• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

old movies

#41 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:49

Footnote to The Lady Eve which was mentioned earlier: I saw Jane Fonda on Charlie Rose recently. Somehow, the topic of Barbara Stanwyck and the possibility that she and Henry Fonda had an affair came up. "I don't know", said Jane. "I hope so. I really hope so." That is the most generous comment I've ever heard anyone make about one of their parents in this context.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#42 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 15:19

View Posty66, on 2014-March-23, 14:49, said:

Footnote to The Lady Eve which was mentioned earlier: I saw Jane Fonda on Charlie Rose recently. Somehow, the topic of Barbara Stanwyck and the possibility that she and Henry Fonda had an affair came up. "I don't know", said Jane. "I hope so. I really hope so." That is the most generous comment I've ever heard anyone make about one of their parents in this context.

I don't follow the celebs all that much but it was my understanding that both the distance and the (perhaps limited) coming together portrayed in On Golden Pond had some real life correspondence to it. I like to think so anyway.

I think of Barbara Stanwyck as a force of nature. Again, I am no expert on lives of movie stars, but everything I have ever heard leads me to believe she had a great deal of personal strength.

Added: Upon reflection, it occurs to me that I could never make my living as an interviewer. I am not asking a woman about her father's alleged relationships with other women. Not privately, not on tv. Here's the mike, you ask. I am not asking the son, either. Probably the questions were vetted. Still.
Ken

#43 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-March-23, 18:58

You're right about the real life parallels in On Golden Pond. There's a scene in there in which the Jane character says to the Henry character "I want to be your friend" that was pretty wrenching. When they talked about it later over dinner she came away thinking that nothing had changed between them in real life. Not so apparently. He is on record as saying (not to Jane) "I am not a religious man but I thank God every morning that I have lived long enough to play this role." I don't think he said that just because he won his only Oscar for that role.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#44 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-23, 20:21

I hadn't heard that before. I like it.
Ken

#45 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-02, 08:26

I saw Babette's Feast for the first time last night. I thought it sounded stupid when I first heard about it many years ago. Boy was I wrong!! My feeling when it was over was that I wanted to call the writer and the director to express my thanks for such a stunning movie. Becky agrees completely. It is a movie that does not remotely remind me of any other movie that I have seen, and I have seen a great many. I highly recommend it.
Ken

#46 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-April-03, 19:01

Posted Image

Stéphane Audran as Babette Hersant in a scene from "Babette's Feast". Photo: Orion Classics, via Photofest.

Gen. Lorens Löwenhielm: "Because of this evening, I have learned, my dear, that in this beautiful world of ours, all things are possible."

#47 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-03, 20:04

An echo from his earlier "I have learned that in this world some things are not possible." (quote approximate)
Ken

#48 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 17:01

Last weekend I did something like a private retrospective of movies directed by Jean-Pierre Melville [from end of the 60's] Classic police thrillers like "The Samurai", The Red Circle", "Dirty Money"......, good old french style movies, with A. Delon, Y. Montand. Bourvil or L. Ventura......always worth to watch...
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#49 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-28, 19:48

I just finished watching The Gunfighter with gregory Peck in the title. role. I highly recommend it.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and found

The film was nominated for a WGA Award for Best Written American Western. Writing for The New York Times, Bosley Crowther noted in his June 24, 1950 review: "The addicts of Western fiction may find themselves rubbing their eyes and sitting up fast to take notice before five minutes have gone by in Twentieth Century Fox's The Gunfighter, which came to the Roxy yesterday. For suddenly they will discover that they are not keeping company with the usual sort of hero of the commonplace Western at all. Suddenly, indeed, they will discover that they are in the exciting presence of one of the most fascinating Western heroes as ever looked down a six-shooter's barrel."[

I agree with that assessment.

I have some vague feeling that I saw this when I was young. Could be. At any rate, I recommend it.
Ken

#50 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-May-07, 15:39

Saw Picnic today, courtesy of kenberg's recommendation. I must say I enjoyed it a lot! It seems the film managed to convey a lot of feelings that were just below the surface without being too obvious, for the most part.

