• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT opening not always wonderful

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-17, 12:46

Bidding this grand is a piece of cake if you start with 1, but what about 1NT opening?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-17, 13:36

This hand is too good for 1N.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-September-17, 14:18

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-17, 13:36, said:

Agreed, and I don't think it's possible for W to find out about E's 6th club or E to find out about W's J, both of which are required after a 1N opener.

We'd have a similar problem, would open 1 and rebid 1N wide range, subsequently being shown as a 3235 17-19.

Auction would go:

1-1
1N(15-bad 19)-2(asking)
3(17-19 5)-3(5 of them)
3N(2)-4
4(KC)-4N(2 w/o Q)
5N(no kings, Q, still interested in grand)-?

Partner is "known" to hold Axx, xx, Axx, AQxxx with no other K but 3-4 other points in / (any 19 of this type would be a good one and opened 2N). The grand can't be much worse than a finesse, and could easily be given away on the lead unless they lead a trump as a heart is unlikely. It also can't be much better than finesse/squeeze unless partner has a sixth club. So I suspect we'd only bid 6N.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-September-17, 14:57

Hey, Cyber: Why can't West pretend his extra club is an outside king with your sequence?

And East won't worry about the heart jack, since he holds it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-17, 15:14

View PostFluffy, on 2011-September-17, 12:46, said:

Bidding this grand is a piece of cake if you start with 1, but what about 1NT opening?

With this holding, Responder is unafraid to "lie" about showing a 6+Ht suit, GF sequence... knowing at least a 5-2 fit :
1NT - 2D!
2H - 3C! ( GF, slammish: either long Hts or real 2-suiter [ 5h/4+c] )
3D!( asks which ) - 3H ( long Ht suit, setting trump; anything other than 3H shows the 2-suiter )
4S!( kickback-RKC for Hts ) - 5H ( 4th step = 2 + hQ )
5S!( K-ask ) - ??
................5NT = sK
................ 6C = cK, no sK
................ 6D = dK, no sK or cK

After - 6C
7H ... Opener is thinking 1s, 6h ( on a 3-2 split if partner has A K Q x x x ) , 1d, 5c ( only 5 if partner has Kx and ruff needed to set up)
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-September-17, 16:39

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-17, 14:57, said:

Hey, Cyber: Why can't West pretend his extra club is an outside king with your sequence?

And East won't worry about the heart jack, since he holds it.

Because he has to cue the outside K over 4N, which one does he pretend to have ? Probably spades is safest, no danger of partner having QJ and thinking this is lots of tricks, not really our style. If partner is looking at the K this will probably confuse him.

I would add W pretty much knows from our sequence that partner only has 3 clubs, so the grand needs quite a lot else.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-September-17, 16:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-September-17, 16:39, said:

I would add W pretty much knows from our sequence that partner only has 3 clubs, so the grand needs quite a lot else.

West is not the one doing the thinking, here. East can count 5+5+2+1 if West lies about the extra king, yet 6+5+1+1 is what he will find.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-September-17, 17:16

Agree with Phil: too strong to open 1NT.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-September-18, 04:23

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-17, 16:45, said:

West is not the one doing the thinking, here. East can count 5+5+2+1 if West lies about the extra king, yet 6+5+1+1 is what he will find.

Yes it works on this hand, but it will get you to some grands on a finesse on others. If partner who "knows" you're 3235 has a doubleton spade and banks on the third round spade ruff for 13 for example.

#10 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-September-18, 06:40

This is a useful lesson:

Opening 1NT makes it very hard to find a slam in opener's long minor. You should keep this in mind when opening 1NT with a 6-card minor. Of course if partner is a passed hand, this problem is gone.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-18, 07:31

Move one of West's clubs to another suit and 6 is still on. Granted, no grand, but bidding 6 with a confidence that is commensurate with its chances of making is not trivial to find after 1N, or is it?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-18, 13:52

Why not just open 1C and rebid 3C? Seems perfect for it - the flat shape & poor quality trumps are compensated for by the fact it's just a 5 loser hand not 6.

