#2 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-18, 00:16

2N natural showing stopper, 3 confirming clubs
3 is a cue in support of clubs?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 00:17

View PostMickyB, on 2012-February-18, 00:01, said:

1:1
2:2
2N:3

How do you play this?

nonexpert here:

2h=gf 14+ very good hand, does not promise hearts
2nt very often 11-13 but not 100%, roughly 2=2=5=4....roughly.
3c sets trumps, slam interest.
3h=heart values, does not reset hearts as trumps, pard does not have a diamond cue.

xx...AJ...QJTxx...KQxx or better but not 14+ with this shape.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 02:45

How do you play this?

To me, after the minor fit is established, bids under 3NT is seeking for the right game, not value showing or slam accepting bids, unless takes another action later to tell me otherwise.

I would expect opener to bid 3 with all Hx holdings instead of 3 ( Qx Kx AJxxx Kxxx )

I would expect opener to bid 3 NT with hands that he thinks 3 NT is best ( x KJx AJxxx QJxx or xx AQ KJxxx QTxx )

That pretty much leaves 3 and 3 bids. Whatever 3 doesnt show must be in 3 bid including xx and lousy stopper imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-February-18, 02:57

Ace, I think responder here already told otherwise. If he wanted to SO in 3NT after hearing a heart stopper, he should bid it. Thus 3 already suggests towards slam. Thus I take 3 simply as a cuebid. Whether it denies one in depends on agreements and style.

Mike, what do you suggest opener to do with stronger hands if the max for this is 13 count? I guess it's possible to jump to 3NT with 14+ but that seems quite problematic. I'd at least make a split so that 2NT is min or max and 3NT then is 14-15. Without specific agreements about this kind of sequence, I'd just split my range later with NS3NT.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 04:18

I think we're still discussing strains, so it's concentrated hearts rather than a cue-bid. That will sometimes amount to the same thing, but one difference is that it doesn't deny a diamond cue-bid. I'd bid 3 with something like x AKJ Axxxx QJxx, for example.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 05:11

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-18, 04:18, said:

I think we're still discussing strains, so it's concentrated hearts rather than a cue-bid. That will sometimes amount to the same thing, but one difference is that it doesn't deny a diamond cue-bid. I'd bid 3 with something like x AKJ Axxxx QJxx, for example.

OK, so if responder's third bid is 3 instead of 3, presumably 3 would still have the same meaning? It feels much better for it to show a weak heart stop, or perhaps just club strength, on that sequence, but it would require rather sophisticated agreements for the two 3 bids to have different meanings.

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-18, 07:03

Its more a guess than anything but at imps I would bid 3C with any hands that I feel that 5C might be better than 3Nt (so over that 3H is some willingness to play in 5C/6C rather than 3nt. Something like good clubs and A of H (rather than soft values).

At MP ill bid 3C only with slammish hands so 3H is cheapest cuebid (so denies a D control and show a H control). When responder as a great hand with D shortness he knows that 6C is going to be good
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 07:35

Assuming what I regard as the English style of FSF, where opener would often have bid 2 with 2254, the suit where we're most vulnerable is probably spades. I'm making this up as I go along, but I think that in both sequences:
- 3 shows 2254 (unless that was excluded by the 2NT bid).
- 3NT is a suggestion to play there, so implies a singleton spade honour, or something like xx AK in the majors.
- Whatever is left has to cover the hands with a small singleton spade.

After responder has bid 3, we can split the third category into hands with good diamonds and hands with good hearts. After responder has bid 3, we can't, so they all get lumped into 3.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 09:21

3c has no limit however there are many hands where
3n has no play but 5c is a standout ie
KQxx
void
KQx
Qxxxxx

bidding 3c over 2n conveys message that we are
concerned about heart suit stopps and asks p to
bid 3n if hearts double stopped. The 3h bid by
opener then not only denies a double stop but
cue bids the ace.

this is especially helpful if responder is not
minimum and may be considering slam

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-18, 10:25

View PostFlameous, on 2012-February-18, 02:57, said:

Ace, I think responder here already told otherwise. If he wanted to SO in 3NT after hearing a heart stopper, he should bid it. Thus 3 already suggests towards slam. Thus I take 3 simply as a cuebid. Whether it denies one in depends on agreements and style.

