• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Basic Squeeze Quizes Place to practice squeeze technique

#21 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-December-06, 00:51

quiz 8

I dont think they would lead away from !H K so play ace first, I would hate to go down on first trick

I think that the threat is a !H with a flaw that entry is not in the correct suit,

if clubs prove to be not working then the club also becomes a threat,

a spade should be the squeeze card

bonus answer, because you only get one shot at club split and knowing my luck it will fail (ok I don't really know the answer to that question)

#22 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-06, 00:55

also I think that Blue may be flawed as I am not sure the same hand has both guards, other wise I could finese J clubs or I could be missing something in my understanding

#23 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-December-06, 10:31

sceptic, on Dec 6 2004, 02:55 AM, said:

also I think that Blue may be flawed as I am not sure the same hand has both guards, other wise I could finese J clubs or I could be missing something in my understanding

You miss the bonus hand... If East has the heart king, as you summize (and indeed he did have the king), there is no REASON to finessee in clubs, EVEN IF THE JACK OF CLUBS is on side. This is why this was a bonus question, in that as a bonus, you will make if clubs are 3=3, or if clubs are 4-2 on side, no matter where the club jack is hdding. In fact, give them a 4-2 split and two club jacks, it will not help them. Let's see how this works....by examing blue.

Scoring: IMP

[Here we win the heart ACE, cash three diamonds and five rounds of spade. This is the lead to the last spade, presuming EAST has the heart king.

The bonus here, is if east has the club JACK, you don't need to finesse it. He has to keep the heart King, so he will be squeezed down to at most 3. This allows you to drop the Jack anytime 's are 3-3, or east has long clubs, and when east has long clubs, it doesn't matter where the jack is... here we put two jacks on the hand.

So the squeeze set up is, B: East with [he] and , Loser = 1, Upper threat is 10], Primary entry is King,

So in summary, this is squeeze-or-finessee hand, but the squeeze has the bonus of dropping the doubleton club jack off side, something the finessee can not do, and the finessee risk losing to three clubs to the jack as well off side (ouch).

Ben
--Ben--

#24 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-06, 20:30

Scoring: MP

Quiz 9

South  North
   2   2
  4NT  5
  7NT  All pass

4NT = RKCB
5H = two keycards, no heart queen
7NT = huge gamble

Opening Lead 6-small-Queen-ACE.

T2-T3. spades, all follows
T4-T8 Spades dummy comes to KJ8, T, A. south throws K then four more clubs, north throws four small clubs and diamond 3.
T9. 9 to King, both follow
T10. J, east throws a club.
T11, ACE, north thows Jack, south Q
T12. small , south plays a small ...

What are your options?

What is going on?
--Ben--

#25 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-06, 20:31

Some asked why all the 7NT contracts. I have a lot of lower level contract squeeze hands, but when studying the hand pattern recongnition methods, a contract of 7NT keeps from confusing issues with what tricks to lose, etc. But right now, i am mostly picking out grand slams from my hand collections to post. After another 10 or so grand slam hands, we will start putting in some lower level ones (after we deal with issues of "correcting count" in a new thread on when "loser is greater than one"
Scoring: Matchpoints

Quiz 10

West North East South
   2   DBL   Pass  3NT
  Pass  4    Pass   4NT
  Pass  5    Pass   5NT
  Pass   7NT    All Pass

1) 2 shows five spades, four plus minor, and 6-10 hcp.
2) 7NT was a matchpoint decision.

Opening lead 5

You play low from dummy, and east plays the eight and you win the Ace. You can imagine the King behind the AQ. You cash diamond AK and both follow. How might you go about making this hand? Evaluate BLUE and how you would play the hand.
--Ben--

#26 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-06, 21:00

Quiz 11

7NT (what else at the moment?), Opeing lead a heart, you win the ace.

