Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

format

#1 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-21, 05:29

Is it only me or does it really feel like reading a BestBuy rebate receipt?

#2 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-23, 22:37

You are definitely not the only one!! Not sure I'd compare it to Best Buy rebate, but I ver much prefer the old format.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-October-24, 16:09

I trust that people understand the look of the forums generally is up to BBO and Ed and I have no control over it.

Nevertheless, whatever we think of it otherwise, can we agree that the way to show bidding sequences is a vast improvement over previously. :D
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-26, 10:21

One thing you might know about however, David (or Ed):

The Laws forums didn't (and don't) allow "fast reply". With the old software, that was reasonable; with the new "fast reply" being a pretty full editor, I'm not sure it's needed.

Is there a reason that I'm not getting as to why the difference?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2010-October-26, 14:58

There is one thing I really miss with the new design: There is no indication on each forum (in the list of forums) that tells me it contains entries I have not yet read. Only after I open a forum I can see such indications on the threads in that forum.

And while I am at this: Where can I find information on how to add comments in a thread?

Adding a general comment - no problem
Reply to a particular entry - no problem so long as I only want to quote that entry without quoting also the entries further back, but how do I quote through more than one "generation"?

And what is this "multiquote" option? I see no difference whether I check or uncheck it.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-26, 15:46

I think the multiquote option is what you want, Sven. I think the way it works is you click "multiquote"and then you can click on multiple messages to quote. Not sure, as I haven't tested it yet.

When you're looking at the index page of a single forum (which lists the messages in that forum) the icon on the left side tells you whether messages are "new" or not. Look at the Forum Legend at the bottom of the page. "New" messages have a dark icon, messages you've read have a gray icon. Same is true at the "forum list" level. Forums with new messages have a dark icon.

I'm not sure why we don't have "fast reply" in here. I'll look into it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is online   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-26, 16:13

View Postpran, on 2010-October-26, 14:58, said:

There is one thing I really miss with the new design: There is no indication on each forum (in the list of forums) that tells me it contains entries I have not yet read. Only after I open a forum I can see such indications on the threads in that forum.

If the forum icon shows in black, the systems thinks it contains unread posts. If so, click on the icon to set the forum as read. Your reading history from before the upgrade has been forgotten, so it thinks you need to reread all the historical posts.

#8 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-26, 16:46

And what is this "multiquote" option? I see no difference whether I check or uncheck it.

View Postblackshoe, on 2010-October-26, 15:46, said:

I think the multiquote option is what you want, Sven. I think the way it works is you click "multiquote"and then you can click on multiple messages to quote. Not sure, as I haven't tested it yet.

Yep, multiquote doesn't work unless you click multiple multiquote buttons. Was not obvious to me either.

What is this "fast reply" that a couple of people have mentioned and how does it differ from just clicking on the "add reply" button at the bottom of the list?

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2010-October-27, 03:13

And while I am at this: Where can I find information on how to add comments in a thread?

Adding a general comment - no problem
Reply to a particular entry - no problem so long as I only want to quote that entry without quoting also the entries further back, but how do I quote through more than one "generation"?

When you're looking at the index page of a single forum (which lists the messages in that forum) the icon on the left side tells you whether messages are "new" or not. Look at the Forum Legend at the bottom of the page. "New" messages have a dark icon, messages you've read have a gray icon. Same is true at the "forum list" level. Forums with new messages have a dark icon.

View PostTimG, on 2010-October-26, 16:46, said:

Yep, multiquote doesn't work unless you click multiple multiquote buttons. Was not obvious to me either.

What is this "fast reply" that a couple of people have mentioned and how does it differ from just clicking on the "add reply" button at the bottom of the list?

OK!

So now I understand MultiQuote, but I cannot say this is an intuitive procedure.

Thanks anyway

As for the color of the indicator, I have so far never noticed any difference in the colors but will be more attentive to that (possibly small) difference.

#10 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2010-October-27, 03:34

View PostStevenG, on 2010-October-26, 16:13, said:

If the forum icon shows in black, the systems thinks it contains unread posts. If so, click on the icon to set the forum as read. Your reading history from before the upgrade has been forgotten, so it thinks you need to reread all the historical posts.

Thanks, that solved it. I never thought I had to mark (once) the entire forum read for this feature to work.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 05:59

You may want to check out the user style (http://www.bridgebas...yle-for-forums/) I created. It addresses some of these issues and generally makes the forums a lot less stressful to read.

#12 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-October-27, 08:34

Great!

I tried Multiquote: no effect.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#13 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2010-October-27, 08:49

View Postbluejak, on 2010-October-27, 08:34, said:

Great!

I tried Multiquote: no effect.

I have got Multiquote to work to quote multiple messages, see above.
[Click "Multiquote" on each of the messages, then click "Add reply" (not "Reply") at the bottom to include them all.]

What I still can't do is nested quoting, showing one messages as it was quotes within a later quoted message. Like this [by hand]:

View Postbluejak, on 2010-October-27, 08:34, said:

If the forum icon shows in black, the systems thinks it contains unread posts. ...

Great!

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 15:11

View PostRMB1, on 2010-October-27, 08:49, said:

What I still can't do is nested quoting, showing one messages as it was quotes within a later quoted message.
This has been discussed elsewhere, it must be done by hand.

#15 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-28, 23:43

It ha been fixed. Thanks, Ed.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-28, 23:51

Thank you Gerardo. :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2010-October-29, 15:39

Thanks, Gerardo (as the person who pointed it out). And Ed, of course, for looking into it.
(posted using Fast Reply :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-30, 00:24

I always wondered why this section of the BBF didn't have fast replies enabled.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users