BBO Discussion Forums: Partners playing the same methods - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partners playing the same methods EBU - WBF

#1 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-October-19, 07:03

1997 Law 40E1 said:

1. Right to Prescribe
The sponsoring organisation may prescribe a convention card on which partners are to list their conventions and other agreements, and may establish regulations for its use, including a requirement that both members of a partnership employ the same system (such a regulation must not restrict style and judgement, only method).

2007 Law 40B2A part said:

The Regulating Authority may.... It may vary the general requirement that the meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made (such a regulation must not restrict style and judgement, only method).

As I see it, the only effective difference is the default: if there is no regulation, then players may play different methods under 1997, and may not under 2007. Agreed?

EBU Orange book 10A2 said:

Both members of a partnership must have the same bidding agreements and play the same system of leads, signals and discards.

The EBU's regulation, unchanged with the change of Law books, does not permit different methods.

Please can someone tell me what the WBF said on the matter for their competitions, say in 2006 and 2009.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-19, 08:38

The current WBF Systems Policy, published in October 2008, states:

"Both members of the partnership must agree to use the same methods of bidding and card play."

Using the Internet Archive, the same sentence can be found in the August 2002 Systems Policy that was in place in June 2006.

I have not found anything else after a quick glance at various WBF Conditions of Contest.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-19, 10:03

Thanks. That seems to cover that, then. Out of interest, what are the rules in other jurisdictions?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   duschek 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-19, 10:36

bluejak, on Oct 19 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

Out of interest, what are the rules in other jurisdictions?

Denmark: We used to have a regulation that the meaning must not depend on the player making the call/play. Since this is the default in 2007 Laws, we have removed that regulation as it no longer has any effect.

In other words, in Denmark the two players in a partnership must play the same methods, and it has "always" been so (i.e., as far back as I know of).

#5 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-20, 02:59

duschek, on Oct 19 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

bluejak, on Oct 19 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

Out of interest, what are the rules in other jurisdictions?

Denmark: We used to have a regulation that the meaning must not depend on the player making the call/play. Since this is the default in 2007 Laws, we have removed that regulation as it no longer has any effect.

In other words, in Denmark the two players in a partnership must play the same methods, and it has "always" been so (i.e., as far back as I know of).

AFAIK (almost) the same for Norway. I am not aware that we ever have had explicit regulation(s) to this effect, it has been an unwritten "obvious" rule.

Sven

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-20, 05:30

I do not see why it is obvious. There have always been one or two male-female pairs who play transfers from one side only. Personally, I can see nothing wrong with that if they wish to, and no doubt the same could apply to client-pro partnerships.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-21, 14:15

bluejak, on Oct 20 2009, 06:30 AM, said:

I do not see why it is obvious.  There have always been one or two male-female pairs who play transfers from one side only.  Personally, I can see nothing wrong with that if they wish to, and no doubt the same could apply to client-pro partnerships.

Assuming the wife is the boss, as usual --and that the pro is the one who doesn't bid the transfers -- it would be interesting to see how many times the one not using conventions gets the level and strain right with (say) a five card major.

Of course, I would not presume to suggest there is UI in these partnerships. That would be unthinkable. But, requiring both pairs to use the same methods does reduce the possibilities.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-21, 18:31

Why?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-21, 18:51

because if they are using ui and also working it out so the pro/wife plays the hands, that is a double whammy :P that was humor, don't want to hear about it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users