Perhaps, like me, you are not sure how to play it, but you try to combine your chances. You play diamond to ace and lead the diamond jack and when east plays low, you rise with the diamond king. Both follow but no diamond queen. Now you try spade to the queen and it wins, whew. Plan your play

What distribution are you playing for? Decribe blue and the last tricks.

Ben
--Ben--

#27 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-07, 09:17

Quiz 12

Contract 7NT by south (what else)?

Opening lead small heart, won in dummy with the ace

How many winners, thus how many losers?
What are the threat suits?
IF one opponent has both, is "b" satisfied?
What is primary entry?
Do you need a secondary entry? What could be used as a secondary entry?

Plan your play.
--Ben--

#28 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-07, 10:30

Is anyone trying to solve these quizes? Are the helping identify the requirements for simple squeeze. You must master these quizes (these become second nature to you) before moving on to the more compicated ones.
Quiz 13.

This one isn't so much how to play as just think about the two options.

You have 11 tricks (5S+1H+4D+1C). You can gain one trick if the heart finessee works, you can gain one trick if the finessee works. Obviously, one line of play is to try both finessees if they both work (25%), you will make. If both kings lay in the same hand, you can finessee one of them, and then play for the hypothetical squeeze.

What finessee should you try first? Heart or both for technical reasons, and to keep the simple squeeze (both kings in same hand) alive as an option). What would BLUE components in this case.

Ben
--Ben--

#29 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-07, 21:17

Quiz #14

7NT by south (what else?). This time, double dummy.

Opening lead, Q

Think BLUE, What is both threats? Which threat is in upper hand? What is primary entry? Is there a secondary entry? What is the squeeze card?

Can last be the squeeze card?
Can last be the squeeze card?
--Ben--

#30 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-07, 21:25

Quiz #15

Contract 7NT WEST, opening lead King

Waht might the threat suits be?

What threat is in the upper hand?

What is the squeeze card?

What is the primary entry?

What are you playing the hands to be?

--Ben--

#31 User is offline   mamo2500 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-December-08, 15:22

inquiry, on Dec 1 2004, 12:23 PM, said:

Back to the quiz format : This was a bbo hand

Quiz 5

West North East South

2    3    Pass  4NT
 Pass  5    Pass  6NT
 Pass  Pass  Pass  

Opening lead Heart Queen

Fill in these answers, what is?

1) The both threats
2) What is the squeeze card
3) The upper threat
4) The primary entry
5) What should you play to trick two

1)Q and 8
2)a
3)8
4)K
5)6

#32 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-08, 15:45

mamo2500, on Dec 8 2004, 05:22 PM, said:

Quiz 5

West  North East  South

2    3    Pass  4NT
 Pass  5    Pass  6NT
 Pass  Pass  Pass  

Opening lead Heart Queen

1) The both threats
3) The upper threat
4) The primary entry

1)Q and 8
2)a
3)8
4)K
5)6

Very good, you got 1, 2, 3, and 4 correct. The only way you can lead the 6 to trick two is if you overtake the K with the ACE at trick one. And that will not be so good at notrump contract.
--Ben--

#33 User is offline   mamo2500 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-December-08, 16:00

inquiry, on Dec 1 2004, 04:55 PM, said:

BBO hand from just yesterday

Quiz 7

West North East South

-     1NT   Pass  2
 3    Pass! Pass  4
 Pass  4    Pass  6
 Pass  Pass  Pass  

Opening lead a small trump, RHO follows suit. You are up...

The club ACE will be onside... so take it from there... Squeeze card, Both threats, primary entry, etc...

Takes club ace and returns a club.
Ben

The sqeezecard will be a spade
upper threat will be Q with primary entry being A
threat with the hand with the sqeeze card will be Q
East will be busy guarding hearts and diamonds (I hope)

But did it take me a long time to make out what cards would be left in which hands when I played the squeezecard :D

Marianne

#34 User is offline   mamo2500 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-December-08, 16:06

oh, yes I got that wrong. I forgot I was on lead. I will play a club to my hand so I can lead the 6 to correct the count :-)

that should be right shouldn't it?

