• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your turn (bidding)

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-June-03, 21:38

4H. I would certainly not pass and think it is a poor call to do so.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 00:15

Here is the full deal. I passed as Phil predicted. It turned out to be not a bad decision.

If you bid 4 you will end up either -100 or -300 depends on if W will double or not and/or the lead. Passing 3 +300 is available.

Interesting, if you put a heart To Han's hand from West, and give a diamond to West, we still can not make 4 i suppose. We probably can make 3 NT from my side, but i dont think we can bid it.

Not the same auction but we got another 3 minor doubled hand today. We collected +1400 this time but we had vulnerable game. Not a similar auction but basically another pass without trump stack but defensive values. This time i held Kxx of their suit (in front of overcaller)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 01:52

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-04, 00:15, said:

Not the same auction but we got another 3 minor doubled hand today. We collected +1400 this time but we had vulnerable game. Not a similar auction but basically another pass without trump stack but defensive values. This time i held Kxx of their suit (in front of overcaller)

But your opponents were weak at that time.

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-June-04, 13:31

View PostFluffy, on 2012-June-04, 01:52, said:

But your opponents were weak at that time.

No, but my RHO was extremely operative :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 14:37

My partner has 3D: MM 2-suiter. He didn't, but
Dbl: 3-suiter, bal, 1-suiter to show next.
For me convert for penalties looks like a
possible bonanza.

#26 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-04, 15:01

Not surprised that passing worked. As a person who played a 2NT opening for the minors for quite a while, I found that we OFTEN escaped a huge set and instead got to defend an ambitious game that failed because of our stacks.

To me, before reading the comments that later followed (and the actual results), my reactiopn back when Jlall posted his first reply was, "WTF?" Passing seems semi-obvious to me.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#27 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-June-04, 17:18

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-June-04, 15:01, said:

To me, before reading the comments that later followed (and the actual results), my reactiopn back when Jlall posted his first reply was, "WTF?" Passing seems semi-obvious to me.

Heh, fair enough, I like pass now I am not sure what I was thinking, lol @ me for saying it was an obv 4H. Nice hand.

#28 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-June-04, 20:58

One thought - intervening in the immediate seat over this 2N we can use 3= and 3= with strong single suited overcalls so an immediate overcall in a major is a minimum at level.

In the current situation, a Rose Double (Stole my bid) might make some sense, but we can hedge our bets to double showing either only or both majors. With the actual hand, intervenor might choose to call 3 showing the strong one-suiter if 5=3. Over a double, advancer can bid a more reasonable 4 more secure in a 4-4 fit.

The 5-5 major holding in LHO is unfortunate.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#29 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2012-June-05, 07:23

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-June-04, 15:01, said:

Not surprised that passing worked. As a person who played a 2NT opening for the minors for quite a while, I found that we OFTEN escaped a huge set and instead got to defend an ambitious game that failed because of our stacks.

The truth is few of us have had much experience playing against 2NT, 5-5 5-11 points in the minors.

On this board clubs seem to make 7 to 9 tricks depending on the opening lead.

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-05, 08:06

View Postjogs, on 2012-June-05, 07:23, said:

The truth is few of us have had much experience playing against 2NT, 5-5 5-11 points in the minors.

On this board clubs seem to make 7 to 9 tricks depending on the opening lead.

Haven't we all had enough experience of leading against two suiters to know that a trump lead is automatic?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-05, 08:37

View Postgnasher, on 2012-June-05, 08:06, said:

Haven't we all had enough experience of leading against two suiters to know that a trump lead is automatic?

I think jogs only plays GCC events.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users