BBO Discussion Forums: World Class - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Class

Poll: World Class (45 member(s) have cast votes)

World Class

1. 0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1-10 (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 11-100 (18 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. 101-200 (9 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. 201-500 (6 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. 501-1000 (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

7. >1000 (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-August-24, 09:12

But just as I think not all players who play in world championship events are world class, I choose to characterize all grandmasters as "world class". In a sense, of course, the titel grand master means world class in chess...but there are grand masters and then there are champions... and there is as much difference between Gary Kasparov (spelling) and lower grandmasters, like american Joel Benjamin and there is between between Fred and me in bridge.
ben

Referring to the latest ELO FIDE list (http://www.maskeret....gi?jul04frl.zip), I think that most of the top 50 ELO listed cannot be discarded from a "world class" award, and I believe this is a common feeling in nthe chess community. To thses, we have to incluide many other players who have decided to stop playing regularly for others activities (e.g. coaching etc), such as Yusupov, Dolmatov, Ulf Andersson, and many more.

I mean, I do not think that a world class is necessarily someone who will fight for the world championship.

So I agree with the statement that a GM in chess is world class almost by definition.
And I also obviously agree that *some* of the GMs are of another planet compared to the rest :-)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#22 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-August-24, 20:19

I didn't start this thread in order to complain about people rating themselves World Class. Players will over rate themselves, that's part of life. Some think they're better than they are and some intentionally rate themselves higher than they are for a variety of reasons. Such is life.

I just wanted to see if my idea of World Class was out of line with what others thought. Thanks for playing.

#23 User is offline   skorchev 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-30, 01:44

Oops, I thought the poll is World Classes in BBO only, but it's for the world. So I think there are 150-200 trully World Class players!

Stefan
BE COOL!

#24 User is offline   dogsbreath 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge,golf,cricket,baseball, ironing (?)

Posted 2004-August-30, 17:35

hi ..
there's another sad reason for rating self as 'expert' .. try getting onto a team match with a 'rating' of advanced or less ..you get very few invites :) I prefer to play teams, so i became an expert B)
It's pathetic, but it does increase the number of invites. ..wont last long though.. soon all will be experts <_<
Rgd Dog

furnulum pani nolo

ManoVerboard

#25 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-August-30, 19:45

dogsbreath, on Aug 30 2004, 06:35 PM, said:

It's pathetic, but it does increase the number of invites. ..wont last long though.. soon all will be experts :)

Not all of us :D

I'm not an expert because:
- I don't enjoy success at national events
- I can read the rules

The experts clearly don't meet both of the above criteria. :lol:

Yes, I've been shut out of tables that would be 'perfect' for me but it's a small price to pay for honesty IMO
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#26 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-30, 20:25

It occurred to me that perhaps providing members with a reminder of the existing definitions of each catagory might influence them to adjust their ratings to a more suitable category. I don't know how many would take the hint, but it seems worth a try.

Of course, a significant number would likely continue to overrate themselves causing the situation to return eventually, but it might provide a nice break from this annoyance.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users