Marianne

#35 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-08, 16:18

mamo2500, on Dec 8 2004, 06:06 PM, said:

oh, yes I got that wrong. I forgot I was on lead. I will play a club to my hand so I can lead the 6 to correct the count :-)

that should be right shouldn't it?

Marianne

That is a an excellent line and the squeeze runs on wheels after that. Very good.

Ben
--Ben--

#36 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-08, 16:23

mamo2500, on Dec 8 2004, 06:00 PM, said:

inquiry, on Dec 1 2004, 04:55 PM, said:

BBO hand from just yesterday

Quiz 7

West  North East  South

-     1NT   Pass  2
 3    Pass! Pass  4
 Pass  4    Pass  6
 Pass  Pass  Pass  

Opening lead a small trump, RHO follows suit. You are up...

The club ACE will be onside... so take it from there... Squeeze card, Both threats, primary entry, etc...

Takes club ace and returns a club.
Ben

The sqeezecard will be a spade
upper threat will be Q with primary entry being A
threat with the hand with the sqeeze card will be Q
East will be busy guarding hearts and diamonds (I hope)

But did it take me a long time to make out what cards would be left in which hands when I played the squeezecard :D

Marianne

Actually, don't you just have to hope the King is on side, and that the Queen is thus just another of your winners? Given the 3 overcall, the king probably is (and was) on side.

This gives you 7, 2, 1, and if the ACE is with the bidder as well, a trick. This comes to 11 (losing a ) so that fixes your loser count (assume they grab their ace).

As you rethink this one. Consider how you might play it if EAST has 5's, and if East has 4's. Then find the safest line.

Ben
--Ben--

#37 User is offline   mamo2500 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-December-09, 06:54

QUIZ NR 7
It's getting embarrassing to exhibit my lack of skill in public, but I will give it another try :P

So I can try and squeeze west in diamonds and clubs.
I take the trump lead in hand. Since I put west for 7 clubs (and east for 2) it should be safe to lead clubs,before drawing trumps and I need an entry for the hand. West grabs his ace and leads another club which I take in dummy with the K and discard a diamond. Then a trump to the hand and I draw the last trump if any out standing. Then I lead a heart towards dummy and finesse in hearts, which you promised would hold. I take another heart trick and go back to my hand with a heart ruff.
Now I play trumps and end in this position

when I play the last spade, if west discards the club ace I discard a small diamond in dummy and if he discards diamond I discard a club and then the king of diamond will drop when I play the A and the Qwill be high.
but..... I can't see how any of this depends on whether east has four or five hearts, so it is probably also wrong. B)

Marianne

PS thanks a lot for all the nice teaching you make. :)

#38 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-09, 08:12

[quote name='mamo2500' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:54 AM']QUIZ NR 7
It's getting embarrassing to exhibit my lack of skill in public, but I will give it another try  :P

So I can try and squeeze west in diamonds and clubs.
I take the trump lead in hand. Since I put west for 7 clubs (and east for 2) it should be safe to lead clubs,before drawing trumps and I need an entry for the hand. West grabs his ace and leads another club which I take in dummy with the [cl]K and discard a diamond. Then a trump to the hand and I draw the last trump if any out standing. Then I lead a heart towards dummy and finesse in hearts, which you promised would hold. I take another heart trick and go back to my hand with a heart ruff.
Now I play trumps and end in this position
Scoring: Unknown

Ax
x

Kx
A

x
xx

x

Qx

when I play the last spade, if west discards the club ace I discard a small diamond in dummy and if he discards diamond I discard a club and then the king of diamond will drop when I play the A[di] and the Q[di]will be high.
but..... I can't see how any of this depends on whether east has four or five hearts, so it is probably also wrong.  B)

Marianne

PS thanks a lot for all the nice teaching you make.  :)[/quote]
Hi,

First off, well done.

