• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing vs. semiforcing 1NT I wish I were better at googling the forum

#21 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-22, 02:50

Thanks barmar.

jallerton, do you know what holes exist in this method? What GF hands in 2/1 go through 1NT?

#22 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-23, 16:07

Which method is "this method"?

You curently play your 1NT response to 1M as 100% forcing. Do you have an agreed meaning for 1M-1NT-2any-3NT? Let's say that you currently play this sequence as showing 13-15 balanced, without 3-card support for partner or any 5-card suit.

If you now switch to "semi-forcing", you can no longer afford to respond 1NT on 13-15 balanced in case partner passes 1NT. This doesn't necessarily create a hole in the system, but you need an alternative way of bidding these hands (starting with 2 or with 2 of your lowest 4-card suit, for example).

In fact, playing my preferred version of "semi-forcing", the sequence 1M-1NT-2m-3NT does exist: it shows a maximum 1NT response, perhaps one which has been improved by Opener's rebid. As Opener tends to pass 1NT with a (sub)minimum opening bid, Responder can take advantage of this inference on the next round.

JLOGIC was explaining that if Opener has an average balanced 13-count opposite an unexciting 12-count, he might bid 1S-1NT-P playing his preferred version of "semi-forcing" whilst playing a forcing 1NT response the auction might go 1S-1NT-2C-2NT-P.

Playing my version of "semi-forcing" the auction would go 1S-1NT-2C-3NT-P or the equivalent.

Similarly 1S-1NT-2D-4S might be played as 13-15 balanced with 3-card support if you playing forcing NT. Playing "semi-forcing" this cannot be the case, so for me it shows a hand with 3-card support which was originally planning to show a limit raise but has been improved by Opener's rebid.

#23 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-23, 19:00

Playing 1NT opposite 11-13 5-3-3-2 is actually worse than looking for better partial. I did enough research into this one to be sure.
Now, it doesn't mean that forcing is better than semi-forcing. Semi-forcing has this nice advantage that all your rebids are better defined. 2H/2D are now 4+ and 2C is either 4+ or some kind of gazilli (where you don't want 5-3-3-2's).

I also don't agree that you have to lower your NT range to 14-16 to play semi-forcing.
Top Italian pair all play 15-17 NT (and are pretty disciplined about it) while playing semi-forcing 1NT.
I mean, it doesn't mean it's not better to switch to 14-16 but 15-17 is still playable.

1M-2C - 10-12 3 card limit

I think this sucks. There is already too little space in 2/1 and putting this hand there will disrupt your slam sequences.
It's better to put limit raises into 2NT or even 3m and have 2/1 strictly GF.

#24 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-June-24, 03:10

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-June-23, 19:00, said:

I think this sucks. There is already too little space in 2/1 and putting this hand there will disrupt your slam sequences.
It's better to put limit raises into 2NT or even 3m and have 2/1 strictly GF.

The problem is with a 3 card limit raise you might want to play in another strain, but after 1M-2NT or 1M-3M it's very hard to find the other option.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users