#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-June-11, 15:58

Curious whether folks have discussed this in their partnerships.

Suppose that the auction starts

P - (P) - P - (1m)

What does a 1NT overcall show?

Alternatively, assume that the auction starts

P - (P) - P - (1M)

Have people discussed this at all?
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-11, 16:14

I thought it is standard that this shows the two lowest unbid suits. (Not saying it mightn't be more useful as something else.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-11, 17:32

Haha can't believe this was posted. One of my favorite stories:

Playing at the NY nationals, I get an offer to be on a pro team with Gavin/Vince Kevin Bathurst/me John Hurd and a nice woman named Virginia. In order to play in this regional knockout, gavin and vince drop out of the national pair game they entered after 1 day, I think they were in like 7th lol. I have never played with Kevin, but knew him to be an established bridge pro, so I was excited for this chance. We were in bracket 4 (lol) and we made the finals pretty easily. In the finals, the auction went P P P 1S 1N by me, undiscussed but I assumed my partner would treat it as raptor (4 hearts and a longer minor). LOL. Somehow, I thought passed hand raptor was standard here.

My partner alerted it as the minors (true maybe no agreement would be more accurate, but he assumed based on general bridge knowledge that everyone played it as the minors so was trying to be helpful). My partner saved over 4S with 1444 and all was well, it was a good save. Everyone on my team was like "How can you think passed hand raptor would be standard???"

Amusingly like 5 years later I started playing with kevin, and the first agreement we made was passed hand raptor. It took several years of playing many regionals/natioanls, but eventually it happened... P P P 1H and I bid 1N and we both bust out laughing. Our opps were like WTF. I think I had a ridiculous hand but I had the right shape and it was too funny not to so why not.

This story probably has no relevance to you but it has really been a running joke for a long time and it made me laugh to read it posted. Obv raptor /thread :P

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-12, 08:01

ICAC, I have an entire section in my RUNT book discussing this sequence, with unique treatments depending upon which suit is opened, and even suggesting differences depending on vulnerability. As an example, over P-P-P-1, I like:

X = one or both minors (Advancer bids 1NT to preference diamonds); if one minor, with four hearts
1NT = 3-suited takeout
2 = heart-club two-suiter
2 = heart-diamond two-suiter, with equal or longer hearts

Thus, with the raptor hand, after a 1 opening you double. If partner prefers your minor, great. If not, you bid 2 after 1NT and partner chooses, or 2 after 2 and partner chooses.

But, if the opening is 1 (P-P-P-1-?), then 2 is normal Michaels, 2 and 2 :Immediate Raptor" (this minor and four hearts), 1NT minors, and double as takeout.

The above might be subject to tweaks depending on vulnerability.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-June-12, 09:36

Haven't discussed it but will now, thanks Richard.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-12, 10:34

For a minute I thought I had discussed this with one of my partners, but no - we actually discussed 1NT after opps bid two suits and you're a passed hand eg p-(p)-p-(1C); p-(1D)-1NT. How do people play 1NT vs 2C vs 2D vs 2NT here?

As for when the opps have just bid 1 suit, two lowest suits would be my guess having not discussed it before, though I wonder if there's a use for it as any weak two-suiter. Time to ask my partners!

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users