BBO Discussion Forums: Two for the price of one - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two for the price of one Could anyone defend like that?

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-November-15, 16:18

English premier league. RHO is a very good player who has won international events, although is not quite at the Meckwell/Zia type level.

West leads a medium-to-low spade (they lead middle from 3 low, bottom from 3 to an honour)
You win in dummy, and play a club to the ace and a heart to the jack.

Problem 1: The jack of hearts holds. Now what?

Problem 2: The jack of hearts loses to the queen, and RHO plays a heart back (LHO follows). RHO turns up with a doubleton heart. Plan the rest of the play.

(notes:
(i) once RHO has turned up with (assumed to be) Qxxxxx in spades, he can have between 0 and 3 of the missing queens from a point count perspective.
(ii) south denied a decent balanced 13-count by passing over 2D, and denied any interest in doubling 2S for penalties, so north assumed the king of spades, rather than soft stuff, and insufficient strength for a grand.)

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2010-November-15, 16:55

P2:

I'll come to an end position (edit: in dummy) of
--
AK
KJ

KJ
--
KJ
xx

What have we seen so far?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-15, 17:00

1. I think it's quite possible to duck the q, but I haven't seen many people bid 2 on xxx Qxxx. Maybe we should.

2. This seems easy enough if Q is on my right. On the first 3 hearts, pitch . Presumably righty pitches 3 spades. On the next one, if he pitches a we basically have a claim by cashing AK (either marked hook or double squeeze around clubs). If he pitches a club, pitch a club also and cash K pitching J. Either there will be a double squeeze around diamonds or if righty is 6214, we'll have to hope the stiff is the T or Q.

If it looks like lefty has Qxx, I will probably have to guess well, haven't thought about it fully.

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-15, 20:06

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2010-November-15, 16:18, said:

English premier league. RHO is a very good player who has won international events, although is not quite at the Meckwell/Zia type level.

West leads a medium-to-low spade (they lead middle from 3 low, bottom from 3 to an honour)

Problem 2: The jack of hearts loses to the queen, and RHO plays a heart back (LHO follows). RHO turns up with a doubleton heart. Plan the rest of the play.

(notes:
(i) once RHO has turned up with (assumed to be) Qxxxxx in spades, he can have between 0 and 3 of the missing queens from a point count perspective.
(ii) south denied a decent balanced 13-count by passing over 2D, and denied any interest in doubling 2S for penalties, so north assumed the king of spades, rather than soft stuff, and insufficient strength for a grand.)

Aren't west's actions over the presumably Multi 2 most consistent with 3 which we know he has and 1 or 2 rather than 3 or more ? Consequently it appears RHO has 3 or 4 and 6 so play the hand on that assumption.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-November-16, 03:07

I'd feel somewhat smug, if I had thougth of this at the table:

I cash a heart honour at trick two.

This will prevent RHO from making that ducking-trick. And even though it is a good play, it is not that unimagineable. RHO might easily have a hand, where he can see the game is over if he takes the trick.

This way to play hearts loses when LHO has Qxxx of hearts, but how likely is that in wiew of the 2 bid? Probably depends on the opponents. (And even thoughg less likely, it wins immidiately, when RHO has the single Q.)

After the heart honour I return to hand in diamonds, not clubs. This will place me better, no matter who wins the Q, and what that person returns. (At least thats what I think before coffee.)

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-November-16, 04:00

It is quite possible that LHO would have responded 2H on xxx Qxxx ?xx ?xx or similar. Although I agree there is a greater chance of a 2S response on that hand.

As a side note, if you have a very weak hand responding to the multi (as known to be the case here), there is some merit to responding 2H rather than 2S if you think it likely that partner has spades, because opponents are likely to be more comfortable in their methods if they can double for take-out, and there's always the chance that a good hand with hearts might pass, hoping to bid over 2S, and partner psyches a pass of 2H.

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2010-November-16, 04:01

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-November-15, 20:06, said:

Aren't west's actions over the presumably Multi 2 most consistent with 3 which we know he has and 1 or 2 rather than 3 or more ? Consequently it appears RHO has 3 or 4 and 6 so play the hand on that assumption.

No. With equal length in the majors responding to a multi you usually bid 2H, or 3H if you want to pre-empt.

