• You cannot reply to this topic

For the Squeeze Mavens - II

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-15, 13:04

Here is the 2nd:

The contract is 6N. LHO leads a club and they break 4-2. Its MPs so getting a 13th trick is key.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-15, 13:31

Without thinking too much, cash hearts and spades. This seems to cumulate regular double squeezes with guard variants.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-15, 15:15

cash 3 clubs to see the break, after seeing LHO has 4, assume that if someone has 4 it is RHO. So pitch a heart, cash A, get to dumy with A and run clubs

If RHO has 4 hearts he will be forced to abandon either spades or diamonds first, if he pitches diamonds so do we. pitch all of them, and in the end cash K and it ends up with a non simultaneosu double squeeze against east (after 5 clubs, 2 diamonds and 1 spade, he must still hold 4 hearts so has parted both spades and diamonds.

If RHO abandons spades, then the same operates, we cash K and end up with non simultaneous double squeeze.

#4 User is offline   caky_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-15, 17:48

cash 3 round cl to see break then run to see break pitch to Q then enter dummy with spade... double squeze when you run ...

#5 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-15, 19:28

In the ending I won't consider playing for a guard squeeze to have operated -- it's not worth chancing down 1 when it looks like we're in the top spot.

I would cash three hearts pitching a diamond from dummy, thus when I run clubs I know the heart position.

This maximizes my chances of guessing the ending when RHO has the heart length (I'm aiming at a compound squeeze, since the singly guarded suit lies over the defender). If LHO has the heart length, then I'll come down to

AKx
--
Kx
--

vs

J
x
ATx
--

Now if LHO has hearts and spades guarded, I'm OK. If LHO has heart and diamond length (including at least one honor), hopefully 6NT= isn't awful.

Edit -- Weak opponents might give away the heart length if we lead to the HK at T2, it might be a little better to only cash two hearts if it looks like LHO has the length. Then we can come down to

AKx
--
Kxx
--

vs

J
Ax
ATx
--

Dummy's diamond spot is so useless that a clash* position against LHO isn't available, but if he has the heart and diamond guards and the SQ he's had to pitch all his small spade spots and I might read that.

* -- if we had cashed one high spade and pitched a diamond from hand

How do the opponents defend?
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 07:46

I have half a line:

If you cash three hearts pitching a spade from dummy, and rho has the heart length, now you can catch him in a positional double squeeze anytime the spade queen is on your right. I can, say, cash two top spades then run the club, on the last club, if rho doesn't unguard the heart suit, he must come down to two diamonds, then i can pitch the heart and his partner is squeezed in spades and diamonds.

If the hearts are the other way you can run the same line provided that rho holds the spade queen. I am, in effect, playing for the spade Q and the heart length to be split.

I suspect there are compound squeeze variants if you cashed the clubs pitching a spade a heart and a diamond. Now if RHO has the hearts, cashing the winners in whichever suit he has unguarded will create a positional double squeeze. But, it will require lots of reading. On the other hand, it is in theory 100% to make if rho has four hearts. Which you might favour if you played three rounds of clubs and rho shows out. I don't know. I would play the line above of heart length + spade queen, as I hate endings where I have to card read, but the compound squeeze might be better technically.

Example of the compound squeeze variant:

On the last three clubs east pitches three spades, now I can cash the spade AK squeezing east out of his diamond guard. Now three rounds of hearts will squeeze west in spades and diamonds. If east threw diamonds on the clubs instead, I woulc cash the AK of diamonds, squeezing him out of his spade guard, and then cash three hearts to squeeze west in diamonds and spades.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-18, 09:57

On the actual hand, LHO held the heart length, but RHO held Jxxxx. Turns out the value of the J is an illusion, and only distracts from the winning line.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users