To avoid givig your answers in public, if you like you can be like some of the other readers and send your answers to me by PM message (just click the PM button on the bottom of the post). I may not get back to you right away, but I will get back to you. On the otherhand, your answers may help others who are struggling to see how to do it, or they may learn from your answers as they try to figure out if you are right or not, and why.

You have found a squeeze that will work, if WEST has [di]king and seven clubs (WEST has to have seven clubs or [cl]AQT9-sitxth for the dummy's eight to be a threat against him alone. This is a fine squeeze to play for, and requires the three level overcaller to have a hand like [sp]x [he]Kx [di]Kxx [cl]AQ9xxxx, and would work just as you planned it.

There is an alternative squeeze you could play for, should you so desire to use a [he] in dummy as the threat (as I thought you were planning when you said the [he]Queen was a threat). This alternative squeeze is based upon hearts being a threat against EAST. Now you can play to squeeze EAST in hearts and diamonds (giving the [di]King to EAST). Here you would play for a trump squeeze, where you will plan on taking heart hook and ruffing a heart (in case hearts are 3-4 instead of 2-5) with the diamond king with EAST. Then on the next to last [cl] this will be the position.

Dealer: ?????
Vul: ????
Scoring: Unknown

When you lead your next to last [cl], dummy throws a diamond, but what is EAST to do?

IF he keeps three hearts, the diamond ACE, heart ace, heart ruff, diamond queen win last four tricks. If he throws a [he], the heart ace, heart ruff, diamond ace does him in just as well.

But be very happy with your squeeze ending as well. The fact is often, in squeeze endings, you will have to take a guess who might hold what cards. In this ending the key card is who has the [di]K. IT is reasonable to think WEST has both red kings for his bid and play as you did. It is also reasonable to assume with at least six clubs, and he heart king, vacant space theory suggest East is more likey to have the diamond king. Play for the squeeze based upon your knowledge of the opponents bidding habits.

WE can return to this hand later and see how you might play if when you lead low the [cl]King, WEST ducks and the king wins. That gives you your club trick immediately but you still have only 10 winners, but with two losers left. We will save that problem until we have studied two loser squeezes.
--Ben--

#39 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-December-09, 12:34

Scoring: MP

Quiz 16...

To break the string of 7NT contracts, here you declarer 4, after 1d=1h=3h=4h

Opening lead A and a

You discard from dummy on second and lead a towards the dummy. West plays the Queen (oh happy days!!) you cover and East wins and returns a heart as west discards a club.

Ten tricks are assured (4, 3, 2, 1), but this is matchpoint. Now that you have ten, turn your attention towards winning 11. Can you see an extra trick on a squeeze? Analyze BLUE and plan your play.
--Ben--

#40 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-10, 10:59

inquiry, on Dec 8 2004, 09:45 PM, said:

mamo2500, on Dec 8 2004, 05:22 PM, said:

Quiz 5

West  North East  South

2    3    Pass  4NT
Pass  5    Pass  6NT
Pass  Pass  Pass 

Opening lead Heart Queen

1) The both threats
3) The upper threat
4) The primary entry

1)Q and 8
2)a
3)8
4)K
5)6

Very good, you got 1, 2, 3, and 4 correct. The only way you can lead the 6 to trick two is if you overtake the K with the ACE at trick one. And that will not be so good at notrump contract.

I wonder what the best play is here.
If you play for a Spade - Diamond K squeeze then probably East will have the long Spades.
So you could take the extra change of playing a Spade to the Jack (wins if West has the Q) ?:
Heart K, Club to Q and spade to the J. If East has the Queen then he can return a Spade and play away your primary entry.
But then you can play (playing East for the long spades):
Spade A and K, Heart A and all your clubs; on last club:

...playing for a positional squeeze instead of an automatic, but taking the additional chance of West having Spade Q.
..What is best?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users