• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ethical Obligation claims

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-21, 08:50

Suppose declarer claims conceding one of the tricks. What are my obligations in the following 2 scenarios:

1) Looking at my hand, I know there is no reasonable line where he can lose the trick, but it is technically possible for him to give it to us if he plays badly.

2) There is absolutely no order of cardplay where we can take any tricks. Even if he collides every honor and plays bottom up.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 09:52

My obligation would be on the first one to let the director decide after explaining to him exactly what you explained to us.

My obligation on the second one would be to tell the declarer to score it up as taking all the tricks.

My obligation might not be everyone's.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-21, 09:52, said:

My obligation might not be everyone's.

This is not true. Your obligation under the Laws of Bridge is the same as anyone's. Your inclination might be different from some.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:40

View PostVampyr, on 2011-November-21, 10:38, said:

This is not true. Your obligation under the Laws of Bridge is the same as anyone's. Your inclination might be different from some.

There I go again, with my literary license. Stefanie will always keep me in line. In this case I have a hunch my inclination and my obligation might be the same.

#5 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:51

You actually have no obligations at all. The polite thing to do is simply accept the concessions unfussily. In the first case, there is no realistic prospect of undoing the concession, so that should be the end of it. In the second case, your opponent will get the trick back if he attempts to cancel the concession, but it is for your opponent to cancel the concession, you can't do it for him. If you don't like free gifts from opponents, you could point this out to him, but are under no legal obligation to do so, and he is under no obligation to cancel a concession he has made.

Legal explanation. Your opponent has conceded the tricks to you. Under L71, those tricks are yours now, unless your opponent seeks to cancel the concession. So, given you are apparently certain about the outcomes, it would be unhelpful to contest the concession under L70, because that in effect says either "your concession was insufficiently generous to us" or "I do not know from the information I have whether this is a sufficiently generous concession, and I am contesting it to reveal the information". L70 is not a process for returning conceded tricks to the opposition. The only way he can retrieve those tricks is to cancel the concession under L71. The criterion for cancelling a concession means that the cancellation will very likely not be successful in the first case, but likely will be successful in the second case (L71(2)).

Edited to tighten the wording.

This post has been edited by iviehoff: 2011-November-21, 10:55

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:56

I assume that declarer hasn't stated his line.

if he has, and, for example, he says : conceding a heart, and his hearts are all good, then I point that out. But if his hearts were say 875 and he's obviously forgotten that all the higher ones have been played, and I have the stiff 6, then I accept the claim....if he thinks that the only heart outstanding is higher than the 8, he could as well lead the 5 as the 8, and my 6 would win.

If he hasn't stated a line, then I think that in a real tournament, I'd call the director and at a less serious event, I'd ask him to state his line and then decide as per above.

In the second scenario, I'd always tell him that he has the rest, show him my hand, and have a chuckle with him.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-21, 11:10

Yes, despite the procedural arguement of iviehoff, I would have trouble with knowing an opponent cannot concede a trick which he cannot lose and allowing that irregularity to slide.

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-November-21, 12:30

I think that if my opponent was locked on the board with AKJ alone and said "I cash the AK, conceding the Q, and I held the doubleton Q, I would say "The Q falls" and score it up as three tricks at the end. Now suppose he just says "I take two tricks, conceding the Queen". I think that's the same, even if the phrasing is a bit different. Suppose now he has four cards in the dummy, AKT and a loser in another suit. The J has fallen previously and my Queen is still a doubleton. This is different. If he plays the AK, my Queen falls, he may or may not remember that the Jack has fallen previously and he may or may not know his spot card in the other suit is a loser. So we assume he plays AK and then the spot from the other suit. Could be.

There are in between cases I suppose.
Ken

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 12:47

For 2), the Law (79A2) is clear:

A player must not knowingly accept either the score for a trick that his side did not win or the concession of a trick that his opponents could not lose.

For 1), the Law quote is "normal* line of play". If it's a borderline case, it's probably normal*. If it's a borderline borderline case, I'd probably accept the concession, and ensure somehow that they know to try to cancel the concession (once the onus is shifted as it is in L71). But I don't think that second half is legally necessary; it's just my personal ethics (I know the Law better than most players; I don't feel that that should gain me an advantage through their ignorance, as opposed to an advantage through my knowledge, which I think is perfectly appropriate).

