promotes GIB it is BBO not Ginsberg....he hasnt done anything with it since 2002...in fact there was an article about Ginsberg this summer in the NY Times....he was working on computer software for Crossword puzzles or scrabble one of those, but GIB is way in the past for him.

#22 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2012-November-10, 01:36

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-November-09, 11:33, said:

if anyone promotes GIB it is BBO not Ginsberg....he hasnt done anything with it since 2002...in fact there was an article about Ginsberg this summer in the NY Times....he was working on computer software for Crossword puzzles or scrabble one of those, but GIB is way in the past for him.

Agreed, and Culbertson died a long time ago, but, with characters who are larger than life, even old anecdotes can be amusing.

Slainte,

Ian

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-10, 10:06

where are the - votes? :(
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 10:22

View PostScarabin, on 2012-October-25, 02:06, said:

Not to try to resurrect this but are there no anecdotes on Ginsberg or Culbertson?

There has been plenty written about Culbertson, including at least one autobiography and one biography. Look around and read for yourself.

One tidbit is that his name was not pronounced \ē-lī\ as I had always assumed, but somewhat closer to \ē-lē\ (think of his Romanian birth).

Ginsberg posted (on rec.games.bridge) about the development of GIB and his attempts to get GIB to produce a bidding system. He seemed quite accessible. I followed that and the computer championships and had some brief private exchange with him. He never struck me as much of a self-promoter, certainly not of the self-aggrandizing type. I know a little about the disputes he had with Levy and have read about Jeremy Claptrap. I really don't understand what your issue with him is.

#25 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 01:15

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-10, 10:22, said:

There has been plenty written about Culbertson, including at least one autobiography and one biography. Look around and read for yourself.

One tidbit is that his name was not pronounced \ē-lī\ as I had always assumed, but somewhat closer to \ē-lē\ (think of his Romanian birth).

Ginsberg posted (on rec.games.bridge) about the development of GIB and his attempts to get GIB to produce a bidding system. He seemed quite accessible. I followed that and the computer championships and had some brief private exchange with him. He never struck me as much of a self-promoter, certainly not of the self-aggrandizing type. I know a little about the disputes he had with Levy and have read about Jeremy Claptrap. I really don't understand what your issue with him is.

Have read Culbertson's autobiography and also "The Walk of the Oysters". No issue with Culbertson or Ginsberg, just find them interesting. Both outstanding in their respective fields.

Slainte,

Ian

#26 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 08:13

View PostScarabin, on 2012-November-11, 01:15, said:

No issue with Culbertson or Ginsberg

Then try again to explain what the purpose of your post is.

#27 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 17:01

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-11, 08:13, said:

Then try again to explain what the purpose of your post is.

"just find them interesting". They inspire me. Culbertson inspired me to take up bridge. Ginsberg inspires me to persevere with bridge programming.

I thought I might learn more of them from other BBO members.

Slainte

Ian

#28 User is offline   ginsberg0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-07, 22:00

View PostScarabin, on 2012-November-11, 17:01, said:

"just find them interesting". They inspire me. Culbertson inspired me to take up bridge. Ginsberg inspires me to persevere with bridge programming.

I thought I might learn more of them from other BBO members.

Slainte

Ian

Aw, shucks. I just stumbled into this and can at least clarify a few things: Yes, GIB is in my past. :( Yes, I was Jeremy Claptrap. :) I've done a lot of things (GIB, Dr.Fill crossword program, math, computer scientist, run a couple of startups, had a play produced, stunt pilot, husband and father) but I think that's mostly because I'm old and get bored easily. I would love to be thought of as a Renaissance man, and am very flattered to even see my name mentioned in the same breath as that phrase. I don't know how self-promoting I am. If anyone wants to reach me, you can get me at maybetemporary /at/ gibware.com. As long as I leave the address active, that is. :)

Thanks!

Matt Ginsberg

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-09, 11:41

Reminds of of the Marshall McLuhan scene in "Annie Hall"

#30 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-09, 13:46

It's as if we were living in a global village.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#31 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-09, 23:19

View Postginsberg0, on 2013-June-07, 22:00, said:

Aw, shucks. I just stumbled into this and can at least clarify a few things: Yes, GIB is in my past. :( Yes, I was Jeremy Claptrap. :) I've done a lot of things (GIB, Dr.Fill crossword program, math, computer scientist, run a couple of startups, had a play produced, stunt pilot, husband and father) but I think that's mostly because I'm old and get bored easily. I would love to be thought of as a Renaissance man, and am very flattered to even see my name mentioned in the same breath as that phrase. I don't know how self-promoting I am. If anyone wants to reach me, you can get me at maybetemporary /at/ gibware.com. As long as I leave the address active, that is. :)

Thanks!

Matt Ginsberg

What a pleasant surprise! May I welcome you to the forum and hope this may be the first of many posts. Thanks for your humour and understanding.

You already know you fulfil my definition of a modern renaissance man but may I enlarge on the self-promotion. I guess we all try to do this but some are more talented than most. I dimly remember Macchiavelli once said a plan was incomplete unless it included a plan for its own implementation, and Mackay in "Walk of the Oysters" said that without Culbertson's flair for promoting his ideas bridge would have remained on the same plane as canasta or mah jong.

I delayed responding to your post so as not to obscure it from members returning from the ACBL trials. As a result I can echo Woody Allen and say: if only life were always like this! :D

Slainte,

Ian

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users