• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Story of a slam bidding hand..

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-27, 05:05

This hand is played in a team game of expert players in NYC. They all play similar treatments i guess so at both tables the auction came to the point you see in diagram. The explenations of bids are given to me as;

2NT* 4+ fit 12+ hcp
3* shortness and can be any strength
3* Likes shortness.

At table one south bids 4NT and recieves a 5 response, and bids 5NT recieves a 6 respond and settles in 6

At the other table, south foresees the problem that if he asks, even when everything is there, he wont be sure of the 3rd round cover cards. He also knows pd is lack of control, therefore decides to skip cue and bids 4 showing a serious slam interest. North keycards and learns that pd has AQ , A and A, asks specific kings and learns K. And easily bids the grand.

I thought this was a cute hand and handled brilliantly by NS, especially South player. What do u guys think, am i missing something ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-27, 06:16

What would 3N be over 3 ?

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-27, 08:44

Interesting.
4H ostensibly denied a Ctrl.
But with the KQ, North didn't hesitate to ask for key cards.
I bet he was surprised to hear partner had the A .

I wonder if he would have asked if he were missing the K ? ( but held points elsewhere for his opening... say the K ). He probably would sign-off in game and miss a makable small slam.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-27, 08:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-May-27, 06:16, said:

What would 3N be over 3 ?

Yep. That would be the perfect situation for 3NT by South to show significant extra values he previously had not been afforded the opportunity to express. North cannot envision any such hand without heart controls, and can just Wood to the grand.

That does not take away from the thoughtfulness of the South player who, without 3NT available, foresaw his problem and allowed North to be in charge by cueing hearts.

By the way: I know Cyberyeti already knows this. Was just clarifying for other readers who might not be aware of the possible use of 3NT in this type of auction. :blink:

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-May-27, 08:56

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-27, 08:53

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-May-27, 08:44, said:

Interesting.
4H ostensibly denied a Ctrl.
But with the KQ, North didn't hesitate to ask for key cards.
I bet he was surprised to hear partner had the A .

I wonder if he would have asked if he were missing the K ? ( but held points elsewhere for his opening... say the K ). He probably would sign-off in game and miss a makable small slam.

I think the point is that South knew he was having another go if N just bid 4, but he was giving his partner the chance to ask first as that might be the easiest way of finding the grand.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-27, 09:10

When you can show your complete hand by replying to RKCB, it's a good idea to get partner to ask RKCB!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-27, 09:15

View Postcherdano, on 2011-May-27, 09:10, said:

When you can show your complete hand by replying to RKCB, it's a good idea to get partner to ask RKCB!

Or even devise a system where you 'respond' to RKC without partner asking.

Why is North bidding 3? Isn't 3 obvious?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-27, 09:49

View PostPhil, on 2011-May-27, 09:15, said:

Why is North bidding 3? Isn't 3 obvious?

Very good question !
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-27, 09:55

So the point is that you shouldn't ask for aces if you don't know what to do with the answer? I'm sure everyone used to understand that, but I agree that many players today seem not to know it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-27, 10:50

I would bid 2D with north's hand. The rest is usually simple:
1S 2D
2H 2S
3D(now the pattern is clear) 3S(4 or more spades)
4C(serious slam try) 4D(cue)
4H(cue) 4N(RKC)

If you go 4N after 4D, it is also not too difficult for north to know how valuable his DKQ is after south tell him they have all KC and HK.
Usually, 2/1 is a better choice than J2NT when you hold a reasonable side suit, because 2/1 often offers your more information at low levels.

View PostMrAce, on 2011-May-27, 05:05, said:

This hand is played in a team game of expert players in NYC. They all play similar treatments i guess so at both tables the auction came to the point you see in diagram. The explenations of bids are given to me as;

2NT* 4+ fit 12+ hcp
3* shortness and can be any strength
3* Likes shortness.

At table one south bids 4NT and recieves a 5 response, and bids 5NT recieves a 6 respond and settles in 6

At the other table, south foresees the problem that if he asks, even when everything is there, he wont be sure of the 3rd round cover cards. He also knows pd is lack of control, therefore decides to skip cue and bids 4 showing a serious slam interest. North keycards and learns that pd has AQ , A and A, asks specific kings and learns K. And easily bids the grand.

I thought this was a cute hand and handled brilliantly by NS, especially South player. What do u guys think, am i missing something ?

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-May-27, 11:02

I also would start with 2 (because I hate Jacoby 2NT and reserve that for hands with all primes outside), but my approach would not be pattern but rather controls:

1-2
2-2(spades agreed)
3(club honor or shortness control, two of the top three spades)-3(two of the top three diamonds)
3(two of the top three hearts)-3(we have all three top spades)
3NT(contextually serious)-4(complimentary club control)
4(one of the top three diamonds)

At this point, South is known by North to have AQxxx or better in diamonds, two top hearts, the diamond Ace, the club stiff or singleton, and serious slak interest. Because 4 diurectly, instead of 3NT...4, would have also shown much of this, Opener is known to really like his hand.

The partnership is also known to have all three top spades and all three top diamonds.

