BBO Discussion Forums: High Level Bidding with a brand new partner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Level Bidding with a brand new partner What should I have done?

#1 User is offline   DavEMikeH1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Beer

Posted 2012-April-05, 02:50

2H is 5-5 Major Minor preempt

So I had discussed bridge conventions with this partner for about an hour and a half before we played and what we had talked about for slam bidding was 1430 and Kickback (not applicable obviously here) along with playing Specific King follow-up. This is IMPS and also both partners are upper echelon intermediate players if that's important. Given this information what should I have done?

I will later post post-mortem...

#2 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 03:24

I guess 5 if partner cue 5 jump to 7.

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 03:38

I'd start with 5.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-April-05, 03:57

What are you expecting partner to be able to cue here?

I keep it simple, 4NT RKCB

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 03:59

with an unknown partner I would just bid 6d.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 07:10

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-April-05, 03:59, said:

with an unknown partner I would just bid 6d.

Pretty much agree. With BBO randoms I would even be tempted to bid 5 then double 5. Have you seen the suits they overcall on?

edit: ah, rereading the OP I see this was not a BBO random situation. Nevermind ...
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   DavEMikeH1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:21

I'm ok if you also disagree with my X (since pass must be forcing) and leave it to partner, showing my potential interest in 7. At least we played perfect defense for -1100...

Supposing you do bid 5H and partner obliges with 5S. Tack on one more club and one less diamond and 7D might not make (ok it would on this hand) but then you're relying on a finesse into the long club bidder...Is this too pessimistic?

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:46

When you are preempted, it rarely pays, in a new partnership, to worry about grand slams.

I would have bid 6. Why?

Because I cannot ever count 13 tricks by bidding 4N, assuming 4N to be keycard. Now, maybe I can then bid 5N, showing all the keys, but I think it unrealistic to expect partner to ever be able to bid the grand...not in a first time partnership, unless I had not only great respect for partner but also expected him/her to have a similar degree of trust in me.

5 will maybe beget 5, but why should it? Surely N can reason that we are cuebidding in diamonds, and he won't ever show a spade suit....any spade bid by him is a cue, and while I usually bid cheapest cue rather than A before K, my view is that in most auctions in which our first cue is above game, we cue first round controls, because there is no room to clarify whether we are showing first or second round control.

So I wouldn't expect 5 to fetch 5.

As it happened, I think passing 6 is absolutely clear....sending the message not only that we have first round control but that we had extras for our leap to slam.

Overcaller can now, imo, choose 6, altho it is possible that I am being a result merchant here....I don't think so (since I wouldn't suggest 6 otherwise) but I hate knowing the hand.

The thought I would take from this hand is that maybe the partnership should use a form of Michaels after the 2 call. Since this opening is virtually unknown in ACBLand, my practice when encountering it, is to defend as if opener were showing a weak 2 call, and now we have either leaping michaels or 3, depending on partnership.

After leaping michaels, 4N should be keycard in both suits, and it is now trivial to bid the grand in spades.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   DavEMikeH1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:04

So we had talked about an unusual over unusual cue bid though we didn't discuss what 3H would mean in this situation. We did not talk about Leaping Michaels (though I mentioned it to him post-mortem). He said even if we had discussed it he would not have bid it feeling as though he would like more strength.

Also thanks for your analysis Mikeh, I like it.

#10 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:43

View PostDavEMikeH1, on 2012-April-05, 16:21, said:

Supposing you do bid 5H and partner obliges with 5S. Tack on one more club and one less diamond and 7D might not make (ok it would on this hand) but then you're relying on a finesse into the long club bidder...Is this too pessimistic?

That would mean partner randomly decided to overcall 3D instead of 2S with 5-5. Maybe 1 less spade, 1 less diamond and 2 more clubs, but then that looks more like a double than a 3D overcall. In short, partner will pretty much always have 6 diamonds here.
Wayne Somerville

#11 User is offline   DavEMikeH1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:59

View Postmanudude03, on 2012-April-05, 17:43, said:

That would mean partner randomly decided to overcall 3D instead of 2S with 5-5. Maybe 1 less spade, 1 less diamond and 2 more clubs, but then that looks more like a double than a 3D overcall. In short, partner will pretty much always have 6 diamonds here.

Ah, right...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users