Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sympathies to those in Japan The aftermath of the Earthquake/Tsuanami

#1 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-11, 12:22

May I through this Discussion forum send out my deepest sympathies and Heartfelt commiserations to all thoseout in the affected areas in Japan :(

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-March-11, 12:43

Same here. Constance's brother and his family live in Tokyo, and we haven't heard from them yet about how the quake affected them.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-March-11, 12:58

My daughter came into our room at midnight and told me. It looks horrible and the best we can hope for is that the casualties come in lower than expected. Our thoughts and prayers are directed to the other side of the pacific.

6,500 miles away the harbor area in Dana Point, CA is closed because of a tsunami warning so the afternoon duplicate I run might be canceled.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 14:35

Words fail me in such a time. May they, together and with help and compassion, do as best they can.
Ken

#5 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-March-11, 16:54

prayers have gone and continue to go to them
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#6 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 17:40

We're relieved that all of our relatives in Japan are okay. They are pretty busy now helping friends. But what a terrible disaster!
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-March-12, 04:13

I talked to some colleagues in Tokyo and everything seems to be in order there. Mitsubishi organized food and beds for its employees last night and today public transport is working again.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#8 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-12, 07:49

View PostGerben42, on 2011-March-12, 04:13, said:

I talked to some colleagues in Tokyo and everything seems to be in order there. Mitsubishi organized food and beds for its employees last night and today public transport is working again.

Yes. My sister-in-law Keiko was shopping in Tokyo with a friend when the quake hit and it took a long time for them to get home, but it's better now. Mark said that in Tokyo the quake felt to him like about 5.0 because of the distance from the epicenter. Things fell from the walls and broke, but no serious damage for them. However, one family friend has a clothing business (a family business for several generations) that was swept away by the tsunami. They are all mourning the loss of life, and are very concerned about the damaged nuclear power plants.

#9 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-14, 10:41

Quake Moves Japan Closer to U.S. and Alters Earth’s Spin

Global positioning stations closest to the epicenter jumped eastward by up to 13 feet.

Japan is “wider than it was before,” said Ross Stein, a geophysicist at the United States Geological Survey.

Meanwhile, NASA scientists calculated that the redistribution of mass by the earthquake might have shortened the day by a couple of millionths of a second and tilted the Earth’s axis slightly.

And a long stretch of the coastline dropped two feet, increasing the devastation of the tsunami.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-14, 11:24

a couple millionths of a second.... I am quite sure that jumping on my bed also changes earth's orbit slightly, but it won't be noticed also.

#11 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-March-15, 16:01

http://www.newscient...uake-diary.html

This is written by a BBOer living in Japan.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users