Of course that would also depend on the event. The Flt. A Swiss, you're on your own lookout. The club game, with newer players? I'm probably short-circuiting this whole discussion: "you'd never get this wrong. Make 'em all."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 13:29

79A2 does appear to cover this, though it's a pity it is tucked away at the end where a director or player who wants to know the rules about claiming will not look for it.

But if there is any way for declarer to lose a trick, I think it's fine to accept the concession. After all, it's a bridge error (not a mechanical error or other accident unrelated to bridge skill) to not know how many tricks you might take and how to take them.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 16:36

What is being discussed here is your minimum obligations under the law. Is that minimum what the post is about?

You may set the bar higher to satisfy your personal standards which I have seen done many times by players I like and respect.

I guess it should be done with the knowledge and consent of the Director in a pairs competition to avoid unintended consequences to others in the field.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-November-21, 18:12

1- I would accept the claim. He is obviously sleeping and i dont have the obligation to tell him he is making a mistake and that he shd correct it. People make mistakes at bridge and forgiving it is unfair to our side. (assuming he has a way to go down by a bad play)

2- I would say it is wrong claim and we can not take any tricks, and concede.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-November-22, 02:28

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-November-21, 08:50, said:

Suppose declarer claims conceding one of the tricks. What are my obligations in the following 2 scenarios:

1) Looking at my hand, I know there is no reasonable line where he can lose the trick, but it is technically possible for him to give it to us if he plays badly.

2) There is absolutely no order of cardplay where we can take any tricks. Even if he collides every honor and plays bottom up.

I was under the assumption that you cannot knowingly accept a trick that you cannot take. I see mycroft quoted the law. This is completely fair to me, definitely tell them in situation #2.

If they can lose a trick, it's fine to take it, they conceded it and it's possible for them to lose it. Totally agree with mikeh that if they have 875 of hearts and concede a heart when I have the 6 it is fine to take it, afterall had they played it out, and they thought the ace was out instead of the 6, they might well have played the 5 since it does not matter. I am not going to eliminate the possibility of that because they conceded, the error is theirs.

There was a similar situation that generated a long thread in the laws forum (I think they claim all the tricks, not aware that a trump is out), and I think many who have played against me wee surprised I would call the director and claim that I got a trump trick if that happened... but the principle is the same, they do not know the 6 is out because they think all of the trumps are gone, so they might have played the 5 had they played it out, and I should not be robbed of that opportunity becuase they miscounted and erroneously claimed. This is fundamentally different than when they know a trump is out and claim without saying anything, then you are just being an idiot who is trying to win on a technicality becuase they did not say anything when they claimed. Luckily these situations are obvious, for instance if a declarer has AKQJ9xx opp void in trumps, cashes the AK and everyone follows, and then claims without saying anything, obv he didn't think he had pulled all the trumps, since he was just testing if they were 5-1. However, if a declarer cashes the AKQ, someone shows out, then he cashes his remaining winners without pulling trumps, and then claims, I would say he clearly thought all the trumps were gone (else he would not have risked his remaining winners getting ruffed), and then he should lose a trump trick.

Sorry for the tangent but these situations are fundamentally the same to me, the opponent should not be allowed to profit from his error of miscounting something, so if declarer thinks something about the hand that he has a loser when he doesn't, he might well misplay, and not taking the trick would be allowing him to profit from the claim, but you are not allowed to take a trick that you cannot take, and then you are just stealing a trick by accepting the claim, it's not like he AUTOMATICALLY has to be punished for miscounting something...if he could play it out in any order and not lose a trick, then he got lucky, oh well!

I find the suggestion that one would accept a trick that they could not knowingly take when the opp concedes dispicable, equivalent to revoking on purpose and then not telling anyone and benefiting... sure no one knows that you did it on purpose, but you're still a scumbag.

