• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three weeks until the election

#181 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:23

View PostPeterAlan, on 2015-May-19, 08:04, said:

May I nominate this for Overstatement Of The Year?

What sort of rental market do you think there would be without buy-to-let?

One that didn't price people out who are desperate to get on the "property ladder". I don't know how in a city with such a severe housing shortage.

The rental market and the sales market are as awful as each other here. London is under so much pressure. Even when house prices decline in the rest of the country they rise in London.

My friend has just bought a flat in a new development. They are building a block now (in the same development) which will be ready in about 4 months, and the increase in price on around £300,000 is ~£50,000 for the same flats.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#182 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-19, 08:16, said:

I also think this is a negative side effect of low interest rates. Buy to let can be done with cheap money, and some alternative money making schemes are hampered by the low savings rates offered.

I have no problems with your analysis there. But of course low interest rates would be likely to push up house prices even if there were no buying-to-let taking place at all.

#183 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:27

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-19, 08:23, said:

One that didn't price people out who are desperate to get on the "property ladder". I don't know how in a city with such a severe housing shortage.

The rental market and the sales market are as awful as each other here. London is under so much pressure. Even when house prices decline in the rest of the country they rise in London.

My friend has just bought a flat in a new development. They are building a block now (in the same development) which will be ready in about 4 months, and the increase in price on around £300,000 is ~£50,000 for the same flats.

Believe it or not, there is more to the UK than London.

A market without buy-to-let is necessarily pretty soon a market without private landlords. Where does that get us?

#184 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:36

View PostPeterAlan, on 2015-May-19, 08:27, said:

Yes. And I am sure that efforts are being made to turn other cities into places more people will,want to live and work in. I was going to mention this in my last post, as something that would help, but I didn't want to sound like I was putting down the other cities. This is not my intention.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#185 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-19, 09:20

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-19, 08:36, said:

Yes. And I am sure that efforts are being made to turn other cities into places more people will,want to live and work in. I was going to mention this in my last post, as something that would help, but I didn't want to sound like I was putting down the other cities. This is not my intention.

Not just the cities either. I now live in a small market town in the Oxfordshire / Warwickshire border region. There are a couple of identical buy-to-let 2/3-bedroom houses just near me - both will have cost c£200,000. An acquaintance has a small portfolio of 2 buy-to-lets - one in this region, which cost c £120,000, and one in Northampton, c £80,000. Both are providing affordable housing for people who couldn't dream of getting onto the purchase ladder at this point in their lives, and providing a practical investment for my acquaintance. Such properties will be even cheaper in other parts of the UK. These sorts of small scale buy-to-let arrangements are commonplace here. You can see why there are other perspectives.

#186 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-19, 10:07

View PostPeterAlan, on 2015-May-19, 08:27, said:

A market without buy-to-let is necessarily pretty soon a market without private landlords. Where does that get us?

Not entirely.

When I was renting my flat in London, the owners bought a place in Spain, retired, and rented out their old home.

When I was living there, I could esily have rented out my home in Norwich, in fact I had a friend living in it paying the bills.

Not every private landlord buys stuff with the intention of renting it out, although many do.

#187 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 10:22

View PostNickRW, on 2015-May-19, 04:37, said:

Frankly I don't understand where you are coming from. If the UK immigration policy were anything like as restrictive as that which the U.S. operates, then calling Farage a xenophobe might have some basis in fact.

What does one have to do with the other? Someone who makes up a lie about immigrants coming to the UK in large number in order to get HIV treatment is
  • a jerk, and
  • trying to score political points off xenophobic fears.

Are you telling me he didn't try to pull similar stunts before I started following UK politics?

(And I am not conceding your point about the comparison of UK and US immigration policy, but that's for another time.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#188 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-19, 14:27

View Postcherdano, on 2015-May-19, 10:22, said:

What does one have to do with the other? Someone who makes up a lie about immigrants coming to the UK in large number in order to get HIV treatment is
  • a jerk, and

Are you telling me he didn't try to pull similar stunts before I started following UK politics?

"Makes up a lie" is putting too fine a point on it. Health tourism is a problem; just not nearly as extensive a one as UKIP would have us believe.

