BBO Discussion Forums: NEW MINOR FARCE versus CHECKBACK STAYMAN - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NEW MINOR FARCE versus CHECKBACK STAYMAN Marvin French’s take on another holy cow

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-18, 20:34

There are so many reasons that on the auction:
1C-1D
1N-? 2c (or 2D) should not be part of any checkback system, that I can't say them all.

Of course, I am speaking from an original assumption where 1D denies a major unless G.F. With game-force responder can rebid quite naturally ---opener could easily have even two 4-card majors, but it doesn't take any gadget to find that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-18, 21:45

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-18, 20:34, said:

1C-1D
1N-? 2c (or 2D) should not be part of any checkback system, that I can't say them all.

Of course, I am speaking from an original assumption where 1D denies a major unless G.F. With game-force responder can rebid quite naturally ---opener could easily have even two 4-card majors, but it doesn't take any gadget to find that.

What this auction is to walsh, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the auction 1C!-1D!-1S is to transfer Walsh. A hopeless situation to use XYZ as the unbalanced nature of opener makes things very tricky.

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-19, 04:16

I think the relative merits of the two is partly dependant on the base system. If you play that all balanced hands outside of NT range open 1 then using NMF here is extremely unattractive. On the other hand, if you play that the 1 opening promises 4 then NMF starts to look reasonably good. The trade-off depends on how important it is to be able to show a weak hand with fit for Opener's 1 call in comparison with the constructive hands that are more efficient when you give up a natural 2. From what I have seen though, the majority of 5 card major players now use 2-way checkback so the comparison is really somewhat obsolete.
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-19, 20:04

Of course, I am speaking from an original assumption where 1D denies a major unless G.F. ...

It depends on style as Zel pointed out. With 2 4-card suits I would bid up the line, so 1 would probably deny a 5-card major (but not a 4-card major), though may be 5-6 etc. Would opener skip a 4-card major to bid 1NT? It seems to be a popular style with WNT to show the extra strength...
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 03:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-March-18, 07:24, said:

4. Two way Checkback Stayman, which works just like two way Stayman over an opening 1NT. IOW, 2 is invitational, and 2 is GF.

The important bit you've missed out is that 2 forces 2 (which can be passed), and then subsequent bids are invitational.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 05:06

1C-1D

Yes, you can chose to bid naturally if you are by passing suit with less than GF hands. Which is also the method that i use.

But still you need to use check back. For example;

1--1
1NT How will you set trumps or and start a forcing auction without using 2 ? Because the method you suggest is obviously clear when you have a side 4 card major, pd will understand you have a GF hand since you didnt skip suit, but what if you dont have a side 4 card M ? You may use 3m as forcing but then how will you make game invitation ?

Also, there are 2 ways to find 4-4 major fits in this auction

a-You ask via check back ( for the hands which you only want to play game, balanced hands)

b-You bid naturally as you suggested. ( i used both of them b4 i started 2 way nmf, this one showed 6-4 hands and unbalanced with a stiff or void for slam purposes, while as i said other one was with balanced hands and only for game )
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-20, 05:33

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-20, 05:06, said:

Yes, you can chose to bid naturally if you are by passing ...

If I am passing I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling natural, I'd see a doctor.

Sorry :ph34r: :ph34r:
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-20, 05:42

View PostStatto, on 2012-March-20, 05:33, said:

If I am passing I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling natural, I'd see a doctor.

Sorry :ph34r: :ph34r:

:D
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-20, 08:13

But still you need to use check back. For example;

1--1
1NT How will you set trumps or and start a forcing auction without using 2 ?

Since you already stated in the first sentence that we still need to use check back, perhaps the question in the 2nd sentence was made to be rhetorical. But, I will answer anyway.

Again, so much depends on context of all our agreements which might make the problem non-existent. However, for those who don't have our agreements and don't want to use 2C ---they can make a semi-natural major suit rebid, then establish the minor on the next round...creating their G.F. slam probe.

Now for why we don't have the problem:

It is only the responding hands which are slammish opposite a 1NT rebid that are of concern here.

Slammish hands with long clubs start with inverted club raise (5+ clubs)
Slammish hands with long diamonds or seriously two-suited (5+5+) minor suit hands start with 2. 2D/1C is the 2-level jump shift which we don't use as weak. Continuations are pretty much as Mike Lawrence has written up.

I feel like a broken record harping on context, and why some of our agreements which are not mainstream are workable, rather than the negative terms others use to describe them. Conversely, I don't badmouth the mainstream methods because they involve a different context from ours ---and might be the best alternative to revising parts of their system, for those pairs.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-20, 08:19

1--1
1NT How will you set trumps or and start a forcing auction without using 2 ?

You could, of course, simply define a 3 rebid as a slam try in clubs and a 3 rebid as a slam try in diamonds. Or you could define 2 as "hearts or slammy in a minor" and then use some artificial continuations to sort it out.
(-: Zel :-)

#31 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-20, 13:27

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-20, 08:19, said:

You could, of course, simply define a 3 rebid as a slam try in clubs and a 3 rebid as a slam try in diamonds. Or you could define 2 as "hearts or slammy in a minor" and then use some artificial continuations to sort it out.

Yes Zel, i could, but does it worth to put artificial meanings to more than 1 bid, just to keep our ability to play 2 ? Just so we can use 2 as natural ? And as i said earlier in the thread, and saying again for this auction ;

1--1
1NT--2 (to play, retreat from NT)

How often do we really expect this type of hand to come and how often are we expecting our opponents to sell it out to us ?

#32 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 16:51

1C-1D

Presumably this controversial claim was a typo for "Aquawoman and I happen not to use checkback in this auction."
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#33 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-March-20, 20:11

IMO Marvin is right. For your amusement, here is the variation that I play. After say...:
1- 1 -
1N - 2 = Modified Crowhurst (so-named because Eric Crowhurst invented check-back)
Then...
  • 2 = MIn neither 3 nor 5 ,
  • 2 = Min with 5 .. May have 3 .
  • 2 = Min with 3 . (After minimum replies, responder's new suit and 3-level bids are forcing).
  • 2N = Max flat (Responder continues naturally)
  • 3 = Max off-shape 1534 e..g Q Qxxxx AQx AQJx (assuming 1N rebid = 15-17).
  • 3 = Max off-shape 1543.
  • 3 = max off-shape 1633.e.g. A Jxxxxx AQJ AJx
  • 3 = max off-shape 1444.
  • 3N = Max 2533 (only if responder is unlimited)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users