BBO Discussion Forums: What rules do BBO pairs tournaments use? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What rules do BBO pairs tournaments use?

#1 User is offline   evanrmurph 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-28, 13:58

I see some of the tournaments on BBO are hosted by the ACBL and mention they're governed by the GCC. But there are also tournaments hosted by many others where the rules are less clear to me looking.

What are the general rules of play for these other tournaments on BBO? Are they also GCC or generally less restrictive like only no HUMs?

I'm interested in playing with a weak opening bidding system like MOSCITO, but it seems GCC doesn't allow this. So I'm wondering if there will be opportunities to play online with such a system.

I'm mostly interested in the Pairs tournaments on BBO, because my understanding of the individual tournaments is that you always partner with one of the robots who only play 2/1.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-28, 15:29

Every tourney host sets their own rules. Ideally they should be mentioned in the tourney details, but not all tourney hosts do this, especially the free tourneys. If you're not sure what's allowed, contact the tourney host.

You don't partner with a robot in individual tourneys, you partner with a different human each round. The tournaments where you partner with a robot are the Robot Duplicate, Instant Tournaments, and Daylong Tournaments. These are also described as individual tournaments, but there are also traditional individuals with no robots.

#3 User is offline   evanrmurph 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-28, 18:10

barmar, good idea to contact the tourney hosts. And thanks for clarifying about the individual tourneys!

hrothgar, thanks for mentioning Open Chart! I had missed that ACBL was revising their convention parts and going into effect in November. Link to the new charts in case anyone else missed that: https://docs.google....=h.yxnvppfo0dpb

#4 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-April-29, 06:34

View Postevanrmurph, on 2018-April-28, 13:58, said:

I see some of the tournaments on BBO are hosted by the ACBL and mention they're governed by the GCC. But there are also tournaments hosted by many others where the rules are less clear to me looking.

What are the general rules of play for these other tournaments on BBO? Are they also GCC or generally less restrictive like only no HUMs?

I'm interested in playing with a weak opening bidding system like MOSCITO, but it seems GCC doesn't allow this. So I'm wondering if there will be opportunities to play online with such a system.

I'm mostly interested in the Pairs tournaments on BBO, because my understanding of the individual tournaments is that you always partner with one of the robots who only play 2/1.

The rules concerning competitive bridge are the Laws of Duplicate Bridge as agreed by the American Contract Bridge League,The British Bridge League in the UK and the
European Bridge League for other countries. The Laws are periodically updated. to keep up with modern trends.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-April-29, 07:04

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-April-29, 06:34, said:

The rules concerning competitive bridge are the Laws of Duplicate Bridge as agreed by the American Contract Bridge League,The British Bridge League in the UK and the
European Bridge League for other countries. The Laws are periodically updated. to keep up with modern trends.

Correct , but utterly irrelevant.

The original question has to do with the conditions of contest used by individual tournaments which are at the discretion of the event sponsor.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-29, 13:18

Please take discussion about interpretation of the new ACBL Convention Charts to a more appropriate foum, e.g. Changing Laws and Regulations, it's off-topic for this thread.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-30, 09:22

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-29, 13:18, said:

Please take discussion about interpretation of the new ACBL Convention Charts to a more appropriate foum, e.g. Changing Laws and Regulations, it's off-topic for this thread.

I moved all the posts about Richard's MOSCITO variation to http://www.bridgebas...cbl-open-chart/

#8 User is offline   ermurphy 

• Pip

Posted 2018-May-10, 14:50

Following up on the original topic, can anyone recommend any regular online tournaments with more permissive rules than GCC or even Open Chart, i.e. which allow bidding systems like MOSCITO?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users