I tried watching A Tree Grows in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, too. I will try again when I'm a bit older and more patient, I guess.

Next up will be Rebel Without a Cause and Long, Hot Summer.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#51 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-May-08, 05:26

I'm glad you enjoyed Picnic. The themes perhaps were somewhat "of the 50s" but well done, I think. I knew more than one girl who was very attractive and very fed up with being defined by her good looks. I remember one saying to me "Not that I would wish it away but ." . She went on to the University of Chicago and I lost touch with her. I expect my wife would object to me getting in touch with her. And of course there is the corresponding problem of the time for the William Holden character, the high school big shot having to be an adult. And I am always a sucker for roles like the one for the younger sister.

Tree is definitively of a type. It suits me, but it no doubt is a bit sentimental. More than a bit. Again there is this young girl in what I think of as a great role.

I saw Summer again the other night. Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Orson Welles, yep.

Did I suggest Rebel Without a Cause? I don't recall. Everyone should see a James Dean movie sometime, but imo his great fame was somewhat due to his being dead. Actually I think that as Rebel movies go, I prefer The Wild One with Marlon Brando. "What are you rebelling against?" "What have you got?". I think that's from Wild. And the beginning is something like "It all started with the girl". And a very good music score, which was more unusual back then. Also Lee Marvin is in it, before he was well known.
Ken

#52 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-May-08, 07:16

I just watched "Papillon"

I am big time fan of Steve McQueen
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#53 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 10:16

If you enjoyed Babette's Feast you may enjoy My Dinner with Andre.(1981)

★★★★ | Roger Ebert

June 13, 1999 | ☄ 2

Someone asked me the other day if I could name a movie that was entirely devoid of clichés. I thought for a moment, and then answered, “My Dinner With Andre.” Now I have seen the movie again; a restored print is going into release around the country, and I am impressed once more by how wonderfully odd this movie is, how there is nothing else like it. It should be unwatchable, and yet those who love it return time and again, enchanted.
http://www.rogereber...with-andre-1981

#54 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-26, 23:19

The Longest Day.(1962)

https://search.yahoo...20longest%20day

Wow what a great war movie.

This was a big budget movie with every star in the world in it.

This is a movie where you can see where they spent all their money.

Even after 50 years the movie holds up.

http://www.rottentom.../m/longest_day/

#55 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-June-15, 15:09

This may not qualify as old, but I put it here because it certainly isn't new. Becky and I saw Proof the other night. I had never seen either the play or the movie and actually I thought it sounded sort of dippy when I heard the general idea. But both Becky and I found it to be extraordinary. The daughter, the main character, is wonderfully written and Gwyneth Paltrow was perfect. The other performances are also very fine. I gather there was somewhat less enthusiasm from others, it was given a three star rating rather than four, but I do not understand this. We both regarded it as excellent. I saw the four star Ride the High Country last nigh. Boring. But you could not pry me away from Proof.

My opinion of course.
Ken

#56 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-May-01, 19:54

I watched The Deer Hunter last night. Those guys look so young now. I don't think I'll watch it again. It would just kill me. But wow, what an incredible movie.

#57 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-May-01, 20:00

View Posty66, on 2015-May-01, 19:54, said:

I watched The Deer Hunter last night. Those guys look so young now. I don't think I'll watch it again. It would just kill me. But wow, what an incredible movie.

Too intense to watch again, I agree.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#58 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2019-October-27, 17:04

I enjoyed watching Benicio del Toro in Traffic (2000). A lot of good performances in that film and an interesting approach to using color to help viewers keep track of 3 different, overlapping story lines.

#59 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-08, 18:50

Streamed The Apartment from Amazon last weekend. Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray. Filmed in 1960. It was really fun seeing a big office on the 17th floor in a NYC office building with Friden calculators, Jack Lemmon's apartment with a gas stove that had to be lit with a match, a TV set the size of a small refrigerator, the trysts that took place there, etc. Killed a coupla hours in what would have otherwise been a boring day. Sweetlips and I held hands and ate popcorn.

#60 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-May-09, 08:24

Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott talked me into watching Groundhog Day again. I'd forgotten which movie I fell for Andie MacDowell in.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users