BBO Discussion Forums: annoying posts: why do they happen? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

annoying posts: why do they happen?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:14

I recently read a suggestion that may be self-evidento to many others who post here, but which got me to thinking.

The suggestion was that we see flame wars on the internet to a far greater degree than ever arise in real life largely because in real life, our exchanges are moderated by non-verbal cues. In most one on one discourse, we convey and receive many non-verbal cues that serve to lessen or modify the negative meaning we might otherwise draw from the mere words, while on-line we read the words and impose on them a meaning that arises more from our state of mind than it does any perception of what the author meant.....often were we to see the facial expression or the body language or hear the tone of voice, we would perceive a different meaning and perhaps not so readily take offence. Furthermore, these non-verbal cues operate as a sort of dampening feedback loop, minimizing the risk of a misunderstanding leading to escalation.

As one of those who undoubtedly irritates a number of posters, and who all too often gets irritated myself, this idea, which may seem obvious to others, made me metaphorically step back and look at how I behave on this forum, and how I perceive those whose posts occasionally annoy me.

As one example, there is a certain poster to whose ideas I often respond critically.....I shall not name him, but he is rumoured to be the best theorist on BBF. I suspect and maybe someday will learn that we'd get along fine over a beer or two....and that if we ever did, we'd still vigorously disagree but with perhaps more grace and humour than we do now...because we'd bring to each other's posts, as we read them, the real life impressions we have of the other, rather than merely the internal imagery we have created from reading our posts.

Now, the majority of posters seem to be able to avoid rudeness (either because they are nicer people than I am and/or they already instinctively or consciously understand this issue), and this post wouldn't have much relevance to them. I am definitely NOT trying to create more issues than already exist :D

So this post is partly a sort of apology to those I have annoyed, and will (alas) undoubtedly annoy in the future, and partly an invitation to others to either add to this thought or to suggest disagreement.

Perhaps this thread belongs in the WC, and, if so, I invite a moderator to move it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:24

View Postmikeh, on 2011-October-06, 11:14, said:

The suggestion was that we see flame wars on the internet to a far greater degree than ever arise in real life largely because in real life, our exchanges are moderated by non-verbal cues. In most one on one discourse, we convey and receive many non-verbal cues that serve to lessen or modify the negative meaning we might otherwise draw from the mere words, while on-line we read the words and impose on them a meaning that arises more from our state of mind than it does any perception of what the author meant.....often were we to see the facial expression or the body language or hear the tone of voice, we would perceive a different meaning and perhaps not so readily take offence. Furthermore, these non-verbal cues operate as a sort of dampening feedback loop, minimizing the risk of a misunderstanding leading to escalation.

I have heard this theory before. There is probably some truth to it. However, here's my take on matters

The internet forces us to deal with people that we would normally be able to exclude from our lives.

Case in point: I pretty much despise Lukewarm and alucard
I wouldn't cry a tear if either of them up and died

In the real world, you wouldn't ever see me/them at the same event. We're able to self segregate. Geography helps a lot, however, in the real world, I don't think that a host would ever make the mistake of inviting us both to a cocktail party.

Sadly, things don't work nearly as easily online.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:49

on-line we read the words and impose on them a meaning that arises more from our state of mind than it does any perception of what the author meant

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-October-06, 11:24, said:

Case in point: I pretty much despise Lukewarm and alucard
I wouldn't cry a tear if either of them up and died

I see what you mean... :P
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-October-06, 12:02

BBF? As in, Botswana bridge federation? B-)

Anyway, the internet without flames is like Brazil without the girls. It's not fun, ahah!

#5 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-October-06, 13:04

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-October-06, 12:02, said:

BBF? As in, Botswana bridge federation? B-)

Anyway, the internet without flames is like Brazil without the girls. It's not fun, ahah!

I AGREE

UM ELEFANTE INCOMODA MUITA GENTE, DOIS ELEFANTES, INCOMODAM INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS

UM ELEFANTE INCOMODA MUITA GENTE, DOIS ELEFANTES, INCOMODAM INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS, TRES ELEFNATES INCOMODAM, INCOMODAM INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS

UM ELEFANTE INCOMODA MUITA GENTE, DOIS ELEFANTES, INCOMODAM INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS, TRES ELEFNATES INCOMODAM, INCOMODAM INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS, QUATRO ELEFANTES INCOMODAM, INCOMODAM, INCOMODAM, INCOMODAM MUITO MAIS

(CHILDREN'S DITTY IN BRAZIL)

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-06, 14:15

As a person with absolutely no relevance to this discussion, I will troll anyway and offer my take.

My experience in real life with BRIDGE PLAYERS is slightly nuanced from that of Mike. In real life, the gestures and comments and means of making them are MUCH MORE OFFENSIVE than could possibly be generated in mere posts, and this among friends who have been and will remain friends for years. It is perhaps the nature of the personalities and the sense of humor held by those who play bridge.

