#1 User is offline   NickB50014 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-18, 11:17

A K Q x x
void
void
A K Q x x x x x
Saw this in a bridge benefit two days ago, LHO had this hand as dealer. Opened 1, partner said 2, RHO said 2, I said 3 with 5 card support and A Q over RHO's expected K. LHO jumped to 6 pass to me and I smartly (or so I thought at the time) doubled. LHO made 6X+1,as they trumped a spade lose with the singleton J in RHO's hand.

My question is, how would you guys open this?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-18, 11:58

Hi welcome to the forums. I'm having a hard time making sense of this, but I think what's happened is:

LHO* Partner RHO You
6...pass....pass....double**
All pass

* who held the AKQxx,void,void, AKQxxxxx

You held ? AQ? xxxxx ?

The vulnerability is unclear, but it appears to be a pairs event.

---------

* - There are some interesting tactical possibilities. You could open this 7 to shut out a red suit sacrifice that rates to be profitable for them. Since its matchpoints, you could open 1 to see if there is a spade fit since 7>7. You could even 'walk' this up to 7 in the hopes you get doubled. One thing I would not do is open this 2. It is inconceivable that 1 or 1 gets passed out, and we rate to get preempted in a red suit with a hand this extreme.

** - Why are you doubling? You didn't provide your whole hand, but LHO as announced a lot of black cards, so there's no reason to think you are cashing two red suit tricks.

I would give your entire hand, and I would also give the vulnerability.

Thanks
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   NickB50014 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 12:51

I dont remember my exact hand, I do remember I had 9 or 10 points, I put partner on 11 or so and rho at least 5 (where he only really had 1 point not counting his 6 card heart suit) We were vulnerable my opponents were not. We ended up getting a bottom, but other people had doubled and held them to 6 as declarer did not trump a losing spade before drawing trumps.
My hand was something like this
10 x x x
A Q x
x
Q x x x x
My figuring was LHO would be void somewhere, but double void never crossed my mind. I counted on pulling either 2 hearts or 2 diamond tricks not 0 and 0 :P And I also knew my 4th spade might pick up a trick and in an auction where we showed points I figured it wasn't a bad double. Turns out if my partned led trump we hold them to 6 as my 4th spade becomes a winner.

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-January-18, 13:47

I would never open 1. For me this is a clear 2 opening (we want to play game when partner is very weak and would pass a 1-level opening), but if I'd be forced to open at 1-level I think 1 stands out by a mile.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-January-18, 14:39

I'd open 6 (Maybe 7, but I suspect 6)
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   NickB50014 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 15:27

At another table the local bridge instructor opened 2 ended up in 6 but got a bottom as well because he wasn't doubled, because East/West (my teams positions) didn't get to show any points.

#7 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-January-18, 18:02

1 seems reasonable - if partner can support , 7 looks a good bet, otherwise there's probably a loser that can't be dealt with by ruffing without risking an overruff, so 6 is probably the best spot. If partner converts to 6, it should probably have good chances too.

1 is another possible start, hoping to make a forcing bid next - if partner likes , 7 looks good as there should be enough support to ruff a loser.

One thing almost for certain, 1 or 1 isn't going be passed out. I'm not sure about 2 - with two voids even white v red I'd expect competition, so we're probably not going to get to show both suits and may be left with just bidding 6 anyway.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-18, 18:14

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-January-18, 14:39, said:

I'd open 6 (Maybe 7, but I suspect 6)

Yes, but how often? :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users