• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4Sx'd

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-17, 11:50

I watched an interesting 3 (ignore the title - I'm not 100% sure about the bidding either - I'll look it up) hand from the European Juniors last week. I could be wrong, but I believe this was in the France / Greece match:

The defense started with AK and a 3rd club, declarer pitching a heart. The 9 saw RHO show out, not unexpectedly and LHO ducked. Obviously if LHO wins, dummy can take the force on the 4th club.

Declarer led the J, again ducked - the defense playing a patient game. Declarer played a diamond to hand and led a heart up which LHO flew ace and exited a heart to the King wich left this position:

How would you continue from here, needing 3 of the last four tricks?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-17, 17:37

West has Kxx and two other cards.

I can't make if West has no diamonds: On a diamond lead, West ruffs low and later scores K. On a spade to the 10, West will be able to tap me. On a spade to the A, if a diamond next West gets a low ruff, and on a spade next West can tap me. On a heart lead ruffed in hand, West follows or pitches, and then see above for diamond/spade lead next.

Assuming West has a diamond, I can make: Cash A, then ruff a heart. If West follows/pitches, I exit a diamond. If West ruffs in with K, he's down to xx and one more card. I now ruff the next lead in dummy (or win it, in the unlikely case it's a diamond).

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-18, 08:54

Yes, cashing the A is right followed by a heart ruff and this is what the actual declarer did. LHO's actual shape was 5224, and he was Kxx=0=0=1 in the endgame.

Note that this line also works if LHO is 5233.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users