BBO Discussion Forums: BIL Teachers, Mentors, Honorary Members - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BIL Teachers, Mentors, Honorary Members I Salute You.

#1 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2006-September-04, 20:05

Three years ago (3 September 2003) I received an email from FRED

"I am about to get on a plane and I may not
be able to respond to e-mail until Monday,
but what you are planning sounds great
(I will respond in detail next week) and I have
set up your private club.

and so the BIL ,as the Beginner Intermediate Lounge is now affectionately referred to , came into being.

Over the past few days I have received many accolades but without the Honorary membership the BIL would just be another Club of bridge players - with little skill.

It is those Advanced, Expert and World Class players who with dedication , time , effort and a willingness to share their expertise that has given the BIL it's reputation amongst the beginners and intermediates as 'their place of learning online"

At Fred's "Think with Fred" session yesterday I was able to acknowledge the time and effort of the members who have stepped up to 'keep the wheels turning'

Today I want to THANK each and every one of the 186 strong Honorary membership - many of whom have been with me from those early months.

The BIL members are deeply in your debt.

Your efforts have not been in vain, 53 members have now gone on to become Advanced and yes even an acknowledged Expert . All have said that their advancement has come about solely because of the help they received in the BIL.

Many members tell me that they have now joined f2f clubs and others that they now regularly play in local and regional tournaments where previously they would not have dared.

One has started up a face to face Club in his home town area so dedicated to the game he has become. A fact I like to use to riposte those who claim that internet bridge will kill off f2f bridge !

To all the BIL's HONORARY members I salute you - the accolades are yours.

ps - we still need a teacher from the Southern Hemisphere and Aspiring (the BIL's Mentor Co Ordinator is deperately seeking additional mentors
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-September-04, 20:15

Congrads BILLie's.... Remarkable Maureen.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Thymallus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-September-05, 15:18

The "Think with Fred" session was a jaw dropping demonstration of how to play the game. His clear description of the mechanics counting, how to picture partner's and opps hands and plan accordingly was first class. Sadly I could not watch it all and was therefore delighted at Maureen's e-mail transcript of the whole session.

This was a truly superlative way of teaching and I would exhort other experts to take the plunge and use it too.

John

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-September-05, 16:07

Thymallus, on Sep 5 2006, 10:18 PM, said:

This was a truly superlative way of teaching and I would exhort other experts to take the plunge and use it too.

It's not as easy as Fred makes it look ...

And Fred has few peers as a player ...

And most of the experts are watching with the same jaw dropping posture!

So, unfortunately but unsurprisingly, you will probably have to keep an eye open for his next session ... although all the teachers have their moments :)

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2006-September-05, 16:35

Paul is so right about that -

over 3 1/2 hours of intense concentration, thinking, analyzing, typing and playing in one continuous seamless flow - I was in awe when I attended Fred’s first “Think with Fred” session , the wonder of it increases each time I witness it . He even manages to refer to the other players by name - it is miraculous.

If a bridge genie ever appears on my screen and offers me but one wish - without hesitation it would be to sit alongside Fred as he does a Think with Fred session to see in person it actually happening.

CARDSHARP is one of the BIL's original Honorary members (joined 18 September 2003 ) and still conducts a session every Monday at 14:00 EDT - thank you Paul :)
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users