#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-March-11, 10:28

A funny hand from last night.

I was dealt A x Qxx AK10xxxxx

RHO opened 2, and 3 seemed to stand out. My clubs seemed good enough.

LHO then bid 3, and partner, as expected, introduced spades -- 3. This was passed (with some hesitation) to me.

I decided that the Qxx in diamonds might just be enough, and the clubs might just come in, so 3NT was my gamble. LHO passed, and partner bid 4, again, not entirely unexpected.

Pass to me.

Now, I started imagining layouts.

If partner has asz little as xxxxx AKxxx x xx, or Kxxxx Axxxx x xx, or something with a void in diamonds, I just might make 6. I didn't expect any call in this new partnership to result in me playing clubs unless I leaped to 6. So, all in!

This was passed out. The opening lead was the heart Ace, and partner tabled xxxxxx KQJxxx void x. RHO SHOWED OUT on the first heart!!! The club Queen next hit the table, and I was doomed to lose three diamonds, the heart Ace, and another club (8-1-1-3 split).

Sick.

However, my result was a top. Why?

Earlier in the evening, everyone eventually getting to this hand faced this problem with in the North seat. Dealt was void Kxx AKQxx AKQxx, fourth seat, red on white. After two passes, your RHO opens a strong 2 (?!?!?!). Smelling a rat, with no clear direction, some doubled. At our table, the auction went:

P-P-2-X
2-3-3-5
P-P-5-6
P-P-6-X-all pass

The opening diamond lead was ruffed. Declarer went to dummy's stiff spade and ruffed a club back, pulled trumps, and then gave up the heart King for making six, doubled.

So, whereas everyone in 5 was doubled, down 800, my 6 call was not doubled -- the opponents smelled a rat!
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 12:11

Are you talking about the same hand or a different hand? If it's the same hand, your hand and the North hand both contain AK amongst other things. If it's 2 separate hands, why would it ever make any MP difference to your board?
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-March-11, 12:46

because people are non-markovian and they smelled a rat.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users