BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge Olympiad Docu on Sky Sports 2 / xtra - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Olympiad Docu on Sky Sports 2 / xtra UK Satelitte broadcast

#1 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-19, 17:06

Any Europeans with access to Sky Sports 3[B] Saturday at 08:00 (UK Time) or Sky Sports Extra at 13:00 UK Time can watch an hour long programme on the Olympiad with involvement from Z.Mahmood/Sabine Auken & D.Burn.

I haven't seen the programme but is an hour long.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-November-20, 04:09

I saw the first one last night and thought it was a lot better than similar attempts in the past. They didn't make the mistake of trying to explain the game but did give you a good sense of the size and importance of the Olympiad.

I guess their target audience is novice bridge players and above as knowing how to play the game was necessary. They covered four deals in detail during the hour and interviewed a number of the participants.

They explained the purpose of screens, bidding boxes and trays, and did an amusing explanation of the hand signals that these top players use instead of the Alert card!

I thought there were two big highlights in the program: the jubilant reaction of the Italians having beaten the USA was captured on camera - it was clear that this was something special even though only the round of 16; and Duboin explaining why he'd played a hand correctly against Pakistan in the next round, working out the defensive distributions so that his line was 3-1 on.

Worth trying to catch if you can receive Sky.

Interestingly it is sponsored by an online poker company. Amusing given that many believe poker is the greatest threat to bridge.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-November-20, 04:52

I thought it was good but could have been so much better!

Only four hands from the open event and one from the ladies in one hour of broadcasting and hardly any analysis meant that there was a lot of padding.

This was surely unnecessary given the number of hands that were played in the first two rounds. There must have been ten hands they could have found which were worthy of broadcast.

Also, they didn't give any of the session scores or final scores, just the results so one didn't even get a feel for the ups and downs of eg the Italy USA game.

Eric

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users