We all know responder is interested in slam when he bids 3, or wasnt sure where he wants to game. It is not a firm judgement/strategy to think that responder would simply bid 3NT with all hands that has no slam interest and dont even bother to show . Thats how people end up playing no play 3NT contracts when almost slam is available in the agreed minor.

You are mistaken perhaps if you think 2 NT promised a full stopper, xx Qx AJxxx AQxx would bid 2 NT and responder has to show his support if a- has a slam interest b-isnt sure where to play the game. Thus the bids under 3NT are for the right strain.

Here is a quote from Kit Woolsey (from bridge winners)

Kit Woolsey said:

My partnership agreements are: Above 3NT, there are no choice of games Q-bids. Any Q-bid is a slam try. Below 3NT there are no slam tries unless a 9-card major-suit fit has been established. Any artificial call is assumed to be looking for the best game until proven otherwise. This doesn't always work perfectly, but it leaves no ambiguity and clears up situations such as .....

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-February-18, 10:25

View PostFlameous, on 2012-February-18, 02:57, said:

Mike, what do you suggest opener to do with stronger hands if the max for this is 13 count? I guess it's possible to jump to 3NT with 14+ but that seems quite problematic. I'd at least make a split so that 2NT is min or max and 3NT then is 14-15. Without specific agreements about this kind of sequence, I'd just split my range later with NS3NT.

with this shape(2254) and 14+ I would open a nt type bid very very often.

if 1=3=5=4 sure I may have more than 13 here but then I am really thinking about slam after pards 3c bid.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-February-18, 10:29

that is a huge hand for me across from pards 3c bid, I am looking more for a grand slam now.

#14 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 11:19

How do you play this?

Probably Axx, not sure about 3NT.

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-18, 18:07

Amen, you and I would be good as partners, this was exactly my feeling.

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-18, 18:10

View PostMickyB, on 2012-February-18, 05:11, said:

OK, so if responder's third bid is 3 instead of 3, presumably 3 would still have the same meaning? It feels much better for it to show a weak heart stop, or perhaps just club strength, on that sequence, but it would require rather sophisticated agreements for the two 3 bids to have different meanings.

I don't think so. I think it's just bridge logic. Over 3C if you have 1354 with a weak heart stopper, you will very likely have a 3D bid. I guess it's possible you have all the club honors or something, in which case you can still bid 3H with like x Axx xxxxx AKQx I guess, it's not that far off and obv that's a weird hand type. With a doubleton spade you can bid 3S obviously.

Over 3D, everything is different. With no 3D bid you have 3H, 3S, and 3N. 3S would be a doubleton spade, so your only other bids are 3H and 3N. To me 3H would just say "I am unsure about 3N and don't want to go past it." This is either a weak heart stopper or an overall slam suitable hand with a stiff spade.

Having an extra step in an auction like this obviously changes the whole context of the bidding.

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-18, 18:12

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-18, 07:35, said:

Assuming what I regard as the English style of FSF, where opener would often have bid 2 with 2254, the suit where we're most vulnerable is probably spades. I'm making this up as I go along, but I think that in both sequences:
- 3 shows 2254 (unless that was excluded by the 2NT bid).
- 3NT is a suggestion to play there, so implies a singleton spade honour, or something like xx AK in the majors.
- Whatever is left has to cover the hands with a small singleton spade.

After responder has bid 3, we can split the third category into hands with good diamonds and hands with good hearts. After responder has bid 3, we can't, so they all get lumped into 3.

Again I agree with this. FWIW I would sometimes bid 2S with 2254 and sometimes 2N. If I had 2 small spades and a heart stopper, I would almost always bid 2N. Hx of spades and a heart stopper might depend. So if I bid 3S you would know I had a real heart stopper and usually 2 small spades, or possibly Hx of spades and a NTy heart stopper like KJ.

#18 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 19:33

but the auction which sparked this question was 1-1-2-2-2NT-3 which changes things massively. opener can no longer temporise with 3 so 3 is not so specific

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-18, 19:39

View Postwank, on 2012-February-18, 19:33, said:

but the auction which sparked this question was 1-1-2-2-2NT-3 which changes things massively. opener can no longer temporise with 3 so 3 is not so specific

fo sho

#20 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 19:49

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-18, 19:39, said:

fo sho

acronym check? FO i could hazard a guess at

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic