• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 4S

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-March-09, 10:33

You catch a nice dummy for your aggressive 4 call (its matchpoints). LHO leads out the AK. RHO does not peter, and LHO shifts to the 2. No matter where you win this, RHO plays the 8.

10 tricks are easy with 3-2 splits in the black suits. Can you give yourself a chance against a less favorable breaks?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 10:49

I think best start is Q, A then to the king. LHO has more diamonds so he has less clubs on average and I want to protect him from being singleton.

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 17:55

LHO has more diamonds so he has less clubs on average and I want to protect him from being singleton.

I think it's much more likely that RHO has stiff club.
First LHO would almost often lead or switch to his stiff club because on many layout he is only looking at 9-12pc and can well think partner has one of the black aces for quick set.
The reason for him not leading stiff club could be also that it's stiff honour. In that case we will be able to use our 9 to hook RHO's HH.
I am starting with K and if H doesn't fall on the left I am playing club to the ace. If RHO shows out I am ruffing diamond, drawing 3 round of trumps and exiting with my last club endplaying him either to lead into my AQ or to set up club suit.
If H falls on the left to K I will take 3 round of trumps ending in dummy and hook the club.

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-March-09, 19:12

I agree that RHO is more likely to have the stiff club, because with many hands (like 4-3-5-1 shape), LHO would have started with a takeout double rather than 1D.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-10, 18:06

Didn't partner notice that he had a nice dummy for you?

It seems awkward to cope with either 4-1 club break, unless we take a heart finesse. For example, if we win in dummy, play K, A (RHO discarding a diamond), club, LHO plays another trump and we're in a mess.

We can cater for spades 4-1: win in dummy, duck a club, win the return, ruff a red card if necessary, and draw trumps. I'd do that.

No doubt I'll wake up tomorrow and find that Rainer has posted a line that caters for everything.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users