• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redoubles

#21 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-23, 07:37

I've only had two - 1NTXX+1 (-1160) after I doubled a weak NT with not quite enough -.-, and 3NTXX= (+1000) declared by myself during a speedball. (I was playing with Alan Schillitoe, he was the one who redoubled and hence was annoyed when I missed the strip squeeze for +1400, even though at that point I had no idea what a strip squeeze was! :))

Recently I've been trying to make a bit more use of the X in competitive bidding (flexible hands ala Robson-Segal). Found that works easy enough, so am now trying to make similar use of the blue card (e.g. 1C-1H-p-p; X-XX was one from the club last week, unfortunately opener partner took it out, the wimp!). No doubt it won't be long before I have another disaster (or epic success) to post here!

ahydra

#22 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-23, 08:00

This is from a recent ACBL Robot tournament.

My Robot partner scored +760 in 2xx.

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-23, 09:08

This year I've had three xx'd contracts for my side:

1. 4. No reason for me to redouble on this one, but partner played it well and it scored up. (I don't remember the particular hand).

2. 3. This was last week so I remember it. I held Kx Qx AKxxx AJxx. (opps silent) partner held xxx AT9xx Txx Kx. His LHO held AQx Jxx Qx QT9xx and he received a diamond lead, but couldn't get to 9. (1 - 1 - 2N - 3 - x, xx). Looking back, it seems he can make 1, 1, 4 + 3.

3. 2. Partner opened 2 and I bid 2 negative, x, xx. I sat with a doubleton heart but I think I had a ruffing value. Anyway, this one made as well.

By the way, in my experience, artificial two level bids are the most frequent xx'd contracts.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-23, 09:47

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-23, 09:08, said:

By the way, in my experience, artificial two level bids are the most frequent xx'd contracts.

Indeed. I seem to recall some experts play things like 1NT-p-transfer-X; XX as "to play" - IMO a good method, catches opponents out ;)

ahydra

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-23, 10:39

View Postahydra, on 2012-May-23, 09:47, said:

Indeed. I seem to recall some experts play things like 1NT-p-transfer-X; XX as "to play" - IMO a good method, catches opponents out ;)

I think that's generally considered the standard meaning. I remember a number of years ago reading a Bridge World article on playing these types of hands.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users