#189 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-May-19, 14:39

I remain pleased to see a political thread here that is not focused on the USA. I'm fine with the USA, I just get tired of discussing it.

The details now being addressed are about things where I have no knowledge at all. That's not a complaint, it's just a fact. I expect to keep reading with interest.
Ken

#190 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 15:57

Fear of HIV is not xenophobia. It's pathophobia. Different thing altogether. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#191 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-19, 16:00

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-19, 14:27, said:

"Makes up a lie" is putting too fine a point on it. Health tourism is a problem; just not nearly as extensive a one as UKIP would have us believe.

There is plenty of health tourism, most of it is not HIV related.

#192 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-20, 08:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-19, 16:00, said:

There is plenty of health tourism, most of it is not HIV related.

I suppose that HIV patients are more expensive to treat than most, since the condition is chronic and the treatment costly. I guess this is what was trying to scare people about.

#193 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 09:01

View Postcherdano, on 2015-May-19, 10:22, said:

• a jerk, and

(And I am not conceding your point about the comparison of UK and US immigration policy, but that's for another time.)

It seems to me you mainly want to make this into a denigrate Farage fest, rather than a debate about anything.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#194 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-20, 10:07

http://www.theguardi...ent-cost-to-nhs

Uk sends much more health tourists abroad than it receives. But nhs could do a better job in recovering costs from the tourists
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#195 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 10:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-May-20, 10:07, said:

Uk sends much more health tourists abroad than it receives.

So, health tourism may indeed be a problem. But running on an anti-emigration platform (with an 'e') doesn't get you many votes. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#196 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-20, 10:32

Uk sends much more health tourists abroad than it receives. But nhs could do a better job in recovering costs from the tourists

The article, despite the subtitle, doesn't seem to be about health tourists at all, but about actual tourists who become ill while travelling.

#197 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 12:42

View PostNickRW, on 2015-May-20, 09:01, said:

It seems to me you mainly want to make this into a denigrate Farage fest, rather than a debate about anything.

LOL. I made a post making four factual arguments, and one off-hand comment about Farage. I mostly got replies about Farage, most of them misstating what I said (including your own post).
Apparently I have struck a nerve with some posters here.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#198 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-20, 13:07

This is not health tourism. Health tourism is coming from a country where you would either have to pay for treatment or would get indifferent treatment, then getting treated free on the NHS. Coming over from Africa while 7 months pregnant and saying you're 4 months pregnant to get the birth in the UK for example.

#199 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-May-20, 14:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-20, 13:07, said:

This is not health tourism. Health tourism is coming from a country where you would either have to pay for treatment or would get indifferent treatment, then getting treated free on the NHS. Coming over from Africa while 7 months pregnant and saying you're 4 months pregnant to get the birth in the UK for example.

In the US, the expression is often used to describe situations where US citizens travel to foreign countries for medical treatment.
Typically, the motivation is taking advantage of less expensive medical services.

In general, these cost savings have nothing to do with Health Insurance systems in other country, rather they reflect the deeply dysfunctional nature of the sytsem in the US.
Alderaan delenda est

#200 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-May-20, 16:25

In the US, the expression is often used to describe situations where US citizens travel to foreign countries for medical treatment.
Typically, the motivation is taking advantage of less expensive medical services.

Every so often I wonder if I am naive or what? I have known people who have, say, broken a leg in Paris and had it treated there. I don't much keep track of these events but my impression is that they have been pleased. To the best of my knowledge, no one I know has ever intentionally gone abroad for medical treatment. I think I would know, and since it would be a surprise I think I would remember. Of course there have been times when only a half dozen or maybe even fewer doctors or treatment centers in the world can perform a certain action, and then people go to where these places are. I have heard of such things, I have no experience with it.

I don't want to divert the thread to a discussion of American behavior, wise or unwise, proper or improper, but I did want to record the fact that an American going off to London or Paris for the sole purpose of medical treatment is simply outside of my experience. I mean putting a stop to the subsidizing. If people come and pay the actual costs, I suppose no one much minds.

If it is a common practice I would certainly approve of the UK or the EU putting a stop to it. There is no reason people in the EU should be subsidizing our health care.
Ken

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users