• You cannot reply to this topic

Etiquette Question (LOL)

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-December-05, 12:09

So, I played in the Midnight Zip KO in Boston twice. We came in second in the second venture. Very proud moment to share.

In any event, an etiquette question arose.

As I recall things, the Midnight Zip KO has historically been an event where (1) drinking is not mandatory, but adjustments are possible if you do not drink and (2) being boisterous is deemed appropriate.

However, at this event, we had a TD call at our table because a group of youthful bridge players were quite loudly playing some sort of game across the room. Our opponents seemed distracted by this. The ruling at the table was that that TD just looked at our opponents as if they had lost their minds, and then walked away. At some point, a general announcement was made for the boisterousness to be subdued somewhat.

When I checked in that direction, I did not see a single beer being consumed by this group of youthful players. As a result, I believe that the ruling was inaccurate.

Should the TD have penalized this group for not disclosing beer?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-05, 12:23

Congratulations.
As for the ruling, isn't it your problem if you can't distinguish a lemonade from a gin and tonic?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-05, 13:20

I once played in the Labatt's Midnight Swiss at a regional in Montreal. Labatt's apparently paid for their sponsorship by providing a keg. Cups were also provided, no IDs checked, and there was no charge (beyond the entry fee) for the beer. Still, there was at least one sour-pussed participant that was not amused with our bidding.

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2008-December-05, 15:04

Reminds me of the midnight speedball at Brighton

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-05, 16:35

Congrats Ken, keep it up!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-December-05, 16:57

Good work Ken. Go go go :)

Good guys here.

Hamdi

ps. I wld not offer my pie to th TD.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.

#7 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-05, 18:00

you should have complained to the TD about excessive use of the PA system and the lack of noise messing with your enjoyment of the session.

#8 User is offline   JLOL 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-05, 19:58

kenrexford, on Dec 5 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

When I checked in that direction, I did not see a single beer being consumed by this group of youthful players.

LOL

#9 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-December-08, 04:28

mr1303, on Dec 5 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

Reminds me of the midnight speedball at Brighton

Those pesky Brits cheated me out of winning the last match in the midnight speedball KO teams! Grrrrrr! :)
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#10 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-14, 22:15

I once played a midnight KO where we lost the first match 4-2 all on overtrick IMPs. Partner's comment -- "I was so messed up I couldn't count any hand." We were disadvantaged in that one of our opponents was like 12 so was obviously not chemically impaired. Hmm like I hadn't noticed. There were only 14 entries so as the lucky loser we got to soldier on. Partner's head cleared and we ran the table.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#11 User is offline   ClaceyJ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-December-15, 05:49

brianshark, on Dec 8 2008, 05:28 AM, said:

Those pesky Brits cheated me out of winning the last match in the midnight speedball KO teams! Grrrrrr! B)

Oh yeah, the legendary Ireland-England final this year- I was just glad my partner was more sober/can hold her drink better than I can..

Im sure you'll get your revenge this year B)

#12 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-15, 12:09

I remember one KO at Grand Island, NY. I had 2 beers - and 2 (Canadian) beers is my limit (don't know about this stuff, but it was craft, not Blud-equivalent).

Of course I started the second one at 0015, and finished it around 0200 - there was a player knocked out whose ride was still in, so he brought a couple of pitchers and kept filling everybody's glasses.

That was the game that ended with "oh, you went plus? Good. Win 'em all." from our teammates. "No, really, we're plus 4000".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users