BBO Discussion Forums: Bermuda Bowl 2011 Universal Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bermuda Bowl 2011 Universal Thread

#1 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-16, 07:12

The die has been cast, so I start it here for daily news, comments, thoughts, congratulations, interesting things etc etc ...around the tournament.

PS Ooops. An error in the topic title, sorry. Maybe one of the hosts is able to correct it?
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-16, 08:40

View PostAberlour10, on 2011-October-16, 07:12, said:

PS Ooops. An error in the topic title, sorry. Maybe one of the hosts is able to correct it?

Classic :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-October-17, 01:27

Italy didn't get 25 every match, I think they got 22 one match, ergo they are declining and I will win it all! :P

#4 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-October-17, 01:34

If this really is the Bermuda Bowl 2001 thread, then I'll bet my life savings on Meltzer winning it all, making her the first woman to win a BB, and on her birthday as well! :lol:

I am a tad suprised that the WBF isn't keeping the Results page up to date. Then again, they also had the brillant notion to have USA 1 and USA 2 play at a time where only a few Americans could watch, rather than later when more could watch, and not be worried that one team would throw the match (I can't see WeinStein or Grall ever losing on purpose)!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-17, 01:58

USA 1 vs USA 2 is forced in match 1 of every world championship event to prevent any dumping concerns.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-17, 02:27

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-October-17, 01:27, said:

Italy didn't get 25 every match, I think they got 22 one match, ergo they are declining and I will win it all! :P

But you aren't improving, you have been on 6th position all rounds!

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-17, 09:03

View PostFluffy, on 2011-October-17, 02:27, said:

But you aren't improving, you have been on 6th position all rounds!

F UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

We are in a holding pattern :)

#8 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-17, 09:28

Anyway the forum regulars have peacefully tied the VP's today.

#9 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-October-17, 11:02

Up to 4th.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-October-17, 17:02

Justin made 6 today guessing trumps with Jx opposite AQ108xx, comentator said Justin said something in the end about why he played that way, but didn't catch it.

I recognice I would had run J every day of the week. Dad said he would had ruffed 2 diamonds in dummy. But well, neither of us is playing BB for a reason :P.

the hand was:

Jx
AKxxx
Kx
AQJx

AQ1087x
xx
AJ10x
x

10 lead

#11 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-17, 17:27

For these who did not watch this hand the spades were

K

9xxx

Why the Js wasn't LOGIC ?

#12 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-October-17, 18:29

I told Fluffy he was gonna play like that. The guy in the other room also did. Not sure if I would have done it.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-17, 22:55

Ruffing 2 diamonds in dummy is certainly a reasonable line, and I strongly considered it. If Rainer came here and told me it was the percentage line, I'd believe him!

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-17, 23:03

My thought process for playing spades instead of ruffing diamonds was basically that I had a ton of play even if the spade hook was off. I mean, I would try 3-3 hearts, and if that worked I would be cold (pitching 2 diamonds). If that didn't work, I'd have some diamond finesse + squeeze chances to fall back on.

If the spade hook is on, and spades are 3-2 I'm cold. If they are 4-1 on, I would probably revert to similar lines (3-3 hearts, or some diamond+ squeeze chances. But this time I might have some additional trump coup chances.

The downside of ruffing 2 diamonds is obviously if someone has K9xx of spades that's bad for me, and if RHO has 2 diamonds and can overruff me that's bad. I thought that risk was too great given how much play I have when I play on spades.

As far as leading a low spade from dummy, it is a routine play with this suit combination if entries permit it. I did consider playing the SJ in order to retain all my entries to dummy to ruff myself down in case it was K9xx of spades onside. I decided that didn't stand up to analysis since I was going to play for 3-3 hearts eventually. Another reason is they might duck Kx of spades on my left, and have 5 hearts, and give their partner a ruff. I decided that was pretty much impossible, and they might have just led a heart from that holding. Another reason is if they duck K9xx and then win the next one and play a heart back, I am committed to ruffing a heart and possibly getting overruffed, losing any other play. This seemed pretty meh compared to stiff onside. So, catering to stiff K seemed viable, obv I was lucky that that was the actual layout, it's a play you make very often but it never matters.

#15 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-18, 00:31

View PostFluffy, on 2011-October-17, 17:02, said:

Justin made 6 today guessing trumps with Jx opposite AQ108xx, comentator said Justin said something in the end about why he played that way, but didn't catch it.

I recognice I would had run J every day of the week. Dad said he would had ruffed 2 diamonds in dummy. But well, neither of us is playing BB for a reason :P.

the hand was:

Jx
AKxxx
Kx
AQJx

AQ1087x
xx
AJ10x
x

10 lead

The player for USA 1 also made the hand (I think it was Levin, but I'm not sure) after playing the J at trick one. He ended up having a double squeeze later (when the defense was friendly, and didn't force him to guess which squeeze to try for), and the diamonds were the double threat.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-18, 01:02

He got a 3C opener on his right, so the SJ is definitely the right play. You want both heart entries because you're planning to ruffing finesse clubs, then ruff out hearts, then claim on a double sqz if not 3-3 (unless RHO has 7 clubs and 4 hearts, in which case you hook the diamond through LHO which is almost 100 %!).

The difference there and at my table is that I did not know who had the CK, so I was not planning on taking a ruffing finesse in clubs later.

#17 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-18, 01:46

I was surprised to see that in the two USA1 v USA2 matches, this hand 5 J85432 A65 Q63 as dealer NV v V was passed twice. Jlogic was one of the passers. Should I be surprised?

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-18, 02:00

View Postiviehoff, on 2011-October-18, 01:46, said:

I was surprised to see that in the two USA1 v USA2 matches, this hand 5 J85432 A65 Q63 as dealer NV v V was passed twice. Jlogic was one of the passers. Should I be surprised?

Despite my reputation of being super crazy aggro, I actually am not, especially when it comes to preempts. I see why at this vul with a stiff spade it can be a winning style to preempt, but it's just not my partnerships style, I am not really comfortable with preempting this hand. I think being true to your style is important, or else your partner will never know how to judge how high to preempt/whether to bid game/etc

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-October-18, 05:12

I was also gonan comentate on the 6 hand how the chinese player (SHI I think) played the board

against 3 opener he won A and played J

after seeing the bad news in spades he cashed Q10 leaving the 9 out and he got to dummy on A and played Q covered and ruffed.

Now if Madala overruffs they are on a double squeeze (most likelly what hapened on Levin's table?

But Madala refused to overruff, so SHI got to dummy on K and played J pitching a diamond, this was the endgame:

Now again, if Madala overruffs he must play a heart and the double squeeze operates. But if he refuses to ruff, then he must decide to pitch a heart (heart ruff makes dummy high) or pitch a diamond. After diamond declarer ruffs a heart, cashes A, goes to dummy with K and ruffs a heart in hand making his 6 trumps letting West ruff his J.

No good option so he overruffed and played a diamond to break the double squeeze.

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-October-18, 05:17

Things I am learning this BB: It doesn't matter if you play 11-14 NT or 15-17, or whatever, 14 HCP Hands open 1NT always if balanced, regardless of 5c majors.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users