#14 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-22, 04:44

When I was playing at the International Festival in Croatia earlier this year I was in this situation. A supposedly good declarer claimed by saying I got one trick. Me and partner looked at eachother, silently agreed (with eachother, not with the concession...), and showed declarer our hands. He could definetely get the rest, and at the moment I believed it was OP's case 2.

I then realised that with his mistaken count he could possibly lose a trick (I still had the second-highest trump), if it would be "normal" or not I was not sure. Declarer did not say anything, but since it was a relatively serious tournament I called a TD. It seemed like the TD didn't understand why he was called and believed we had questioned declarers claim for the rest without mentioning the last trump (unlike most of the TD's there he was not very good at English), and ruled that declarer would get the rest (which was an obvious ruling if declarer had claimed all the tricks). We accepted after what seemed like one failing attempt of explaining to the TD why he was called (it was only an overtrick at IMP's)...

The position was something like this (maybe this belongs in the ruling forum): Declarer had QT in trumps and believed I had a trump-trick with a now-singelton J behind him (partner did not follow to the last trick, a trump). Declarer had a sidesuit with the equivalent of Ax in hand to Kxx in dummy (which now broke 2-2) and an outside loser in dummy. Would it be "normal" to lose a trick here for a declarer thinking there are 2 trumps out?

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-November-22, 05:33

Of course. No reason he wouldn't just play the ace and king and last card of the side suit. I would accept claim and not feel bad about it.

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-22, 07:30

It's not directly on the topic of the post, but as long as we are discussing claims with outstanding trumps ..

As I have stated before, I strongly believe that there should a written rule which states: when a claim is made by declarer, the defense is automatically awarded a trick for every trump they hold (including trumps in separate hands), without regard to any other circumstance whatsoever. Perhaps excepting cases where loss of a trick is entirely impossible (i.e. declarer holds only top trumps in hand).

IMO this would save so much interpreting, lawyering, director calls, and forum threads, that it would be well worth the extra bit of time it takes declarer to remove any non-high trumps.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-November-22, 07:56

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-22, 07:30, said:

IMO this would save so much interpreting, lawyering, director calls, and forum threads, that it would be well worth the extra bit of time it takes declarer to remove any non-high trumps.

Or declarer could just say "drawing trumps" while he claims if there are trumps out. Why do you want a rule that protects people who forget that there is a trump out?

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-22, 08:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-November-22, 07:56, said:

Or declarer could just say "drawing trumps" while he claims if there are trumps out. Why do you want a rule that protects people who forget that there is a trump out?

er ... I was trying to penalize declarers who forget there is a trump out? Not sure how my rule would protect them.

As for "drawing trumps" as part of a claim, perhaps declarer can lay down enough trumps to do the job. This would also save the other op from tanking over his pitches. A verbal-only "drawing trumps" allows declarer who thinks there is one less trump out than there actually is, to make all the tricks when he might lose one in actual play. I know this doesn't happen at your level, but it does happen, otherwise we wouldn't have all these threads about it!

Perhaps we could allow "drawing 3 rounds of trumps", for example. Or even, "drawing all 4 remaining trumps". But IMO, not just "drawing trumps".
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-22, 08:39

Me: <laying down hand> Drawing Trumps, playing A, low heart to KQ, pitching the diamond loser on the Q.

RHO, after two minutes thinking: What are you going to do with your diamond loser?

:blink: :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-November-22, 08:48

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-22, 08:05, said:

er ... I was trying to penalize declarers who forget there is a trump out? Not sure how my rule would protect them.

As for "drawing trumps" as part of a claim, perhaps declarer can lay down enough trumps to do the job. This would also save the other op from tanking over his pitches. A verbal-only "drawing trumps" allows declarer who thinks there is one less trump out than there actually is, to make all the tricks when he might lose one in actual play. I know this doesn't happen at your level, but it does happen, otherwise we wouldn't have all these threads about it!

Perhaps we could allow "drawing 3 rounds of trumps", for example. Or even, "drawing all 4 remaining trumps". But IMO, not just "drawing trumps".

Very sry almost 7 am I am not sure how but I read your comment as the opposite of what you said lol. I'll go to sleep.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users