Talking of losers, given some 15-17 NTs have 7 losers this hand is much too good for 1NT :) But if you open 1NT, I think E can probably punt the small slam in hearts after finding out that W has a max. I'll need a gadget to find out if W has 5 clubs.

ahydra

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-18, 15:08

If I were West it would start 11;2NT, which still isn't a great auction for reaching the grand slam.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-19, 01:00

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-17, 13:36, said:

That's not the point. Take away the spade Q and it's still the same grand with a 1NT opener. If you open that sort of hand 1NT, that is.

In here opening 1NT definitely doesn't help, as the club length is one of the keys for the grand. But seriously, you either have methods to dig out a long minor in opener or you're guessing.

#15 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-19, 01:03

View PostFluffy, on 2011-September-17, 12:46, said:

1c then 2nt np yet

#16 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-September-19, 09:49

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-September-19, 01:00, said:

That's not the point. Take away the spade Q and it's still the same grand with a 1NT opener. If you open that sort of hand 1NT, that is.

In here opening 1NT definitely doesn't help, as the club length is one of the keys for the grand. But seriously, you either have methods to dig out a long minor in opener or you're guessing.

Judging from the threads title it seems Fluffy thinks so. Perhaps a lesson we can take from this is don't open 1N with a hand we'd rebid 3m on.
Getting to a grand seems likely after a 3 rebid but I confess I probably wouldn't even get to 6 if you took away the Q. That's the tax on opening a 6322 14 count with 1N but I'm happy to pay it.
Hi y'all!

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-19, 16:08

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-19, 09:49, said:

I confess I probably wouldn't even get to 6 if you took away the Q. That's the tax on opening a 6322 14 count with 1N but I'm happy to pay it.

Is that because you don't think responder is worth a slam invitation, or because you think Axx 10x Ax AQ8xxx would decline?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-September-19, 17:24

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-19, 16:08, said:

Is that because you don't think responder is worth a slam invitation, or because you think Axx 10x Ax AQ8xxx would decline?

Yes.
Hi y'all!

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-September-19, 17:35

Actually, 1NT opening works out fine, but IF...

I kind of like a transfer followed by 3 as a "might be clubs, might be waqiting" call. The idea is to bid this way with slammish hands like this, to possibly agree hearts before a last-resort quantitative 4NT, with cuebids and RKCB if hearts are agreed. You also get the chance to find a 5-3 fit in the other major when that is right. Both goals work perfectly in this auction.

The 3 call also allows Opener to "agree clubs" tentatively by bidding 3.

1NT-2
2-3!

(3 = clubs tentatively agreed; 3 = hearts agreed, cues and serious 3NT and Last Train and RKCB enabled; 3 = five spades)

On this deal, however, Opener will be quite enamored by this 3 call and will do much more than simply to "tentatively agree" clubs. Instead, he can venture into the four-level to "super-accept" clubs. This hand clearly qualifies. A 4 cue (two of the top three honors and long clubs) works. Responder can then use simple kickback 4 to discover the two side Aces and can count 12 tricks. A 5 grand move (Kings) will sooner or later get this to the grand.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-20, 06:53

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-September-19, 17:35, said:

Actually, 1NT opening works out fine, but IF...

I kind of like a transfer followed by 3 as a "might be clubs, might be waiting" call. The idea is to bid this way with slammish hands like this, to possibly agree hearts

1NT-2
2-3!

I agree with you on the use of a "multi-3C!" ... since I used it myself in post # 5.

But my followups are different.
Also, I have Opener use key-card...for a number of reasons.. mainly because he is control-rich and has no 2 quick losers when implementing key-card-ask. Afterall, Responder has said he is "slammish".
Also, Opener is the only one who knows about the 6th Club which brings the total to 13 tricks in the absence of the pointy Kings.

In your sequence, employing key-card-ask by Responder violates "asking" w/o knowledge of the two-quick losers in the side suits. And then when he asks for specific Kings, and finds none in Opener's hand, is Opener really going to jump to the grand on only the basis of a 6 card Club suit ? Too speculative IMO .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users