• You cannot reply to this topic

I got Grosvenor-ed!

#1 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-16, 12:02

... at club last night.

Sadly I don't have the full hand, but here is the story. I declared a close 3NT. Opponents knocked out my Ax after I ducked once, establishing the suit with LHO holding the length. At this point I had seven cashable tricks, and could develop one more by a club hook into LHO, or two more by attacking hearts. The latter seemed the logical choice, so I led a heart off dummy. RHO ducked and the honor from my hand held the trick.

Now I paused to think briefly. The club hook is still into the danger hand. Meanwhile, RHO clearly has the high heart; and he surely would have hopped up with it if he had a diamond remaining to lead. So I continued hearts and ... RHO took the trick and played a diamond. Down one! Meanwhile the club hook was working.

:lol:

This post has been edited by billw55: 2013-January-16, 12:50

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 12:09

yesterday night I was playing 4 with 3 obvious losers outside trumps, trumps where

AQ873

opposite

J65

played low towards dummy and LHO played the king. When I played one back to hand RHO followed with the 4, I played he jack, but damnit he had 10942

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 12:46

billw55, on 2013-January-16, 12:02, said:

... at club last night.

Sadly I don't have the full hand, but here is the story. I declared a close 3NT. Opponents knocked out my Ax after I ducked once, establishing the suit with LHO holding the length. At this point I had seven cashable tricks, and could develop one more by a club hook into LHO, or two more by attacking hearts. The latter seemed the logical choice, so I lead a heart off dummy. RHO ducked and the honor from my hand held the trick.

Now I paused to think briefly. The club hook is still into the danger hand. Meanwhile, RHO clearly has the high heart; and he surely would have hopped up with it if he had a diamond remaining to lead. So I continued hearts and ... RHO took the trick and played a diamond. Down one! Meanwhile the club hook was working.

Another example, Bill, of posting on threads you have not, er, red? :)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 12:50

Vampyr, on 2013-January-16, 12:46, said:

Another example, Bill, of posting on threads you have not, er, red?

hahah, very funny.

Actually, my error was mixing tense, not mispelling ;)

But just for you, I fixed it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-16, 13:02

billw55, on 2013-January-16, 12:50, said:

hahah, very funny.

Actually, my error was mixing tense, not mispelling ;)

But just for you, I fixed it.

Thanks! I thought it might be mixing tense -- one starts off one way and switches in midstream. This, actually, is one of the things that makes this error confusing!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-January-16, 13:28

The opponents don't get full credit unless it was intentional to disconcert you for future hands.

I only tried the gambit once...against Mike Smolen; but although I got back to even on the hand, he just laughed. So, it failed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 17:21

What a great thread title and my all time favorite event.

I once played a club game when a young couple arrived, he had been beaking off and she was having none of it. She looked around the room, anywhere but at him or us. Pard opened 1 I raised to 2 and it went float.

Before he led, she detached 2 cards and put them face down. He led a club, pard finessed the Queen and from the top she won the King, fired back a trump, detached 2 more cards and went back to looking around the room. Pard won that in hand, led something, she won and fired back something else, detached another card or 2 and defended the entire hand this way and double dummy for 2 in the glue.

Play slowed to a crawl and I can still see the look on my pards face without even closing my eyes.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-16, 17:47

billw55, on 2013-January-16, 12:02, said:

... at club last night.

Sadly I don't have the full hand, but here is the story. I declared a close 3NT. Opponents knocked out my Ax after I ducked once, establishing the suit with LHO holding the length. At this point I had seven cashable tricks, and could develop one more by a club hook into LHO, or two more by attacking hearts. The latter seemed the logical choice, so I led a heart off dummy. RHO ducked and the honor from my hand held the trick.

No doubt this was worth a top on the next board as well, or 15-20 Imps at teams. That is what Grovenors are for - to get inside the opps' heads.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users