Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1sy 2nd round control question Opinions Please

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-May-14, 03:16

Not sure if I can word this correctly, but here goes hope you can understand my questions

not used this thread before for obvious reasons, but I think it is an advanced question

after agreeing a suit, you proceed to cue bid, you use 1st and 2nd round controls

1/. is it incorrect to bid a first and second round control with a void? (general)

when you are unable to show a splinter because (possibly) your partner has started a cue bidding sequence and beacuse the next suit up from your p's cuebid is the void in question.

2/. is it incorrect to bid a first and second round control with a void? (specific to this example)i.e.

1C - p - 1 major - p - 3 same major - p - ( you now hold a club Ace and a void in Diamonds) (I understand I have not constructed the other 12 cards, but perhaps you can show an example if possible please) how would you proceed to cue bid at this point (I do not play exclussion blackwwod, but I am interestined in hearing how the bidding may proceed with and without this as an option)

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-May-14, 08:02

voids and stiffs can be cue bid, yes... once a trump fit is established, you're trying to show control of suits, and a void is control

on the example bidding.. 1c : 1h : 3h : assuming you have no spade control and have the A and a void, i'd bid 4c... if partner bids 4d you know there's duplication and can signoff... if he bids 4h, you can make one more try with 5d (but i probably wouldn't bid 4nt), asking about spades

if 1c : 1s : 3s, 4c again... you're hoping for a 4h bid... maybe others can help clear up my thinking here, but on this bidding i don't see anything wrong with rkc, even with the void (after 1c : 1s : 3s : 4c : 4h)

both of those assume you don't play serious or non-serious 3nt... xrkc works well also, 1c : 1h : 3h : 5d
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-May-14, 08:11

One issue that you really want to discuss with your partner is whether you show disrtibutional controls in a suit that partner has shown naturally.

Case in point. Assume the following auction

1 - 2
3 - 3
4 - ???

1 was "standard"
2 = Strong jump shift
3 = sets trump
3/4 = cue bids

You probably should clarify whether a 4 cue bid by responder guaruntees an honor.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-May-14, 12:48

It's a good queston and IMO without discussion can get a little tricky. My answer is yes, singletons and voids should be bid but only when it appears these holdings may be of value to partner's slam evaluations.

Case in point:

1S-2C
2S-3S

Playing 2/1 and Serious 3N, I would not cue bid 4C with a singleton or void. Partner has suggested length in this suit, so secondary "filler up" type cards become important for him to know about. In my style, I would cue bid 4C on Kx here and perhaps even Qxx but not on x, and I would do that before showing a diamond control. If partner continued with 4D over 4C, I would then cue bid a singleton or void in hearts, as this suit is not likely to be a source of tricks and by inference, partner's inability to take over the auction after 4C suggests a further control may be needed.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#5 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-14, 14:14

I like Winstonm's answer because it shows both the importance of having agreements with partner as well as the importance of always thinking during auctions and making the bids that best help partner given the context of the current board.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users