Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Change of Bid ACBL Club game

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-21, 16:08

Last Tuesday was a Swiss Teams event at the club. Playing North, on the first board of the first match (21, game all), I dealt and opened 1 on a 5-4 diamond-club 14 count. LHO bid 2. Partner passed. RHO put 2 down, and without taking her hand off the bidding cards asked "can I change this?" I said "Call the Director", which she did. The TD arrived, said she could correct an inadvertant bid, she put down 4. TD then said something to the effect that she was not allowed to change her mind (about the 2 bid). 4 was passed out. Making. At the end of the hand, she said "it was a change of mind". I called for a TD. Different one. Explained the situation. He said "Hm" and walked away - I presumed to consult. During the session, I asked a couple of times if we were going to get a ruling, got no answer. At the end of the session, I asked again. At this time, the original TD, who'd responded to the first call, was entering scores. The other one was running around picking up boards and such. #1 called to #2, they came together to consult. It turned out we were tied for second place. We had lost this match (the only one we'd lost) by 9 IMPs, 8 of them on this board. Finally, Director #2 said "give them 1 more VP. That'll break the tie". That put us 4 VPs behind the first place team. I don't think we'd have gained that many VPs on a different ruling, but I could be wrong.

Recap of the bidding:

W.....N.....E.....S
-.....1....2....P
2 4..All Pass.

I would have competed with 3 over 2. NS at the other table got to 5, down 1, though I don't know how the bidding went. The final ruling was not contested.

Comments?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-October-21, 19:50

Good g*d.

Do these TDs know that giving rulings is part of the job?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 21:34

Yes. In theory, anyway. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users