In clubs, the combination COULD be stiff-opposite-King from Opener's perspective, but Responder knows that the partnership has both first and second-round control in clubs. With the known 5-4 or better in the majors, Responder also knows that no minor losers are possible. No spade losers are likely (especially looking at the 10). Only one heart loser is possible.

The sole question is the quality of Opener's hearts. RKCB solves that easily.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-May-27, 12:31

I am not advocating that their methods are good (or bad for that matter) But the cool thing about it was both NS were using the same methods upto 3. 3 bid was explained to me as "likes shortness" so perhaps 3 insstead of 3 would be asking something else i suppose, idk.

As for the question what 3 NT would be, i think it would be "unserious 3NT" since 4 was explained as "serious cue"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-May-27, 13:49

I am not advocating the start of:

1S 2N
3C 3S
4N

However, this should have been fine. After the answer, 5H, 5N, 6D, south has an easy bid: 6H. Now north will bid 7 with both the DQ and the doubleton heart as what else could south have besides the HK? Without the HK, south would just bid 6S, since with the HK and DKQ, north can bid 7 himself over 5N. 6S was by far the worst bid of the auction.

People rip on keycard a ton but it is a very powerful convention, especially for bidding grands. I never seem to see expert pairs cuebidding their way delicately to grands, this leaves a huge margin of error and interpretation for everything.

If your hand is all keycards, you can often show your hand by bidding keycard as well. For instance, 4N then 5N, you have now described your A A A and the spade queen. If south had bid 6H, the only thing left for him to have for that bid would be the HK. I suppose it's possible he has AKQ of hearts and is just looking for 7 opposite the DQ, so it is not 100 % clear, but with that hand he can probably bid 7 himself and hope for the best after partner says he "likes club shortness." His exact shape would be pretty unknown, but it would be also if answering keycard. To me there is not a huge difference with that sequence and answering keycard then showing the HK.

Obv there are better starts to the auction but I imagine most auctions would end with south bidding keycard before bidding the grand, ie:

1S 2N
3C 3D
3H 3S
3N 4C
4N 5S
5N 6D
6H 7S

Where 6D now shows the KQ of diamonds so 6H is clearly just looking for 3rd round heart control.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-May-27, 14:00

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-May-27, 13:49, said:

1S 2N
3C 3S
4N

However, this should have been fine. After the answer, 5H, 5N, 6D, south has an easy bid: 6H....

Justin, when they gave me this hand, i bid EXACTLY as you suggested, i bid 4 NT and then 5 nt and 6 over 6, and i am told that then pd bids 6, i said "then i pass". I am told 6 here asks K, since 6 did not refuse K. Which i thought it did because with both red Kings i wld think N should bid 7 after 5 NT.

Also here is a treatment that i like for specific Kings, and this works very good when trump is

5NT---6 = K or other 2 kings, 6=K or other 2kings, 6 = K or other 2 kings

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-May-28, 09:59

I never seem to see expert pairs cuebidding their way delicately to grands, this leaves a huge margin of error and interpretation for everything.

I agree with your post, but I thought this was intriguing. The fact that many experts still seem to not agree on principles for cuebidding that avert any reasonable mergin of error and where interpretation is not difficult disappoints me immensely.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-28, 10:33

People rip on keycard a ton but it is a very powerful convention, especially for bidding grands. I never seem to see expert pairs cuebidding their way delicately to grands, this leaves a huge margin of error and interpretation for everything.

The cirticism is (or should be) of the misuse of Keycard, rather than the convention itself. If you cue-bid first- and second-round controls indiscriminately, Keycard is often essential just to establish that you have sufficient key cards.

What your expert pairs should be doing is delicately cue-bidding to establish that they have the wherewithal to make a slam, then indelicately bidding Keycard to confirm that the opponents don't have the wherewithal to beat it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-28, 11:34

Is this a function of expert pairs being too preoccupied with other things to make this a priority?

Or is it because there just isn't a consensus of what a high level cue bid shows or denies?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-28, 11:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-27, 08:46, said:

Yep. That would be the perfect situation for 3NT by South to show significant extra values he previously had not been afforded the opportunity to express. North cannot envision any such hand without heart controls, and can just Wood to the grand.

That does not take away from the thoughtfulness of the South player who, without 3NT available, foresaw his problem and allowed North to be in charge by cueing hearts.

By the way: I know Cyberyeti already knows this. Was just clarifying for other readers who might not be aware of the possible use of 3NT in this type of auction. :blink:

By the way, while I was reasonably sure what most US experts would use 3N for, I don't.

3N is the most expensive cue for us and here shows extra values and a heart control which is also useful :)

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-28, 12:53

View PostPhil, on 2011-May-28, 11:34, said:

Is this a function of expert pairs being too preoccupied with other things to make this a priority?

Or is it because there just isn't a consensus of what a high level cue bid shows or denies?

Maybe it's partly because they no longer have 5NT available as GSF? If 4NT is your last chance to check for a trump loser, that's a good reason to bid it.

#20 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-28, 12:59

What do you think 5NT is in a cuebidding auction? We play it as "no further cuebids but still interested in 7", which means more than minimal strength in the trump suit. If I have bid the trump suit and partner has supported, then my 5NT says I have 2+ top honors there, and partner's 5NT shows he has 1+ top honor there.

Well, that's in theory. In practice we always bid blackwood. ;)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users