• You cannot reply to this topic

How much do you need to pass?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-April-17, 15:57

Scoring: MP

1D-(1H)-??

Partner opens 1 (5 cards M, 4 card , can be 4-4 minors) and RHO overcalls 1. Do you have enough defence to pass (partner will DBL most of the time) or do you need at least 5 card ?

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-April-17, 16:05

Don't ever trap at the 1 level with 4 trumps, and almost never do it at the 2 level.

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-17, 16:07

Jlall, on Apr 17 2007, 02:05 PM, said:

Don't ever trap at the 1 level with 4 trumps, and almost never do it at the 2 level.

I don't mind trapping at the 2 level against 2 of a minor with 4 good trump. The risk / reward is more favorable than trapping versus 2 major.
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-17, 16:45

pclayton, on Apr 17 2007, 04:07 PM, said:

Jlall, on Apr 17 2007, 02:05 PM, said:

I don't mind trapping at the 2 level against 2 of a minor with 4 good trump. The risk / reward is more favorable than trapping versus 2 major.

This is MP, so it hardly makes a difference.
Anyway, the risk of trapping isn't only that they might make it, it may also happen that it gets passed out (or that partner is forced to reopen on too many hands), or that the auction doesn't go P P X P and you can't show your hand anymore.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2007-April-17, 16:56

Not everyone would agree with me but,
I suggest that you concentrate on bidding your hand and work toward reaching the partnership's best contract rather than keep trying to lure old George (or Georgia) to his/ her doom. If you miss an opportunity, chances are that some of that loss might come back in terms of misdefense or a favorable lead, to say nothing of the fact that the opp's bidding might help you evaluate your holdings better and locate a key card or two in the bidding.

This is also one reason that I often hate redoubles just to show 9/10+ hcp. The opps usually find some escape and you've lost a round of bidding during which to bid your hand. The exception might be when you have a 3-card limit raise for partner's major, or some roughly 3-suited hand, short in partner's suit. Otherwise, I suggest that you bid as you might have bid had there not been an intervening takeout double. Don't let the opp's bidding disrupt your own bidding if possible.

dhl
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-April-18, 04:05

Bid a simple 2. If pard makes a strong move (e.g. 3, 2), you can think of slam. Otherwise just follow-up with 3NT and concentrate on making 11 tricks :)

#7 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-18, 08:49

kgr, on Apr 17 2007, 04:57 PM, said:

1D-(1H)-??

Partner opens 1 (5 cards M, 4 card , can be 4-4 minors) and RHO overcalls 1. Do you have enough defence to pass (partner will DBL most of the time) or do you need at least 5 card ?

I think you have enough defense to be able to beat 1H, but it is not the hand to make a trap pass with.

You would like to have a 5th trump, making it reasonably certain that partner can/will reopen with a double. When holding 4 trumps, there are no assurances that he will be able to, even if your style is normally to reopen with X.

I think that either 6C or 6N are likely making. You would have to beat 1H by 5 tricks to outscore 6C and by 6 tricks to outscore 6N. Achieving this is unlikely when holding only 4 trumps, since RHO can easily have 6 or more. He will take at least 2 trump tricks on length alone.

Better to begin investigating your best spot immediately with this hand, imo.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#8 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-April-18, 13:50

I'd never consider trap passing here for two main reasons.

1. Partner might have more than two 's and pass it out.
2. Even if partner reopen with a double, I'd seldom expect to beat 1 enough to outscore our normal contract.

So I'd just bid 2 and see how the bidding develops.
Kind regards,
Harald

#9 User is offline   Edmunte1 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-April-18, 13:58

4 trumps with AQ10x are not enough for a trap pass, and also ther could be a big risk that partner with 3-4 will pass. I completely agree with previous posts

#10 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-18, 16:10

Thanks all for the answers!! By now it's clear for me that I needed at least 5 hearts to pass :P ...but is 5 enough?

1D-(1H)-P-(P)
DBL-All pass

I don't remember the exact hands, but they were something like this.
Questions:
- If you can replace clubs by hearts.. How much more hearts do you need to pass iso bid?
- Is it ok to DBL with the North hand or do you need at least a singleton?
Thanks!
Koen
PS: Opps played 1HX-2, most other pairs played 3NT and one pair made 6C. A 0 (that's a big fat zero) for us :(

#11 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-18, 16:37

kgr, on Apr 18 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

Thanks all for the answers!! By now it's clear for me that I needed at least 5 hearts to pass  :P ...but is 5 enough?
Dealer: North
Vul: Both
Jxxx

AKQxx
Axxx
KQx
AQTx
x
KJTxx
1D-(1H)-P-(P)
DBL-All pass

I don't remember the exact hands, but they were something like this.
Questions:
- If you can replace clubs by hearts.. How much more hearts do you need to pass iso bid?
- Is it ok to DBL with the North hand or do you need at least a singleton?
Thanks!
Koen
PS: Opps played 1HX-2, most other pairs played 3NT and one pair made 6C. A 0 (that's a big fat zero) for us  :(

I have mentioned this before about Larry Cohen, he has a whole chapter on not making takeout x with a void. In particular he discusses not making an x in the reopening seat as in your example here.

Of course as others have said it well they would not make a trap pass with only 4 hearts. But give responder 5 or more hearts and opener still should not reopen with an x per Cohen/Bergen.

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2007-April-18, 17:23

skaeran, on Apr 19 2007, 02:50 AM, said:

I'd never consider trap passing here for two main reasons.

1. Partner might have more than two 's and pass it out.
2. Even if partner reopen with a double, I'd seldom expect to beat 1 enough to outscore our normal contract.

So I'd just bid 2 and see how the bidding develops.

I agree with this. What concerns me also is the comment that with one additional H some would consider a trap pass.
A pass at the one level looks more like Ax KQJTx and out. here you may well not be able to make much if the opps remove your SA in a possible NT contract by your side.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2007-April-19, 03:55

Hi,

you need -3 to compensate for game,
which means, your side has to make
3H, I would say it is a tough goal, because
you need to prevent cheap ruffs, and
you cant draw trumps, because that will
give away tricks.
=> Go for your own game, and you may have
a slam.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-April-19, 04:43

trap passing with 4 cards at the 1 level can be a good idea when they are vulnerable adn yo are not.

#15 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-April-19, 09:49

I would never trap pass with 4 at the one level even if I want to defend because it's too likely partner will have 3, or 2 with a bad hand and shape, and not reopen for me. With 5 I'm far more happy to trap pass in general. If the example hand had a club moved to hearts I'd pass all day, but if it had a spade moved to hearts I'd bid since my offensive potential is greater.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#16 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-19, 10:18

Jlall, on Apr 17 2007, 06:05 PM, said:

I agree with the first half of this statement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users