Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Charity USA2

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-18, 18:49

Congratulations to USA2 for winning the exhibition match with USA1. I also want to congratulate them for their choice of Charity.

Classy in every respect; there are few things I find to restore my faith in young people. This is one.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-18, 19:06

And I have a great idea on how the Junior Fund can use that money - make it free to join the USBF as a Junior, rather than having to pay $25 a year ($15 if you are 18 or younger) for membership. Too bad to qualify for the Patino U-26 Championship, you had to not only pay for a membership, but ALSO go to the fall NABC to play. For some of us, we can't afford the $1000 to fly cross-country, hotel, and food. There's also classes and/or jobs on top of that.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-19, 22:54

I was a little worried about this choice of charity as I am still eligible for the juniors for another year, so I didn't want to directly benefit from the choice since it might look bad. But I do really support junior bridge and am glad about our choice. I think I probably won't be playing any more junior events, so I don't think there will be any conflict on that front. Even if I do, hopefully everyone realizes we just wanted to give back to a program that gave us so much, and there were no nefarious motives.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-19, 23:06

the USBF Junion Fund wasn't likely to run out of money while you were still eligible for their subsidies, so you would have gotten funded by them regardless, and I don't see it as a conflict. This money goes into the pool, and is an investment for future juniors.

#5 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-September-20, 07:13

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-19, 22:54, said:

Even if I do, hopefully everyone realizes we just wanted to give back to a program that gave us so much, and there were no nefarious motives.

Everyone understands that, and congratulations on the win! (Nice duck with A-x-x of trumps.)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-27, 13:28

View Postchasetb, on 2011-September-18, 19:06, said:

And I have a great idea on how the Junior Fund can use that money - make it free to join the USBF as a Junior, rather than having to pay $25 a year ($15 if you are 18 or younger) for membership. Too bad to qualify for the Patino U-26 Championship, you had to not only pay for a membership, but ALSO go to the fall NABC to play. For some of us, we can't afford the $1000 to fly cross-country, hotel, and food. There's also classes and/or jobs on top of that.

You don't actually have to join the USBF to play in the junior trials, only if you win. I agree about all the other stuff though, I talked to two USBF members at length about how bad it is to have an in-person trials for the juniors (and this is coming from someone who is going to Seattle and who is flexible enough to travel to the nationals), but there are some people on the board who think they know how things should be done.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users