• You cannot reply to this topic

Torture Memos

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2009-May-25, 13:18

What is the meaning of SAYC? I always thought it is a system published with specific parameters.

I never play with players who display on their profile: stolen bid or *gerber anytime* (whatever that is).

But now I have now seen more than one player who plays *transfer to majors only*, only to discover that they do not play stayman and in fact, transfer to a 4 card major.

I now start to wonder whether there is an area of the US where people are taught to bid that way.

One would think, with stayman having been american, that most US players would learn stayman, and, as a beginning player at a club, they would start learning some sayc or 2 over 1 card which would be inclusive of stayman.

I never thought that the sentence **transfer to majors only** excluded stayman, thought it only excluded the transfer to minors.

Why would anyone transfer to a 4 card major in matchpoints?

I need to know to make better opening leads against these players.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-May-25, 15:23

"One would think, with stayman having been american, that most US players would learn stayman, and, as a beginning player at a club, they would start learning some sayc or 2 over 1 card which would be inclusive of stayman"

:P Of course Stayman did not invent stayman. See Rapee. In fact England also claims to have invented it in the 1930's.. see Kempson, JCH Marx.

I would think these players may be Brits or perhaps from Manhattan where Stayman lived. Perhaps they only play the original convention.

My Bridge Encyclopedia says "responder has a wide range of possible rebids, many of which are subject to interpretations" so this sounds like a pretty complicated convention....

"The original convention provided for opener to rebid 2d with a minimum and 2nt with a maximum"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users