#8 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-16, 04:18

Hm, I don't know why in my previous reply I consistently thought we would get to see one more card than we actually will. We may still have a guess in the 2-card ending. Well, I think I would play this way anyway and hope to get it right, I don't see any 100% solution. If I really have nothing to go on, I will play righty for (32) in the minors as opposed to (41).

For similar reasons, if the J held, I would not cross to hand and hook again. I would rather give myself some chance to still read the position later than to take the extra chance in hearts and basically have no play left if it loses. Even against Meckwell. This is probably ridiculously overconfident and I need to be put in my place.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-16, 06:20

If I win J I am playing a diamond to the jack next

#10 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-17, 13:32

If the J holds I would assume that the finesse works. Ducking is a very tough defense to find, because RHO knows he can't necessarily rely on partner's count in the suit. Also he has to quickly visualize the problem that ducking poses on declarer. It looks very silly if declarer continues with hearts from the top.

I play to the J now and finesse in hearts again later. I don't mind paying off to a great play.

Responding 2 sometimes with heart fit is excellent tactics. Some do it routinely but I concede that many don't.
Michael Askgaard

#11 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-17, 13:43

2. Hearts (unblocking J), K, K, K. Many squeeze chances.
Michael Askgaard

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 04:50

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2010-November-15, 16:18, said:

Apparently declarer is not and does not look worthy of playing in a premier league

With 11 tricks it would not occur to me to butcher my communications by coming to hand. The hand should always make on the simple assumption that RHO has the queen.
Playing s from the top solves all your problems immediately if the queen drops. LHO is quite unlikely to bid that way at favorable vulnerability with Qxxx and 3 cards in . If LHO comes in after 3 rounds of and has only 3 cards in , he will have a very difficult return and is likely to give you your 12th trick immediately. Even if LHO finds the return of a or (unlikely) can return a fourth there is a compound squeeze available, since East will have to keep and will have to relinquish control in one of the minors on the run of the .

Cash the s. What you should have done at trick 2.
However, by coming to hand with the ace, if LHO does have Qxxx in and returns a , you will have destroyed your compound squeeze. (RHO relinquishes on the run of the )

Play for the compound squeeze. Since this is a compound squeeze of the unrestricted type you can run all the s before assessing the situation. RHO will already be squeezed on the penultimate and will have given up control of a minor. It should not be very difficult for declarer to judge which one after RHO has made another discard after the squeeze occurred.
Cash the tops of this minor, ending with the king in hand. Now cash the king to execute the double squeeze.

If you are unfamiliar with compound squeeze technique, this is a basic example to understand it. A compound squeeze culminates always in one of two different double squeezes, depending on what an opponent discards. Among others you must have a basic threat lying over this opponent, in this case it is RHO and the threat is the jack.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:33

View Postrhm, on 2010-November-18, 04:50, said:

Apparently declarer is not and does not look worthy of playing in a premier league

Is this sort of comment really necessary?
As it happens Declarer has won both European and World championships.

I think you don't play enough against the multi if you think it is certain that RHO has the queen of spades, or that LHO doesn't have long hearts.

#14 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:10

View Postrhm, on 2010-November-18, 04:50, said:

If LHO comes in after 3 rounds of and has only 3 cards in , he will have a very difficult return and is likely to give you your 12th trick immediately. Even if LHO finds the return of a or (unlikely) can return a fourth there is a compound squeeze available, since East will have to keep and will have to relinquish control in one of the minors on the run of the .

I agree this line is well worth considering, especially given the possibility of being given the 12th trick on LHO's return. But I am having difficulty seeing exactly how the compound squeeze will work on a return. It looks OK if LHO can return a 4th , but if he returns a then you need to use one of dummy's top cards in the minors to get to the remaining s (either now or after winning A in hand), and that looks to me to destroy the entries you need if RHO abandons the minor in which you still have an entry to dummy.

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:07

double entry

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:08

View PostWellSpyder, on 2010-November-18, 06:10, said:

I agree this line is well worth considering, especially given the possibility of being given the 12th trick on LHO's return. But I am having difficulty seeing exactly how the compound squeeze will work on a return. It looks OK if LHO can return a 4th , but if he returns a then you need to use one of dummy's top cards in the minors to get to the remaining s (either now or after winning A in hand), and that looks to me to destroy the entries you need if RHO abandons the minor in which you still have an entry to dummy.

