• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alerts after the auction Explanation needed for Alerts after the auction

#1 User is offline   hbcgrahamw 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-27, 04:41

Hello,

My partner & I got a very good score reset on SkyClub for not alerting AFTER the auction, and I do not understand why.

We Alerted a 2D opening, as we use 2D as a Multi; weak major or strong minor / NT. We explained that bid when asked. Opponents overcalled 2NT then bid 3NT unopposed. They went 3 off as only had singleton Qs and my partner's multi was made with a 6 card spade suit which I naturally led.

Opponents called director who reset our score saying we should have also alerted before the opening lead was made? I do not understand this, and it would have made no difference to the play as we took 6 spade tricks off the top which declarer could do nothing about.

Please can someone explain.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-27, 04:50

You should address your concern to SkyClub and the tournament director. It is their tournament and they set the rules.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   hbcgrahamw 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-27, 05:39

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-27, 04:50, said:

You should address your concern to SkyClub and the tournament director. It is their tournament and they set the rules.

We did exchange messages with the SkyClub director, who just kept saying we should have alerted AFTER the auction before the opening lead. We don't understand why?

They generally play SAYC in SkyClub so I wondered if this was some strange American rule?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-27, 06:34

No, there's no American rule like this. ACBL does have "delayed alerts" for alertable bids that are higher than 3NT, but this doesn't apply here. You already alerted and explained your bid, what else did they expect you to do?

Note that on BBO it's not necessary to wait for them to ask for an explanation. There's an explanation line in the bidding box, you can fill it in while you're bidding. Partner doesn't see your explanation, so there's no problem with UI.

#5 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-27, 14:01

View Posthbcgrahamw, on 2020-April-27, 04:41, said:

Hello,

My partner & I got a very good score reset on SkyClub for not alerting AFTER the auction, and I do not understand why.

We Alerted a 2D opening, as we use 2D as a Multi; weak major or strong minor / NT. We explained that bid when asked. Opponents overcalled 2NT then bid 3NT unopposed. They went 3 off as only had singleton Qs and my partner's multi was made with a 6 card spade suit which I naturally led.

Opponents called director who reset our score saying we should have also alerted before the opening lead was made? I do not understand this, and it would have made no difference to the play as we took 6 spade tricks off the top which declarer could do nothing about.

Please can someone explain.

Consider using BBOalert for alert automation.

All you need in the beginning is to install BBOalert and play. BBOalert will :

record alerted calls
alert automatically the recorded calls

Thereafter you can decide to use advanced features :

efficient coding of alerts using wild cards and RegEx expressions
declare conventions in optional blocks of code that can be turned ON and OFF
declare which conventions you play with which partner
Seat-dependent openings and development
Vulnerability-dependent openings and development
Keyboard shortcuts and abbreviations
Full Disclosure BSS file support

References :
- project page : https://github.com/stanmaz/BBOalert- installation Firefox :
- installation Firefox : https://addons.mozil.../addon/bboalert
- installation Chrome : https://chrome.googl...ihaaljhjdaombni
- Facebook user group : https://www.facebook...06384146770707/

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-27, 16:39

I would have asked the director "alert what, and why?"
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-April-27, 23:33

View Postblackshoe, on 2020-April-27, 16:39, said:

I would have asked the director "alert what, and why?"

Sir , pardon me but one may not ask in this fashion.One may request the director to READ OUT FROM THE RULE BOOK and any director has to carry the rule book ,or get it whenever asked for ,and satisfy the player who asked for the same.If the player considers the ruling unfair then he is free to appeal it to the Appeals Committee. I, personally, always show the STOP card to LHO BEFORE I ALERT to make any conventional OPENING bid of 2 or more . Doing so certainly does not lower one's dignity in any manner.THANKS

#8 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 02:25

You alerted and explained during the bidding so no alert needed before the lead. If the director stays with the decision made you can appeal. Guess this was not possible so you where victim of a director who made a mistake or of a (strange imo) rule made by the sky club. By the way the director should have quoted the rule on which the decision was made.

#9 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 10:54

If the situation really was as you described (and, of course, I have heard only your side of the story, not the director's). then the director was plainly wrong. Even in ACBL-land, there are NO delayed alerts when using screens or on the computer. If the director really told you it was a delayed alert, I will bet he or she was not a certified ACBL director (or certified anywhere) the way the directors of BBO tourneys are.

In ACBL-land, in face-to-face games without screens, any alert of a bid above 3NT (except for bids on one's first turn to call) is delayed until after the auction is over. This is because it's highly unlikely the opponents will want to ask about these bids, so the alert serves mostly just to wake up your partner. But when using screens on playing on computers, there are NO delayed alerts. All alerts are immediate, because you can alert without your partner knowing you did so.

What is this Sky Club? Sounds like the Delta Airlines lounge to me.

Cheers,
Mike

#10 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 21:08

stop playing in sky club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users