Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An atb and two lols teams match

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-January-03, 05:16

So, you've battled through to the final of a minor national knockout tournament, and the following things happened. (there was some good bridge played in this match, this wasn't it)

First the atb:

Scoring: IMP

1-1-P-P-2

The defence was not a thing of beauty and we emerged with 11 tricks, but 10 are there in several ways.

The two lols both involved the same side playing in spades in both rooms.

In our team mates' room they reached the sane 4 which got the unfortunate trump break, but with the 10 falling this was still +620

In our room, S decided to WJO 2 over 1, W waited for a double that his partner didn't produce with only 2 hearts, 2-5 scored -250 and 9 IMPs.

In our room, the auction went 3-x-P-4, partner blinked, thought that there had to be a better spot (there is, 4N makes 9) and collected 500 the hard way when declarer misplayed it.

In the other room, S passed and at some point N bid 3 which was given an 800 sized message by EW, +16 IMPs.

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 06:22

Hmm, looks like hand number 1 is unlucky. Maybe N can invite over 2H ? I dunno. I am interested in what others think here.

2nd is also unlucky I believe. I couldn't resist trapping on this one :)
3rd seems like bad play by N. Passing 3C doubled as N seems to be clear. I like your partner pass over 4s :)

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-January-03, 07:05

bluecalm, on Jan 3 2010, 07:22 AM, said:

Hmm, looks like hand number 1 is unlucky. Maybe N can invite over 2H ? I dunno. I am interested in what others think here.

2nd is also unlucky I believe. I couldn't resist trapping on this one :)
3rd seems like bad play by N. Passing 3C doubled as N seems to be clear. I like your partner pass over 4s :)

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on the 3rd board, there was no 3 by S in the other room, N just bid 3 in EW's auction, but I'm not sure of when.

Another atb from our opponents in the same match

System acol, 4 card majors, weak no trump.

unopposed: 1-1N-2N

3N is simply on finding Q IF they find the best lead of N's bid suit, and better otherwise, so vul at teams, you want to bid it. I'd probably have bid 3 over 2N, and might have bid 3N with the N hand over this.

I might also just have bid 3N over 2N on the grounds that while you might have exactly 8 tricks, it seems more likely you have 7 or 9.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 07:07

I also think hand one is rather unlucky, north almost worht a raise, and south almost worth a double then hearts bid.

Maybe your team-mates underlead Kx to beat 4 at the other room lol.

On the last one West's double is a bit boderline, I wouldn't double but I understand that people will to.

East might hadthough that a perfect 4540 could produce 13 trricks quite easilly. But you ahve to beware of bad breaks when opponents preempt and you have lenght there!.

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 07:25

Cyberyeti, on Jan 3 2010, 06:16 AM, said:

So, you've battled through to the final of a minor national knockout tournament, and the following things happened. (there was some good bridge played in this match, this wasn't it)

First the atb:

Dealer: South
Vul: Both
K10742
AJ1082
A8
AQJ10875
Q73

1-1-P-P-2

The defence was not a thing of beauty and we emerged with 11 tricks, but 10 are there in several ways.

The two lols both involved the same side playing in spades in both rooms.

[snip]

I would give 40%N for not making a 3 call with a minimal LR hand and 60%S for not reopening 3
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-January-04, 02:34

North was wrong in the first case. If his hand looks like a penalty double over 1 Spade, he owes South a raise later. He seems to have two sure tricks and a fit- nothing to be proud of but much too much to pass 2 Heart.

In board 2 south got lucky with his 2 Spade bid. Happens sometimes- if East had a heart more he had doubled and south had conced a telephone number- but nobody had posted this hand.

In nr. 3 I am not sure whether or not passing Wests double is better then playing a 4-4 fit. After all there is no gurantee that you have a 4-4 fit and they are playing in your longest suit....
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-January-04, 02:50

Codo, on Jan 4 2010, 03:34 AM, said:

North was wrong in the first case. If his hand looks like a penalty double over 1 Spade, he owes South a raise later.  He seems to have two sure tricks and a fit- nothing to be proud of but much too much to pass 2 Heart.

In board 2 south got lucky with his 2 Spade bid. Happens sometimes- if East had a heart more he had doubled and south had conced a telephone number- but nobody had posted this hand.

In nr. 3 I am not sure whether or not passing Wests double is better then playing a 4-4 fit. After all there is no gurantee that you have a 4-4 fit and they are playing in your longest suit....

1. This was my view at the time, I posted here to see what others thought.

2. If 2 had been doubled we'd have played 3x which would not have been pretty, but probably better than -620. There are too many variables to predict how many tricks it would have made really.

3. pass by E is the big winner, and one of my regular partners found it when given the hand, although if partner is void you may well not be getting enough to compensate for 4 or indeed 6 if they're making.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-January-04, 04:10

wtp in reopening with 3 on hand 1?

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-January-04, 06:18

whereagles, on Jan 4 2010, 05:10 AM, said:

wtp in reopening with 3 on hand 1?

I thought about it, and thought there was a very big chance if partner had the flattish 5 count I envisaged, that I was making just the 7 tricks I started with (and would be very unlikely to make 9), and -200/500 was not going to be good. There is every chance I can never get to dummy, partner can be as good as QJxx, xx, xxx, KQJx and I can still probably only make 7.

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-January-04, 10:23

I don't have much of a problem with the result on the first board. It seems that both players took a conservative view of their hands. I agree with the comment that if North thought his hand was a penalty pass of a hypothetical reopening double of 1 then he should take some action over 2; however, I am not convinced that North would (or should) pass 1x.

Not really much to say about the second board.

The third board makes me violently ill. South opened 3 at IMPs all red with --- Txx T98x KQT9xx. His side winds up with a monster pickup because his opponents are too stupid to punish him. How can East not pass out 3x? It is almost certain that if his side has a game then 3x is going for a big ride. I would guess that 800 is the starting point. But instead East bids 4 and goes for a number in the other direction. As for the result at the other table, I have some sympathy for North's decision to bid on his cards, although the auction was not presented. He deserved a better fate (and protection from his teammates).

The 3 opening on this hand vul at IMPs is too sick for words. It is justified only by success which, as demonstrated, it achieved.

#11 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2010-January-04, 12:13

passing 2H is lol bad, bidding 2h is very normal

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-04, 13:05

Jlall, on Jan 4 2010, 01:13 PM, said:

passing 2H is lol bad, bidding 2h is very normal

Typ! I thought I was on another planet. South has a normal 2 bid, north has a normal raise.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users