Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Card Completion "Private" elimination

#1 User is offline   esuark 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-December-18, 09:40

I am dismayed by the number of BBO players who (1) insert "private"rather than indicate skill level and/or (2) leave out any description of their play, conventions, etc. I try to avoid such ptnrs, but it is becoming increasingly difficult. It's one thing to omit one's name- or Country- but the other areas should be filled in ....can this not be required? Chuck (esuark)

#2 User is offline   jdaming 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-December-18, 10:07

1) Inserting private rather than an actual skill level is not a crime. If a player does not feel comfortable disclosing their skill that is their choice. It is also completely within your right to avoid them but that is their choice and not something you can change. Like many other posts like this I suggest you get a close group of friends (with skill levels or not) that you like and play with them.

2) I think you have this completely backwards. The idea of placing conventions, leads, play etc doesn't belong on your profile. That is why there is a convention card option. I suggest you make several cards you like and find one that is suitable with your partner.

3) I don't understand why this would be required that is one of the great things about a profile is that is reflects the personality of the person behind it if you don't like it just move on.
All IMO. Junior wanting to soak up all the knowledge he can.

#3 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-18, 10:12

jdaming, on Dec 18 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

2) I think you have this completely backwards. The idea of placing conventions, leads, play etc doesn't belong on your profile. That is why there is a convention card option. I suggest you make several cards you like and find one that is suitable with your partner.

It would get more usage if it was even close to user friendly. It doesn't even save your changes in a user friendly manner.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#4 User is offline   Oren Goren 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 20:49

pooltuna, on Dec 18 2009, 11:12 AM, said:

jdaming, on Dec 18 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

2) I think you have this completely backwards.  The idea of placing conventions, leads, play etc doesn't belong on your profile.  That is why there is a convention card option.  I suggest you make several cards you like and find one that is suitable with your partner.

It would get more usage if it was even close to user friendly. It doesn't even save your changes in a user friendly manner.

I have asked in the past how to share or even show a card to someone else.

The not-user-friendly answer by jdaming was not friendly. Ask him just how you and someone else are going to agree on the card in order to form the partnership.

#5 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 22:26

Hi:

Self ratings on bbo are not of much value.

One in six players here self-rates as an 'expert.'

You can get a better idea of the real level by noting what they play.

If they explain basic bids on their profile, they are not experts.

You should go over your methods before you play and this should

give you a some idea of the level of your new partner.

Just sitting down to play with a stranger on bbo is mainly playing

'party' bridge.

Happy Holidays,
Robert

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 03:45

If those who certify as "private" find this disclosure hampers their ability to find a game, then market forces will drive them to certify something else, without the need for external rules or software constraints. Those same market forces are already in evidence in encouraging dishonest certifications.

The fact that some like myself have no problems finding and enjoying games despite disclosing as private suggests to me that the OP's view, while not unique, is neither so popular as to warrant concern, in my view. Same applies to system disclosure in profile.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-28, 13:51

Oren Goren, on Dec 26 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

If using an "Old Style Convention Card" (not the full disclosure one), the simplest way is to have them sit at a table with you, then set the Convention Card.

For them to see it, they click on the CONV button, then "Show Old Style" then "Our". This will show them the CC.

They can then save it onto their PC, if they wish to do so. However, even if they do not save it, the software will remember the convention card from that point forward everytime you play with that partner and automatically load it.

Somebody else will have to tell you how to share a Full Disclosure CC.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#8 User is offline   Oren Goren 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-28, 17:45

bid_em_up, on Dec 28 2009, 02:51 PM, said:

Oren Goren, on Dec 26 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

If using an "Old Style Convention Card" (not the full disclosure one), the simplest way is to have them sit at a table with you, then set the Convention Card.

For them to see it, they click on the CONV button, then "Show Old Style" then "Our". This will show them the CC.

They can then save it onto their PC, if they wish to do so. However, even if they do not save it, the software will remember the convention card from that point forward everytime you play with that partner and automatically load it.

Somebody else will have to tell you how to share a Full Disclosure CC.

Thanks!

I have discovered how to use and change a BBO default convention card, and probably to share it.

It requires the Windows client. (Is there a LINUX/Mac/etc client? Would work the same general way.)

Once you click on CONV click on FILE and select/open the default card you want.

FILE, save as, then change directory shown (step by step ok) to

\Bridge Base Online\Convcards\YOUR ID Convcards

Then type in a unique file name and click save.

If you forget to change directories you will maybe have lost the bidding of the card.

A note about editing the cards: First click on offense/defense/etc.

Then click on - you'll never guess! - SETTINGS, not ACTIONS?!?! And click on Editor.

Once you know this directory path file name you can (probably) send it to someone else to use in a Windows client.

[The web-client apparently does not store your cards on your 'puter.)

Editing:

First you are given the header, system description. Click on DEFINE to change it.

Thereafter, after OK, click on short description of a bid. DEFINE will show up, as well as a little window that shows details not in the description, like 4+, forcing, etc.

I have no idea what the other column is although all the wording is plain English._

To put in a bids response, continuations, click on the bid and the cheapest response will now be ready to DEFINE.

etc.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users