BBO Discussion Forums: Capital Punishment - BBO Discussion Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Capital Punishment

Poll: If you were the King of the World, would you allow capital punishment? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

If you were the King of the World, would you allow capital punishment?

1. Yes, capital punishment is needed sometimes (13 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No, capital punishment is bad, end of discussion (39 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2008-February-19, 08:42

If this thread is inappropriate, you can execute me.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2008-February-19, 09:02

As most of you can guess, I strongly oppose capital punishment

1. I've seen no evidence that Capital Punishment has any deterrent effect

2. If you execute someone by mistake there aren't any "take backs"

3. Its abundantly clear that the US applies Capital Punishment in a discriminatory manner

4. This is just my gut feeling, but I think that a lot of the Capital Punishment proponents are much more interested in posturing than costs and benefits

I understand that the family of victims want an "Eye for and Eye". However, I like to think that we've out grown that sort of thing...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2008-February-19, 09:09

Agree with all Richard's points. Especially the note about "an eye for an eye".

I'll add that a criminal facing capital punishment could be extra dangerous since he has nothing to lose. Also I have heard some rumors that studies have shown that juries become less rational when dealing with capital punishment cases, presumably because they refuse to consider the possibility that they have killed someone wrongfully. This is just lose memory, might be nonsense.

I have no moral problems with capital punishment (in some cases it may be more humane than life imprisonment), I just don't think it's practical.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 09:13

Eyes and teeth are one thing....what about ol' numero uno...Thou shalt not kill?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-February-19, 09:23

I do not think it should be ruled out completely, but much more care should be taken with this verdict than otherwise. It would not be something that I would leave just to a jury.

I'm thinking about cases where it is bleedingly obvious that you have the right person, combined with a statement that this person could NEVER function again in society. It should be an option for at least serial child abuse, serial killers and serial rape cases.

A very select group of people are just wired in some way that if they ever get out, the rest of us will not be safe because they WILL strike again.

A great majority of those on US death row would not qualify for this.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-February-19, 12:01

I used to be in favor, and over time have turned very very strongly against. Humans have no business killing each other, nor judging which other humans are bad enough to kill and which ones aren't. I would be against it even ignoring the fact that it's applied extremely unfairly and often inaccurately in this country.

I fear the government doing the executing about a million times more than I fear the person being executed.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-February-19, 12:12

gwnn, on Feb 19 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

If this thread is inappropriate, you can execute me.

*chop*

*done*

#8 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 13:04

Not in favor.

For me it isn't a matter of a politics, or deterrence, or executing an innocent person, or whatever. I simply believe in the sanctity of life.

This is why I'm against abortions (not on a legal level, but on a personal level). I know nearly all of you find this repugnant, but that's tough *****.
"Phil" on BBO

#9 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 13:10

In england we just had a man batter to death an 1 year old baby after weeks of abuse........ You want to imprison him? get real the bastard deserves to die

or more to the point we have a duty to protect and if the only answer you have to protect is to imprison afterwards, then I feel you are missing a fundemental point in life. death penalty is a deterant and maybe a few deaths will prevent more deaths

or another view someone like that does not deserve to live, you can argue who has the right to make a judgement that he deserves to die and who has the right to take his life. but I bet the woudl be no shortage of people willing to make the decision or carry out the task.

How can you outgrow a desire for vengance if someone has raped and mutilated your baby...

Romans 12:19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.

shall we leave it all to GOD? BS

#10 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-February-19, 13:46

In england we just had a man batter to death an 1 year old baby after weeks of abuse........ You want to imprison him? get real the bastard deserves to die

or more to the point we have a duty to protect and if the only answer you have to protect is to imprison afterwards, then I feel you are missing a fundemental point in life. death penalty is a deterant and maybe a few deaths will prevent more deaths

or another view someone like that does not deserve to live, you can argue who has the right to make a judgement that he deserves to die and who has the right to take his life. but I bet the woudl be no shortage of people willing to make the decision or carry out the task.

How can you outgrow a desire for vengance if someone has raped and mutilated your baby...

Not to mention that the mother will live in fear that as long as this person lives, he might escape. And that while the guy is doing time, about €1,000,000 of tax money is spent on his security in prison whereas the victims might get only €1,000 worth of psychological help.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-February-19, 13:51

Just for the sake of argument, I'll propose a scenario.

A person is convicted of murder. He gets life.

Suppose that the law provided that a person given life in prison for a murder can also be classified as a person who is subject to execution upon further misconduct of a specified type, like a further murder. However, he is not executed for that offense.

Then, he later commits a qualifying offense, such as killing an institutional guard. No additional meaningful penalty is available, but he has been placed on notice that this qualifying event can yeild the death penalty.

Any difference here? Or, do we honor the dead guard by simply restricting library rights for this guy?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:02

Gerben42, on Feb 19 2008, 02:46 PM, said:

Not to mention that the mother will live in fear that as long as this person lives, he might escape. And that while the guy is doing time, about €1,000,000 of tax money is spent on his security in prison whereas the victims might get only €1,000 worth of psychological help.

