• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redoubling by unlimited hands

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:13

1) What sort of hand do you expect from a competent doubler after the auction 1a P 1b X
1a) Does it make any difference if the b suit is spades?
2) How do most people play XX by opener? I’m a fan of mirroring responders XX bid after 1a X XX – ie extra points and no fit – but maybe that’s too infrequent on this sequence to be worthwhile?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:19

(1) A hand with values and the unbid suits. If fourth seat has length in the unbids without values he can bid 1NT sandwich (if available) or 2NT. It makes no difference what suit b is.

(2) Some play a support redouble in this situation. Assuming it is not a support redouble, the redouble should show extras without a fit (with a fit opener can raise).

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:20

View PostJinksy, on 2011-September-08, 09:13, said:

1) What sort of hand do you expect from a competent doubler after the auction 1a P 1b X
2) How do most people play XX by opener? I’m a fan of mirroring responders XX bid after 1a X XX – ie extra points and no fit – but maybe that’s too infrequent on this sequence to be worthwhile?

If you play support doubles, playing redouble as support can be useful, tho it's not as useful as the basic support double.

If not playing support redoubles, then playing the redouble as significant extras, without primary support for partner's suit is uesful since it sets the stage for a possible penalty double. If you play weak notrump, then the redouble can be a strong 1N or better: if you play strong 1N, then the 15-17 balanced hand doesn't exist, so presumably you have a better hand, which tends to reduce the bid's frequency.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:53

View Postmikeh, on 2011-September-08, 09:20, said:

if you play strong 1N, then the 15-17 balanced hand doesn't exist, so presumably you have a better hand, which tends to reduce the bid's frequency.

18-19 balanced and chose to hang around for penalty rather than rebid 2NT? I certainly agree that would be infrequent. Perhaps more frequent and useful would be unbalanced in the form of stiff or void in pard's responding suit (but 15+). Penalty oriented, of course; but more "informative" in nature.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   affe82 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-08, 11:11

I prefer support redoubles here. useful, especially since raise will show 4c sup.
We also allow the more infrequent really strong hand w/o support in redouble.
So, XX = a)interpreted as 3c sup for responder for competing purposes (frequent) b) a monster that will bid again (rare).

#6 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-09, 02:46

View PostJinksy, on 2011-September-08, 09:13, said:

2) How do most people play XX by opener? I'm a fan of mirroring responders XX bid after 1a X XX – ie extra points and no fit – but maybe that's too infrequent on this sequence to be worthwhile?

1)Shows values, at least 8-10 HCP (pending vul) in the unbid suits at least 4-4, not very distributional (5-5 or better is 1NT/cue/2NT - depending on agreements).
1a) If a is minor and b is spades, 5 card hearts is a real possibility, while if a is minor and b is hearts, 5 card spade is rare.
2) XX is3 card support, and 1NT (or any other bid) denies 3 cards in the responders suit. Some play it as support for b if b is major, and general extra on 1-P-1-X.

Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-September-10, 03:53

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-08, 09:53, said:

18-19 balanced and chose to hang around for penalty rather than rebid 2NT? I certainly agree that would be infrequent. Perhaps more frequent and useful would be unbalanced in the form of stiff or void in pard's responding suit (but 15+). Penalty oriented, of course; but more "informative" in nature.

We had another thread recently about this.
If you play redouble as strong, then that frees up 2NT as artificial for example as a strong raise of partner's suit.
(and it's handy to play 1NT as 3-card support, rather than redouble)

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-10, 05:04

I play supp XXs in all my partnerships, mainly because I play strong club with my serious partners. Supp XXs are extremely common, I would assume them if we just agreed 2/1 udca, etc.

If you play XX as strong, then I would suggest using reverses as artificial also. EG: 1C p 1H X 2D = 3 card raise, 2N=strong 4 card raise, etc. If you have 2 reverses, play the lower one as a 3 card raise with 6 clubs.

As for what I expect from the double, it depends if they play sandwich NT. If not I think it can be quite a bit lighter than an opening bid if they're 5-5 and don't have a good hand to bid 2N, something like x Kxxxx KQxxx xx vul is fine for X to me. They can also be 5-4 with as little as a 10 count or so, or 4-4 with about an opening hand as a min. Form of game/vul, matters. It only matters if it's 1S in that they can often have 5 hearts, over 1C p 1H they will not have 5 spades that often. I guess the most marginal decision theoretically possible might pass spades but bid over hearts since its a bit safer, but it rarely if ever impacts my decision.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users