• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Discard systems

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-October-02, 03:33

I haven't seen much on discard systems and was wondering about the various pro's and cons.

Lots of people at my club play DODDS and I have to occasionally use it when I play with them. I don't like it that much, too much to think about when under pressure and tired at the end of the evening. I suspect that much of that is lack of practice but does appear to over complicate what should be a simple message. I also find it difficult to send a "no preference" signal.

Another partner, a beginner who attends regular lessons, was taught revolving Lavinthal and sticks to it religiously. I can see it has lots of flexibility and don't mind playing it although again it requires a bit more care at the end of the evening.

When I started playing last year my then partner preferred a simple attitude signal, upside down, and I've been using that with one partner since. I like its simplicity and we can usually find a small card in the suit we would like leading. I accept it does have problems, if we don't have a small card signalling discouragement of another suit might not imply the suit we want.

It also has an advantage over the other systems in that you can send a "definitely not this suit" signal by playing a high card. It is a rare case but I have used it to good effect.

I also find that a simple attitude signal works well on BBO as most pick-up partners seem to understand "low encourages" in my profile.

Another problem I find is that some partners at club level over-read discards to the detriment of the defence. A couple of times I have had to field comments among the lines of "..but I thought you wanted X lead ?" when a switch has let a contract make. Some don't seem to understand restricted choice, especially as the hand progresses, and I have even had to point out that they shouldn't switch to what they think is a signal if it is clearly not in the interests of the defence.

What do other members think on this subject? Am I being overly sensitive to the issue?

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-02, 10:36

I've become fond of o/e discards once we decided that the odd one is a strong come on where the even one as suit preference "may" just show a card, work it out.

3rd hand signals at trick 1 were also a problem with 1 pard when I would lead an A or K, dummy would have QJxx and that pard would signal "I don't like them". Doh!

We moved to one asks attitude the other asks count. At least you know what you're getting.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-02, 14:13

Partners who are less than expert will tend to lead whatever suit you 'asked for', without thinking as much as they should. In that case, when you don't know which of two suits is the correct switch, you definitely want a method like simple attitude that allows you to express no preference, e.g. by discouraging a third suit. Otherwise odd/even is a pretty good method but simple attitude is ok too.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-03, 08:34

If you are playing a method like Dodds or Lavinthal or revolving then it is best to do it only on the first discard and thereafter agree to simple attitude (or count if preferred). My experience has found that many weak players want to use their toy for every discard.

Simple attitude -> count -> sp works remarkably well most of the time, whether standard or upside-down. Remember if you have given attitude in a suit (or if it is obvious) that you do not need to do it again and can move onto the next signal. Also bear in mind that giving attitude in declarer's suit(s) often helps them more than partner. This is also why count or sp of some type are normal on delarer's leads but attitude is most common on partner's leads.

Do not worry too much if you find a partner who misreads signals. If they become a regular partner then you will come into synch over time and if not then you can only do your best. If you have a partner that does not read signals at all then you can freely false-card as you will only be able to mislead declarer! :)
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users