If there is one person not thinking clearly in all of this, it's the mother.

How much is spent on 20 years of appeals? And I don't want to hear we don't need it, even with that we still don't get close to 100% accuracy! And how about the thousands of court cases that are delayed months and years because of all those appeals, do those people not also deserve justice?

sceptic, on Feb 19 2008, 02:10 PM, said:

In england we just had a man batter to death an 1 year old baby after weeks of abuse........ You want to imprison him?  get real the bastard deserves to die

So if it was a 20 year old he battered then he wouldn't deserve to die? And if it was only 2 days of abuse? And more importantly, who is judging these things! I hope it's not you.

death penalty is a deterant and maybe a few deaths will prevent more deaths

Maybe? Now we kill people because of maybes? Show me proof that it works. Don't you think that people who kills babies are not considering the consequences of their actions, and are not planning on being caught? The US has the death penalty and there is no shortage of murders here.

or another view someone like that does not deserve to live, you can argue who has the right to make a judgement  that he deserves to die and who has the right to take his life. but I bet the woudl be no shortage of people willing to make the decision or carry out the task.

Who cares who is willing? You admit there is a point about who has the right to make those decisions (answer = no one) and then just answer a different question instead. Because there is no answer.

Who cares about vengeance? Fueling more negativity won't bring any babies back.

Romans 12:19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.

shall we leave it all to GOD?  BS

Now you are just presenting an argument against yourself, that according to the bible the lord will take care of the revenge and he says that we shouldn't, and calling it BS. Well done.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#13 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:06

So if it was a 20 year old he battered then he wouldn't deserve to die? And if it was only 2 days of abuse? And more importantly, who is judging these things! I hope it's not you.

That is not what I am saying and you well know it

#14 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:09

no much of an arguement for not killing people jdonn why should someone not have the right ?

#15 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:15

And I don't want to hear we don't need it

well that is what I call openminded discussion

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:21

pclayton, on Feb 19 2008, 02:04 PM, said:

Not in favor.

For me it isn't a matter of a politics, or deterrence, or executing an innocent person, or whatever. I simply believe in the sanctity of life.

This is why I'm against abortions (not on a legal level, but on a personal level). I know nearly all of you find this repugnant, but that's tough *****.

No Phil, I don't find anything repugnant in your post.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:40

I would not be strongly opposed to this country (the USA) bringing back noon hangings in the town square.

#18 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2008-February-19, 14:52

I don't favor killing people. On the other hand, my life is such that the issue doesn't really arise and I think maybe I should at least try to look honestly at situations where it is more of an issue. Ken Rexford alludes to one that I have often thought of in this context. I'll phrase it my way.

A guy commits a series of heinous crimes and pretty much everyone agrees that he is never again to be free. He is put in prison, a life sentence without parole. How, exactly, is he to be controlled in prison? Solitary confinement for the rest of his life, given food by robotic means? This is somehow morally superior to killing him? Obviously the guards, and for that matter I would say the other prisoners who may be there for somewhat lesser crimes, need to be protected. How?

Moving on.

On this business of justice for the victims: Without getting specific, let us suppose that a crime has been committed against my family and of a magnitude that I, personally, would be happy to see the culprit torn to pieces by wolves. Maybe some of you cannot imagine such a feeling, but I can. I do not expect society to offer me that option. I expect society to effective employ the punishment we decided upon in calmer times. It seems to me that this is often the real tragedy of capitol punishment trials. If capitol punishment is an option, then I as an aggrieved family member could well want it. If only life imprisonment is on the table, then I want that. What I don't want is a five year debate over whether he gets the needle or life imprisonment. This, unfortunately, is what often happens.

All in all, I guess I go with taking the death penalty off the table. If the culprit gets life, and that is the maximum punishment society offers, I think the family can accept that just as they can accept the unavailability of dismemberment by wolves. But I do worry about how these cons are going to be controlled in prison.

My direct experience with this is fortunately non-existent.
Ken

#19 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2008-February-19, 15:27

Well, we can always just kill all of the violent people...

or

we could become humane and spend the same time and money on determining why they do these things and figuring out how to avoid these tragic eventualities. I realize that in our society, we are more interested in quick fixes and ignoring deeper issues but when they determine that having curly hair or espousing a religious philosophy is also punishable by death.....what happens?

Rising above is not at all about getting down in the muck and filth.....if we continue to do wrong we are doomed to be wrong-doers.....
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#20 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-19, 15:34

Al_U_Card, on Feb 19 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

we could become humane and spend the same time and money on determining why they do these things and figuring out how to avoid these tragic eventualities.

Is it clear that they can all be avoided?

I agree that society could go along ways toward creating an environment that is not so conducive to such tragic eventualities. But, I don't think it is realistic to think that they can be eliminated.

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users