Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO on a Tablet Are there any that work with BBO

#1 User is offline   rivlinj 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-01, 03:28

Hi - I'm dedicated to BBO and I'd love to be able to travel, taking a tablet - almost any tablet - that has the proper software (Flash?) installed that will let me play on BBO as I do normally - online or downloaded version - either is fine. I've read lots of technical detail but really have not been able to cull out of all that a straight forward solution. Which tablet, if any, can I buy that will run BBO?
Thanks rivlinj

#2 User is offline   reistad 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-08, 08:32

After reading your post, I decided to test out BBO on my newly acquired Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android 3.1.

I started up the flash client ( http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php).

Login:
The login screen is a little messy, because the password field doesn't show the number of characters you have written.
Your best bet is to push backspace a number of times until you're sure all characters are deleted, then type your password and check 'remember password'.

Home screen:
The home screen is a bit cramped in landscape mode; the chat doesn't quite fit near the bottom, but it can be re-sized easily.
I prefer using landscape, however you can easily turn the tab 90degrees and run in portrait mode.
In portrait mode alot of space is wasted in the middle of the screen, and every icon becomes a bit smaller.

Navigating:
Navigating the menus works great. The program doesn't cover the whole screen, and I haven't figured out how to run it in full screen.

The playing experience:
Works well for the most part. I prefer using pictures of cards(as opposed to numbers).
Selecting cards works decently, I expect your misclick rate will go up. This is the area which can be improved the most.
Every function seems to work well. Bidding, claiming etc. However, the bidding box icons could be enlarged to avoid misclicks.

There's a double-click zoom. When you double-click somewhere on the table it re-sizes. I haven't understood how to make work correctly, though.

Chatting at the table:
Selecting the text field, the virtual keyboard will pop up. This may take a few seconds.
Having pushed your message and Enter, you will have push the back arrow to get back to play mode. Room for minor improvement here.

Final words:
Works well generally. A bit more cumbersome than your regular PC-experience. Expect small hangs and pauses. Room for improvement in sizes of cards and the bidding box.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-08, 09:17

View Postreistad, on 2011-August-08, 08:32, said:

After reading your post, I decided to test out BBO on my newly acquired Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android 3.1.

I started up the flash client ( http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php).

Login:
The login screen is a little messy, because the password field doesn't show the number of characters you have written.
Your best bet is to push backspace a number of times until you're sure all characters are deleted, then type your password and check 'remember password'.

Home screen:
The home screen is a bit cramped in landscape mode; the chat doesn't quite fit near the bottom, but it can be re-sized easily.
I prefer using landscape, however you can easily turn the tab 90degrees and run in portrait mode.
In portrait mode alot of space is wasted in the middle of the screen, and every icon becomes a bit smaller.

Navigating:
Navigating the menus works great. The program doesn't cover the whole screen, and I haven't figured out how to run it in full screen.

The playing experience:
Works well for the most part. I prefer using pictures of cards(as opposed to numbers).
Selecting cards works decently, I expect your misclick rate will go up. This is the area which can be improved the most.
Every function seems to work well. Bidding, claiming etc. However, the bidding box icons could be enlarged to avoid misclicks.

There's a double-click zoom. When you double-click somewhere on the table it re-sizes. I haven't understood how to make work correctly, though.

Chatting at the table:
Selecting the text field, the virtual keyboard will pop up. This may take a few seconds.
Having pushed your message and Enter, you will have push the back arrow to get back to play mode. Room for minor improvement here.

Final words:
Works well generally. A bit more cumbersome than your regular PC-experience. Expect small hangs and pauses. Room for improvement in sizes of cards and the bidding box.

Welcome to the Forums, Reistad :)

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review.

#4 User is offline   catch22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-12, 08:10

I've tried running the client on an eee pad (android os) with mixed results.

Login is a problem as the password field only seems to display one character, but you can eventually get the password in and if you remember it then login is easy.

I've had a lot of problems with the tabs, some work (chat, my results), others won,t work for me (hosts, friends) and the tabs on the Main Bridge Club (Full tables, friends)

You can get to full screen by holding your finger on the app and then clicking the resize button that appears

I also had a problem with vugraph commentary which randomly crashed the client. Not sure if this is a flash on android issue or a general problem.

John

#5 User is offline   hecate138 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-23, 07:40

View Postcatch22, on 2011-August-12, 08:10, said:

I've tried running the client on an eee pad (android os) with mixed results.

Login is a problem as the password field only seems to display one character, but you can eventually get the password in and if you remember it then login is easy.

I've had a lot of problems with the tabs, some work (chat, my results), others won,t work for me (hosts, friends) and the tabs on the Main Bridge Club (Full tables, friends)

You can get to full screen by holding your finger on the app and then clicking the resize button that appears

I also had a problem with vugraph commentary which randomly crashed the client. Not sure if this is a flash on android issue or a general problem.

John

#6 User is offline   hecate138 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-23, 07:41

What is an eee pad? Is that Asus? I want to buy this tablet to play BB..are we talking about the same tablet?

Thank You

#7 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 11:05

You can run BBO on an iPad using iSwifter as noted here: http://www.bridgebas...ad/page__st__20

#8 User is offline   goodcats 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-04, 08:12

Help! I bought an eee pad as I had read somewhere on the net that it would run after installing Flash. I installed Flash and am now stuck. While I can type in my name, the keyboard only takes one character for the password. Anyone have any idea on how to correct this? I'm a bit desperate as I only bought the eee pad to be able to use it during upcoming chemo. Thanks!

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-04, 11:20

When I travel I have an iPad and I installled Swifter. Its horrible, but its better than nothing.

- when I have a so-so connection, Swifter frequently crashes. I do not have 4G, and have to use wifi.
- For some reason, I cannot connect directly through the main Swifter page. I usually have to go through one of their (proxy?) sites like Wired.com, and then put in the bridgebase address.
- Kibitzing and chatting is tolerable. Playing is hopeless.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   A_Wolff 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-13, 05:50

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-04, 11:20, said:

When I travel I have an iPad and I installled Swifter. Its horrible, but its better than nothing.

- when I have a so-so connection, Swifter frequently crashes. I do not have 4G, and have to use wifi.
- For some reason, I cannot connect directly through the main Swifter page. I usually have to go through one of their (proxy?) sites like Wired.com, and then put in the bridgebase address.
- Kibitzing and chatting is tolerable. Playing is hopeless.

I installed iSwifter too on my iPad and made a bookmark to the BBO login screen.

Playing now goes reasonable well, but I use a stylus pen to select the cards.

I tried too AlwaysOnPC, but that is much too slow.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users