Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unalerted multi

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-28, 17:18

Online pairs tournament. No alerts or explanations. Making 6. Any damage or adjustments?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-28, 18:48

I think the 3 bid should have clued you in to what was going on, and you could have clicked on the 2 bid to ask for an explanation.

There should be a PP against NS for the failure to alert, but I don't think BBO has a way to assess them.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-January-28, 18:55

Is it E/W's responsibility to "get clued in"? What if they don't know that there is such a thing as multi-2D?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-29, 16:02

Something clearly strange is going on when the player with a presumed weak 2 makes a free bid of 3. Even if he's never heard of multi, he should be asking questions.

The best contract looks like 3NT, but even with correct explanations I'm not sure how you're going to get there.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-30, 11:40

View Postbarmar, on 2011-January-29, 16:02, said:

Something clearly strange is going on when the player with a presumed weak 2 makes a free bid of 3. Even if he's never heard of multi, he should be asking questions.

The best contract looks like 3NT, but even with correct explanations I'm not sure how you're going to get there.

Why would you presume that the meaning of the 2 bid was a weak two in diamonds? There are other non alertable meanings for a 2 bid that leave the auction plausible until North's pass (e.g. an intermediate two or strong two in diamonds).

I readily admit that I would have asked questions, but I am pretty inquisitive. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-January-31, 11:25

Well, Rik, it depends on jurisdiction - in the ACBL, at least (so for ACBL BBO tourneys as well), the *only* unAlertable meaning for 2D is "weak 2 in diamonds" - intermediate or strong natural are also Alerted. Yes, it drives me nuts when good hands ask about an unAlerted 2D - especially if they then pass.

I notice that 2H was *also* not alerted. That's also bad, but again, it might be cross-jurisdiction rules (maybe where they play, Multi and followups are not Alertable; I don't know where, but that seems to be the most reasonable reason why *both* calls weren't Alerted).

I will admit that with KQTxx - AJTxxxx x, playing EHAA, I'd bid like south, naturally. But yeah. Experienced players - experienced with things other than the ACBL - should twig to something being odd. Not-so-experienced players, or players who have only played ACBL bridge, I'll cut some slack on.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-01, 03:24

View Postbarmar, on 2011-January-29, 16:02, said:

3N is best, being unbreakable. 4H is more fragile, but will be made some reasonable proportion of the time. But likewise I can't see W intervening with 2H or punting 4H over South's 3S call even given correct explanations. 5C is such a terrible contract, the percentage one might give to it being bid and made is tiny, despite the appalling defence that must actually have occurred against 4C. All in all, I think 4C+2 is better than the best result NS can reasonably hope for given the correct explanations, and I conclude no damage.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-01, 09:23

View Postiviehoff, on 2011-February-01, 03:24, said:

3N is best, being unbreakable. 4H is more fragile, but will be made some reasonable proportion of the time. But likewise I can't see W intervening with 2H or punting 4H over South's 3S call even given correct explanations. 5C is such a terrible contract, the percentage one might give to it being bid and made is tiny, despite the appalling defence that must actually have occurred against 4C. All in all, I think 4C+2 is better than the best result NS can reasonably hope for given the correct explanations, and I conclude no damage.

Defence doesn't have to be totally misere to allow 4+2, 10 lead, taken with the A and towards dummy's weakness is not totally supid.

Agree 4+2 is probably as good as they're going to get, sometimes preemption works, and it leaves no means for E to discover his partner's major suit stops or heart suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users