BBO Discussion Forums: Eliminate hesitation on singleton play by SW - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eliminate hesitation on singleton play by SW Eliminate illegal/unethical/annoying coffeehousing

#1 User is offline   hotmath 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-04, 20:00

My suggestion is that when a player has a singleton and doesn't play it with N seconds (2?) then the software plays it automatically. The other players at the table will not be informed.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-04, 22:21

View Posthotmath, on 2012-July-04, 20:00, said:

My suggestion is that when a player has a singleton and doesn't play it with N seconds (2?) then the software plays it automatically. The other players at the table will not be informed.

Bad idea.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 23:19

Can't you only look at the previous trick until you play to the next one? Apart from anything else, this would need to be catered for.

#4 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-July-04, 23:43

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-July-04, 22:21, said:

Bad idea.

Yah, the biggest problem is it means that any card played after period N cannot be a singleton.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-05, 13:47

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-July-04, 23:43, said:

Yah, the biggest problem is it means that any card played after period N cannot be a singleton.

Isn't that true in f2f bridge, too, since you're not supposed to hesitate unnecessarily with a singleton? There's no precise N, but you can usually tell when someone is making a decision.

Anyway, BBO already has the "Autoplay singletons" option. I believe it uses a random delay in the 1-2 second area (the original implementation played instantaneously, and everyone could tell an autoplay), unless you're playing with all robots.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-July-05, 14:26

View Postbarmar, on 2012-July-05, 13:47, said:

Isn't that true in f2f bridge, too, since you're not supposed to hesitate unnecessarily with a singleton?

This problem is solvable even though the laws forum inhabitants cannot agree on what the correct solution is.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   sandip2010 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-07, 09:36

View Posthotmath, on 2012-July-04, 20:00, said:

Everybody on the table knows that I played a singleton because the software plays it too fast ( v 5.2.21). I should have the option of choosing the delay suitable to my own playing speed.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-07, 14:18

View Postsandip2010, on 2012-July-07, 09:36, said:

Everybody on the table knows that I played a singleton because the software plays it too fast ( v 5.2.21). I should have the option of choosing the delay suitable to my own playing speed.

This is fixed in the new version (aka web version) -- it adds a random delay of around a second. It's not going to be fixed in the old version, since we stopped making changes to it years ago.

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-07, 15:21

Barmar, how about a "autoplay singleton vs robots only" option? I turn it on vs them to save time in the robot races, but then I forget it's on and it whips out some singleton when I'm playing with people.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-07, 15:38

It doesn't "whip out" when I'm playing with people. When I'm playing with people, I frequently click on the card before autoplay plays it for me. We think the delay should make it hard for people to tell that it's being played automatically.

You're using the new version, right? As I keep saying, the delay is only in the web version, and we're not touching the download version any more. So even if we added the "autoplay only against robots" option, it would also only be in the new version.

#11 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-07, 15:42

I use the web version and it seems to me that it whips out instantly, unless something was updated like this week? You must be superman, I couldn't possibly click the card before it plays.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-07, 16:01

The change was made almost 2 years ago (September 2010). See http://www.bridgebas...-of-singletons/

I just tried it. I started a MBC table with my two logins North and South, and robots East and West. When I had singletons to play, it paused 0.5-1 second, and I could have easily clicked on them if I wanted.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users