For example, I might when talking in person to a random stranger avoid all discussion of anything controversial. However, when talking with bridge players, we have a certain level of mutual understanding as to both the facts discussed and the expected decorum. So, outside smoking a cigarette, a person might note leading the Queen against 6. Knowing the hand, in person I might say or have said to me, "That's a dumbass lead," even if I have never met the person. This would be rude to most people. But, it is bridge-specific decorum appropriate, somehow, to bridge discussions.

Now, there is a degree to which in person captures facial expressions better, and sometimes humor is missed. But, also to a degree the in-person facial expressions are worse!

But, who takes this personally? If the decorum of the discussion is in good nature started with, "Jane, you ignorant slut..." and then a bridge theory is espoused, the use of that lead-in is part of the game. No offense, nothing personal.

I would call Jane an ignorant slut over beers and expect Jane to respond with something equally appauling while offering to buy the next round.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-06, 15:10

I JUST HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE TYPE WITH THEIR CAPS LOCK ON, MY STATE OF MIND WON'T CHANGE THAT.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 16:08

Without those non-verbal cues I can certainly understand some people thinking Hrothgar was being serious rather than ironic.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-October-06, 17:03

Why do annoying posts happen? Because people are too easily annoyed, of course.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 17:04

Or are we too easily annoying?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-October-06, 18:22

In real life, when someone pisses me off, I rarely confront the person spontaneously. This is because I need time to consider an appropriate response. The more heated the conflict the more I have to lose by framing my position in a not-so-thought-through way. It usually takes a couple of hours before I have decided what an appropriate response would be. By that time, at least one of the two people involved is likely to have left the party. And otherwise the topic of discussion has changed so my response is no longer on-topic.

On the internet, when MikeH makes an annoying post, I can take my time to think through an appropriately toxic response and post it when it is still on-topic. In fact it typically takes a lot less than the two hours it might take it real life. This is because:
- I can afford not to be quite as thorough as I would have been IRL because if I make an ass of myself I can always edit it later.
- When in a toxic mood it is much easier to type than to talk because I don't have to worry about any non-verbal clues that might weaken my position, for example by betraying my lack of confidence in my own assertions. This is different when I want to make a friendly comment, in which case I am not worried about non-verbal clues.

So online communication makes it easier to be hostile and more difficult to be friendly.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-October-06, 18:55

As one example, there is a certain poster to whose ideas I often respond critically.....I shall not name him, but he is rumoured to be the best theorist on BBF. I suspect and maybe someday will learn that we'd get along fine over a beer or two....and that if we ever did, we'd still vigorously disagree but with perhaps more grace and humour than we do now...because we'd bring to each other's posts, as we read them, the real life impressions we have of the other, rather than merely the internal imagery we have created from reading our posts.

The poster to whom you are referring is arrogant with very little to be arrogant about and ill mannered. I would certainly not regard this poster as "the best theorist on BBF" either, by a long way.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-October-06, 19:28

We are perhaps underestimating the amount of rudeness that occurs in face to face conversations. It's just that there's no one writing it down for posterity.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-October-06, 21:19

View Postawm, on 2011-October-06, 19:28, said:

We are perhaps underestimating the amount of rudeness that occurs in face to face conversations. It's just that there's no one writing it down for posterity.

Maybe or maybe not. Recently hrothgar called me "you loathesome diseased cunt", and I do not believe that he would address a stranger, or indeed anyone, that way face-to-face.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-October-06, 21:22

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-October-06, 14:15, said:

If the decorum of the discussion is in good nature started with, "Jane, you ignorant slut..." and then a bridge theory is espoused, the use of that lead-in is part of the game.

Gosh, who else remembers point/counterpoint? That was so funny!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-October-06, 21:38

View PostVampyr, on 2011-October-06, 21:22, said:

Gosh, who else remembers point/counterpoint? That was so funny!

saturday night live skit with jane curtain and dan akroyd.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-October-06, 22:00

For many, emoticons express feelings almost as effectively as words :)
For some, emoticons are more effective ;)
A few are annoyed by them :angry:
Which makes me afraid :ph34r:
Although the blinking ones annoy even me :wacko:

#18 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 22:00

We are perhaps underestimating the efficacy of lolcats in response to terrible posters.
OK
bed

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-07, 00:27

View PostVampyr, on 2011-October-06, 21:19, said:

Maybe or maybe not. Recently hrothgar called me "you loathesome diseased cunt", and I do not believe that he would address a stranger, or indeed anyone, that way face-to-face.

Well, if you deserve it, you can hardly call it "annoying" :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-October-07, 02:07

View Postnige1, on 2011-October-06, 22:00, said:

For many people, emoticons express feelings almost as effectively as words

For this recipient, emoticons aren't at all effective, because apart from the smiling one I have no idea what any of them mean.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users