Up to a point you are right. That's why it is so bad to give up entries yourself at trick 2.
Really brilliant might be to play the jack at trick 2. Now when either opponent switches to a minor you can reach dummy with a and the compound squeeze works.

However let's assume 3 rounds of and a return from LHO.
You do not put in the jack but win with the ace.
Now go to the ace of and run hearts.
On the penultimate RHO has to give up a minor.
Up to the last you have discarded 2 s and one from hand
Regardless you run the last to get another discard from RHO.

Case 1:

RHO has given up (which is likely given that he probably had the queen)
Discard the jack on the sixth come to the king and cash the king to execute the double squeeze. Nobody can hold .

Case 2:

RHO has given up .
Now you are right, but we still are in good shape.
We discard the jack on the last .
come to king of diamond and cash the king and take the marked finesse in clubs.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:23

View Postrhm, on 2010-November-18, 07:08, said:

However let's assume 3 rounds of and a return from LHO.

We can still play a compound squeeze. We win K and cash hearts, coming down to:

If West unguards clubs, we throw a club, cross to A, cash K throwing a diamond, and cross back to A.
If West unguards diamonds, we throw a diamond, cross to K, cash K throwing a club, and cross back to A.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:44

dunno about the compound squeeze. I always seem to go wrong in these endings anyway. But cashing hearts from the top sems like a big winner, particularly if lho has Qxx - then he cannot but give you a free finesse on the way out. If he has Qxxx or Qxx seems like i can always arrange for a squeeze.

Imagine i play AK hearts, and assuming the q hearts doesnt drop, and a heart comes back (anything else doenst really chance anything, i decide to tighten the position by cashing ak diamonds and the k of spades and play out my hearts. Say i reach this position:

-
x
x
KJx

J
-
J
Ax

Assuming east holds the Q of spades, i have an excellent line. On the last heart rho has to come down to two minor suit cards. If he holds Q of diamonds the club finesse is 100%, if lho holds the Q of diamonds they must both come down to 2 clubs. There will be some reading to do, but it shouldn't be too hard. Maybe it would have been best to change the timing, eg, i might not cash the k of spades before I play the last heart. To consider the timing i would have to know how many hearts rho had. This line seems 100% double dummy, and close to that in practice.

EDIT: I always try to arrange endings that avoid too much card reading, as I'm no good at it. This seems to make whenever Qx hearts, or Qx diamonds, or Q & q spades on the right, or singleton diamond on right. If all that fails, its still on a club hook. ANd that is just the lines that require next to no card reading. It will also make double dummy whenever Q of clubs and q od spades on your right.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 10:10

View Postgnasher, on 2010-November-18, 07:23, said:

We can still play a compound squeeze. We win K and cash hearts, coming down to:

If West unguards clubs, we throw a club, cross to A, cash K throwing a diamond, and cross back to A.
If West unguards diamonds, we throw a diamond, cross to K, cash K throwing a club, and cross back to A.

True, I wanted to make this point as well, but the compound squeeze is admittedly of the restricted variety, where you have to make your decision after playing the penultimate .

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 11:23

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2010-November-18, 05:33, said:

Is this sort of comment really necessary?
As it happens Declarer has won both European and World championships.

I think you don't play enough against the multi if you think it is certain that RHO has the queen of spades, or that LHO doesn't have long hearts.

Sorry, maybe my critic is too harsh. The comment was not necessary. But I still think the way the first tricks went is not world class.

I said a compound squeeze is available for 12 tricks under the assumption that RHO has the queen of , provided you do not mess up your entries. I know well enough that nothing is certain except taxes and death, but do you really want to tell me, when you are missing only queens and nothing else and somebody opens multi first in hand showing , that you should not credit this opponent with the queen?

Then you might just as well give up drawing inferences at this game.
Whether LHO would bid 2 over 2 or not, white against red, with qxxx is moot. I consider playing from the top the right play even if LHO may hold Qxxx.

Admittedly in a compound squeeze there is always an element of uncertainty at the decision point, where the play diverges, and you can go wrong. Give RHO a singleton or void in and I may see only and discards from him on the . If LHO is clever and does not discard , I may then well deduce wrongly that RHO has relinquished control in .
But good defense against compound squeeze is even more of a nightmare than executing one.

Nevertheless this line is superior than taking a couple of finesses and I at least do not see any better line.

Rainer Herrmann

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users