Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament Substitute Issue Situations When BBO Removes Sub

#1 User is offline   SSA_15 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-08, 08:57

I have done quite a bit of subbing in tournaments on BBO over the past few months and have experienced two puzzling situations, always in a tournament with an entry fee with BBO points and/or cash prizes:
Situation 1. I come into a 6 hand tournament after hand two; bid and play the remaining 4 hands and am doing quite well. After completing Hand 6, I was (as usual) automatically moved to the lobby. Message pops up that the original player has returned and that I am no longer part of the tournment. I did all the work. What is the rule for subs in this situation. At what point does the original play lose his seat?
Situation 2. Again in a paying tournment and ALWAYS when I am doing well: while playing the very last board I receive a message that I am no longer playing in the tournment, no explanation provided. Why?
I have no idea what is going on here: Software glitch? Someone replacing me with a friend to reap the rewards of my work?
Could someone please clarify what subs should expect. If you look at my completion rate, it is relatively high. I sub fully understanding that I can't chose my partner and may not complete the game. But the two situations described above are very discouraging.

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:38

I don't see the problem. You chose to substitute and you got to play. What else do you want?

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:49

View PostSSA_15, on 2011-September-08, 08:57, said:

I have done quite a bit of subbing in tournaments on BBO over the past few months and have experienced two puzzling situations, always in a tournament with an entry fee with BBO points and/or cash prizes:
Situation 1. I come into a 6 hand tournament after hand two; bid and play the remaining 4 hands and am doing quite well. After completing Hand 6, I was (as usual) automatically moved to the lobby. Message pops up that the original player has returned and that I am no longer part of the tournment. I did all the work. What is the rule for subs in this situation. At what point does the original play lose his seat?
Situation 2. Again in a paying tournment and ALWAYS when I am doing well: while playing the very last board I receive a message that I am no longer playing in the tournment, no explanation provided. Why?
I have no idea what is going on here: Software glitch? Someone replacing me with a friend to reap the rewards of my work?
Could someone please clarify what subs should expect. If you look at my completion rate, it is relatively high. I sub fully understanding that I can't chose my partner and may not complete the game. But the two situations described above are very discouraging.

In pay tournaments, if the original player returns while the game is still in progress the TD will always reseat that player. Most of the times the substitution is automatic, but TDs can reseat manually too if necessary. I am pretty sure that no TD watches a sub's performance and if that sub is doing very well he replaces them with a friend just as the game ends. The TDs are very busy usually, they have no time to monitor individual performance. However if you strongly feel this is the case you can file a complaint to the Club Manager. It's up to the Club to decide how they use subs and how they run their tournaments.

If you wish to join and stay till the end, you can sub in free tournaments instead. The subs are almost never replaced there

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-08, 10:04

if you are more likely to be replaced when doing well it might be because the original player is more likely to return when he had a good partner.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   SSA_15 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-08, 11:07

Thank you, diana-eva, for the clarification.

#6 User is offline   SSA_15 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-08, 11:15

BTW, I sub in any tournament, both free and fee, whichever pops up first. I don't preselect the tournaments. Most of those I end up subbing for are free since original players seem to bolt more often.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users