#1 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-26, 01:50

Unfavorable, IMPs, dealer

P - 1N (15-17) - P - P
?

xxx J976xx x KJT

Yes or no and is it automatic/%/coin-toss/anti-%/insane?
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-26, 01:57

Can't be automatic, Diamond didn't do it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 02:34

I wouldn't. There's too much risk of going for 500 or more, and not enough upside. We won't often make 2, and on some of those hands partner will be raising. Even if we push them into 3 it's quite likely to make, because they'll play partner for the trump length.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 02:45

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-26, 02:34, said:

and on some of those hands partner will be raising

that's the key point for me which people often forget: when you can make 2 you'll often be playing in 3. we're a passed hand which provides some protection admittedly but vulnerable games are the ticket and partner will be striving hard to get us to one.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-26, 02:46

Way too crazy for me I think preempting 2H directly is a bit safer than passing and bidding 2H here, people who preempt 2H R/W are called crazy so... too crazy seem appropriate.

Also i much prefer that passing and bidding show hands that i cannot preempt initially because of shapes not because of suit quality (2 suiters, 6H+4S or 5H+ 5/6m).
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 05:28

Us: 5 with 13 verses Them: 15 hcp with 7 is about expected.
A little plus for 6-suit with a single.
Little fear partner raises, he can't see close to game.
The hand plays highly informed - 15 known.
I like 2H. Always MP, close IMP.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 09:03

I think it is automatic to bid, if partner had a penalty double avaible then perhaps it is not

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-26, 09:32

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-March-26, 01:50, said:

xxx J976xx x KJT

Yes or no and is it automatic/%/coin-toss/anti-%/insane?

Somewhere in between anti-% and insane at unfavorable, IMO.

Michael points out that Diamond chose not to act. He undoubtedly didn't want to throw up an adverse swing at that point in the match. For us, even if we thought we needed a few lucky anti-% to have a shot at that quality of team, I don't think we would choose this one. The potential gain is 4 or 5, versus loss of a whole lot.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-26, 09:47

Might want to mention you were 50 down going into the 3Q. Its the last board of the segment, but your card looks kind of flat.

I'm a bidder.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 12:33

If we are doubling NT with strong balanced hands then i may talk myself into passing

If not I would probably bid. Imo this is also a relatively safe position, my pd has the goodies and i have the shape and pd sitting behind 1NT opener. If opponents NT doesnt allow to hold 5 card major due to their system, i would feel better when doing this.

But anyway, when it is a topic about balancing or not, you can write me down for balancing by default :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 13:06

I didn't mention the SOTM because I'm interested in the hand on its own merits, not whether a particular player is a big believer in swinging or not. I also wanted to avoid the typical resulting and/or cult of personality influence that often impacts these discussions, as I somewhat miraculously managed to do in the thread about the mind-boggling appeal decision.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-26, 13:09

I would balance as long as I have a natural 2H available. But my regular partners and I have discussed balancing, and they aren't going to hang me.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-26, 14:53

At MP's I'm bidding and have no qualms about it. Not so clear at IMPs.

If I'm running out of time in the match, then bidding may pay off big time. Partner's presumed strength is behind the SNT, indicating bidding may be safer than it seems. Problem is, partner may expect more, but thats a risk I'm willing to take. Bid 2

#14 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 15:35

Partner would have doubled 1NT with a good balanced hand, thus we have at most half the highcard, so the upside of making game when we balance is limited to a few specific cases

* partner has 4 hearts, RHO has enough highcard to stay in 1NT despite being shaped, or
* partner has 3 hearts and hearts are 2-2, or the above condition, or
* partner has something like AT tight, the CA, and two spade honors

and in all cases, they can't make their own 20 HCP game in spades.

Given all that, I thought the vugraph commentary was way too double dummy on this board.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 09:29

View Postwank, on 2012-March-26, 02:45, said:

that's the key point for me which people often forget: when you can make 2 you'll often be playing in 3.

Didn't we tell pd that our hand is not worth a 1st seat weak 2 due to vulnerability ?

I would be more concerned about missing game if i was raised, than going down in 3. This hand is very good when pd has a fit 3 or 4 cards. I also would be worried more if 2 was passed out or doubled, rather than going down in 3 when pd raises.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 10:43

View Postdake50, on 2012-March-26, 05:28, said:

Us: 5 with 13 verses Them: 15 hcp with 7 is about expected.
A little plus for 6-suit with a single.
Little fear partner raises, he can't see close to game.
The hand plays highly informed - 15 known.
I like 2H. Always MP, close IMP.

Why is partner limited to 13?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users